RIP Johnny Gaudreau

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
From the Calgary forum board.

Absolutely gut wrenching.
lnFgPEZ.jpeg

I can't even imagine and I hope I never need to.

With kids myself I just don't know if I could actually function anymore.

I'd easily trade places.

Reactions: horner

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Still reeling over this. I worry about my friends and family who bike places. When I used to bike within the city over a decade ago it never felt particularly safe on the road. I've stopped drinking for a number of reasons and am starting to really not like alcohol as a substance. Terrible to see a family tragedy like this. Gutted for the Gaudreau family. This never should have happened :(

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Tough to find words for this, just so unbelievably heartbreaking and unfair

LeafsStorm

Oct 22, 2011
I'm having a really hard time with this. I f***ing detest drunk drivers with a passion. When I was younger, I had many nights where I thought - sure I could drive, but always decided not to. I usually walked or asked for a ride. I was always welcome to leave my car wherever I was. I just cannot grasp the sheer stupidity and selfishness it takes to decide it's okay to drive drunk. This isn't a new thing, it's constantly out there not to do it.. yet people continue to decide they are above others and common effing sense to do so .Do we really need to install fking breath starts on vehicles because idiots like this continue to kill innocent fking people? I'm so angry. All day I can't stop thinking about how it must feel for the family. There was no reason this needed to happen. Just fking pointless

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
R.I.P. Johnny Hockey. May your younger brother, Matthew, R.I.P. too.

Such an unfathomable tragedy !!! Such a huge shock for the Gaudreau family !!!

My heartfelt condolences to his family, his friends, and all of his hockey teammates, past and present. Same goes for Matthew.

Drinking and driving should warrant the death penalty, especially when you kill someone !!!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
An absolute tragedy and will be felt heavily around the league. Johnny was one of the most popular and well-connected American player in the league among players. That New England fraternity of NHLers is very close (I know he's from NJ, but he was a 3 year BC guy), and he was part of that family.

Can't imagine his family right now.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I'm having a really hard time with this. I f***ing detest drunk drivers with a passion. When I was younger, I had many nights where I thought - sure I could drive, but always decided not to. I usually walked or asked for a ride. I was always welcome to leave my car wherever I was. I just cannot grasp the sheer stupidity and selfishness it takes to decide it's okay to drive drunk. This isn't a new thing, it's constantly out there not to do it.. yet people continue to decide they are above others and common effing sense to do so .Do we really need to install fking breath starts on vehicles because idiots like this continue to kill innocent fking people? I'm so angry. All day I can't stop thinking about how it must feel for the family. There was no reason this needed to happen. Just fking pointless
The law itself confesses the impracticality of not having anything to drink in an alcoholic society while driving by having a legal BAC limit of 0.08 and so it instead decides that the most practical solution to keep everyone happy and not to disturb the monopolizers of any one industry (auto and alcohol) is to have people who have started drinking make an assessment on if they are sober enough (because drunk people are so amazing at that) to drive. It’s hypocrisy to the left, it’s hypocrisy to the right, it’s hypocrisy to the north and it’s hypocrisy to the south.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
He probably saw the SUV as trying to stop him from passing and decided he'd show them by just overtaking on the right. A decision that almost surely was caused by a drunken state that couldn't assess the situation properly or quickly enough. While I can't imagine the awful feeling when he realized what the SUV was doing and what he had done I have little sympathy for drunk drivers.

horner

May 22, 2007
2 lane highways are stupid dangerous.

I don’t like driving a car on them, and I definitely don’t ride a bike on them, where possible.
Sunset at that time would have been 730 pm.
I cycled decades ago even during the day I didn't like riding on highways or county roads.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
He probably saw the SUV as trying to stop him from passing and decided he'd show them by just overtaking on the right. A decision that almost surely was caused by a drunken state that couldn't assess the situation properly or quickly enough. While I can't imagine the awful feeling when he realized what the SUV was doing and what he had done I have little sympathy for drunk drivers.
I agree 100%! To me, it's no different than someone shooting and killing people. Whatever sentence they would get, drunken drivers should get the same! I had a nephew who was killed by a drunk driver, and he only got a 6 month jail sentence (granted, this was back in the late 70s, but even so, just a 6 month jail sentence for killing someone!).
There needs to be stiffer/more serious consequences for people who are caught driving impaired, rather than not until they kill someone! To me, that might help deter some people from continuing to drive while impaired.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad