Online Series: Rings of Power season 2 (August 29)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mcdraividmoto

Sep 28, 2017
I mean it was OVERWHELMINGLY the opinion that season 1 of HoD was much better than RoP. So a small group of friends is a tiny sample size.

That’s fine but to call it a masterpiece lol you must be part of the people who think it even holds a candle to GoT when it was subpar in writing, editing, and acting. The show has no memorable characters whatsoever other than maybe Viserys and younger Rhaenyra. But they do a great job of leaving everything interesting to happen off screen I’ll give them that.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That’s fine but to call it a masterpiece lol you must be part of the people who think it even holds a candle to GoT when it was subpar in writing, editing, and acting. The show has no memorable characters whatsoever other than maybe Viserys and younger Rhaenyra. But they do a great job of leaving everything interesting to happen off screen I’ll give them that.
Well I wouldn't agree that HotD is a masterpiece, but imo it's very much better than Rings of Power. And I could say I'm biased as a Thrones fan but I grew up with Tolkien. Not Martin. I wanted so badly for this show to be good but I couldn't stomach it enough to even finish the first season. It's better than Wheel of Time...I'll give it that.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I’m guessing we didn’t watch the same show? A group of us watched both seasons last year and hated HOTD but loved RoP. All the comments about he pacing of RoP and HOTD does it 1000 times worse. They slow down on useless moments while skipping actual content that furthers the plot. S2 of HOTD did that even worse which made it dull and lifeless.

Barely finished episode 1 of Ring or Power. Poor show from what I saw. And most comments are not positive.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

mcdraividmoto

Sep 28, 2017
Well I wouldn't agree that HotD is a masterpiece, but imo it's very much better than Rings of Power. And I could say I'm biased as a Thrones fan but I grew up with Tolkien. Not Martin. I wanted so badly for this show to be good but I couldn't stomach it enough to even finish the first season. It's better than Wheel of Time...I'll give it that.
I guess we’ll see. I have a feeling after a very poor and uneventful S2 of HOTD, and based on how S2 of RoP looks so far with the trailers, that those opinions may change.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I guess we’ll see. I have a feeling after a very poor and uneventful S2 of HOTD, and based on how S2 of RoP looks so far with the trailers, that those opinions may change.
Maybe we watched different trailers. The one that I saw didn't make it appear any better than S1. It looked similarly fake and corny and the dialogue sounded as lame. Even if it ends up being an improvement, though, I'll likely still take the disappointing S2 of HotD over it. At least HotD has terrific production design and dialogue and characters with personalities and motivations. RoP doesn't and relies on tropes and IP references, which I find more tiresome and boring than slow, uneventful plots.

Last edited:

mcdraividmoto

Sep 28, 2017
Maybe we watched different trailers. The one that I saw didn't give me any hope that I'd like S2 any better than S1. It looked as fake and corny and the dialogue sounded as lame. Even if it ends up being an improvement, I'll likely still take the disappointing S2 of HotD over it. At least HotD has terrific production design and dialogue and characters with personalities and motivations. RoP doesn't and relies on tropes and IP references, which I find more tiresome and boring than a slow, uneventful plot.
Funny because everything you just said about RoP I feel about HOTD. Their production design and cinematography is terrible. Their characters are very one-dimensional and I feel no connection to them as opposed to GoT S1-4 at least. They focus on very specific scenes like Alicent floating instead of giving context for other scenes. The pacing is absolutely terrible. HOTD is relying on references to the long night to push its story too and other tropes.

But anyways I hope s2 is better and I hope people enjoy it more and give it a fair shot.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Funny because everything you just said about RoP I feel about HOTD. Their production design and cinematography is terrible. Their characters are very one-dimensional and I feel no connection to them as opposed to GoT S1-4 at least. They focus on very specific scenes like Alicent floating instead of giving context for other scenes. The pacing is absolutely terrible. HOTD is relying on references to the long night to push its story too and other tropes.

But anyways I hope s2 is better and I hope people enjoy it more and give it a fair shot.
Hopefully you can be unbiased as well. Pretty clear it could be dogshit and you will say it was amazing lol (like the 1st season).

Reactions: I am not exposed

mcdraividmoto

Sep 28, 2017
Lot
Hopefully you can be unbiased as well. Pretty clear it could be dogshit and you will say it was amazing lol (like the 1st season).
Lots of people really enjoyed it but next time I’ll consult you the authority on all things tv who called HOTD a masterpiece lol when in reality it’s the equivalent of a Telemundo soap opera

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It was a disappointing 1st season definitely but I didn't think it was irredeemable. There were a couple good episodes later in the season. They did a lot of clumsy setup but now that they're through all that character and plot introduction there should be more engaging stuff on screen. S1 of HotD was also quite a lot of setup, just less clumsy with more depth of character to work with.

All that major plotlines are at least established. That should make for better TV in the 2nd season but I guess we'll see. My expectations aren't super high which is unfortunate for Tolkien IP with an Amazon budget.

Reactions: JBeast

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
I just finished a rewatch of S1 and it actually improved my opinion after initially being very disappointed the first time through. It looks beautiful and the sets/environments/landscapes are great. The Southlands/Numenor stuff was good, and of course, the Kazad Dum stuff was amazing. The Harfoot stuff still is awful - really, no one likes them. But generally, the flaws are easily fixed. Better dialog and stop with the logistical plot holes. The actors are good enough to pull this off, they desperately need better writers.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I just finished a rewatch of S1 and it actually improved my opinion after initially being very disappointed the first time through. It looks beautiful and the sets/environments/landscapes are great. The Southlands/Numenor stuff was good, and of course, the Kazad Dum stuff was amazing. The Harfoot stuff still is awful - really, no one likes them. But generally, the flaws are easily fixed. Better dialog and stop with the logistical plot holes. The actors are good enough to pull this off, they desperately need better writers.

I tried a re-watch and I could not slog through it. The dialog was just awful and goofy and overbearing. Halbrand's speaking parts were fine (go Suarom!) but whenever Galadriel spoke it was unwatchable. I could not finish a rewatch.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The production values were good, but the writing and characters mostly bad.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The production values were good, but the writing and characters mostly bad.

It’s high-budget fan fiction. There is no way it can do justice to Tolkien.

When Peter Jackson’s films came out I didn’t really like them. I’ve come to appreciate them for what they are, an honest attempt to put a complicated story on the screen. But in a way I think it’s a shame he made them back them. GoT showed what you could do with fantasy in a series format. I think LotR might have worked better if Jackson (or whomever) made it today as a series. Think three 12 (or whatever) episode seasons rather than 3 movies. You could have so much of the depth of the books that the movies (unfortunately but understandably) left out.

But instead we get RoP. :(

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

When Peter Jackson’s films came out I didn’t really like them. I’ve come to appreciate them for what they are, an honest attempt to put a complicated story on the screen. But in a way I think it’s a shame he made them back them. GoT showed what you could do with fantasy in a series format. I think LotR might have worked better if Jackson (or whomever) made it today as a series. Think three 12 (or whatever) episode seasons rather than 3 movies. You could have so much of the depth of the books that the movies (unfortunately but understandably) left out.

I'm not that obsessed with something exactly following the source material, I really don't give a shit whether it is "fan fiction" or not. It's irrelevant to its quality. The problem is that the series was full of plot holes, bad dialogue, and shoddy characters.

The LotR films are amazing achievements and great films. There are things I like better about the book and things I like better about the films. The point is though that they both work for the medium they are in. If someone tried to adapt the book 1:1 into film or TV, it wouldn't work because the book just isn't structured in a way that translates to the screen.

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Personal taste aside I don't think you could be more wrong here, the LotR trilogy probably came out at just the right time. First of all GoT or not you can't get the same budget on a TV show that you can on the big screen, so Fellowship would be fine but for Two Towers and Return of the King the big battle scenes will be greatly reduced. Speaking of which, the trilogy was kind of the last hurrah of special effects, done 10 years later and it would be mostly CGI like the Hobbit Trilogy was.

Also as far as fantasy series goes Lord of the Rings is relatively short. Looking it up quickly, there's a word count of 480K words. On A Song of Ice and Fire side Game of Thrones has 292K, Clash of Kings 318K, and Storm of Swords 414K. For Lord of the Rings the theatrical release is a little tight running just over 9 hours total, but if you take the extended editions they add about an hour to each movie so you run over 12 hours. That's a pretty decent conversion of screen time vs word count compared to HBO's Game of Thrones.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Tolkien's trilogy adapted into a premium TV series could've been epic. Imagine if each book were an entire season. That said, I don't have a lot of faith that it would've been good nowadays, with the prevalence of CGI, political correctness and content for content's sake, and especially not in the hands of Amazon. We're probably lucky that we got the adaptation that we did when we did and when someone who truly cared for the trilogy and being faithful to it was willing to do it. Besides, without its success making fantasy hugely popular, we likely wouldn't have gotten Game of Thrones (and other fantasy adaptations).

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I'm not that obsessed with something exactly following the source material, I really don't give a shit whether it is "fan fiction" or not. It's irrelevant to its quality. The problem is that the series was full of plot holes, bad dialogue, and shoddy characters.

The LotR films are amazing achievements and great films. There are things I like better about the book and things I like better about the films. The point is though that they both work for the medium they are in. If someone tried to adapt the book 1:1 into film or TV, it wouldn't work because the book just isn't structured in a way that translates to the screen.

I’m not obsessed with absolute faithfulness to original material either, I love Basil Rathbone’s Sherlock Holmes and for the most part they greatly differed from the books. Like I said, I’ve come to appreciate the films for what they are but when they came out I had been waiting decades (I read the books in the late ‘70s) for someone to put them on the screen and I just wasn’t expecting that.

Of course you can’t adapt the book 1:1 to the screen, I don’t know if that’s been done with any book. The Harry Potter films were excellent adaptations of the books and they weren’t 1:1. But if the right people were guiding things (and I don’t know who those people would be) you could certainly do a more faithful adaptation if you don’t need to cram it all into 3 films. It would be very different of course, less action and spectacle but more “Tolkien”.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Tolkien's trilogy adapted into a premium TV series could've been epic. Imagine if each book were an entire season. That said, I don't have a lot of faith that it would've been good nowadays, with the prevalence of CGI, political correctness and content for content's sake, and especially not in the hands of Amazon. We're probably lucky that we got the adaptation that we did when we did and when someone who truly cared for the trilogy and being faithful to it was willing to do it. Besides, without its success making fantasy hugely popular, we likely wouldn't have gotten Game of Thrones (and other fantasy adaptations).
If done today, we would get new characters and events spliced in the story to "enhance it". Anything considered "problematic" would get changed too.

I just can't stand the arrogance of some writers that think that they know better than the original writer and creator. If they are so great, they can create their own original content instead of hijacking timeless works of arts.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Thoughts on the season 2 trailer, including some inferences of mine about the writer's motives.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Annatar in the trailer, as I thought Halbrand was a replacement for the Sauron in disguise plotline. I hated Halbrand being Sauron so much that I honestly don't care a bit about any of the plot holes this creates for Season 1. Seems like they accepted it and moved on. But here's my inference to their motives: their original intention was for Halbrand to replace Annatar, but they botched it so bad that they ended up brining in Annatar anyway, which is to say having Annatar wasn't part of the original plan, as he does feel shoehorned into what the plot set up in Season 1. I also hated them making the rings out of order as well as knowing the mystery being whom helped make them was Sauron prior to him forging the one, though the question of them exploring whether to use the rings knowing Sauron had a hand in them but prior to him creating the one is an intriguing one.

Having Tom Bombadil in this demonstrates they didn't learn their lesson from the Harfoot's inclusion in S1 though. Completely pointless plots for the overall story being told. I think S2 will be better than S1, but mistakes like this and the hole S1 put the show in doesn't have me expecting something great.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
First 3 episodes out today. I like that rather than have to wait each week. From the trailers it seems season 2 is more darker. Which is a step in the right way.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
LOTR was only so successful because they filmed all three movies at once, on location, and got full commitment from the cast, crew, and Peter Jackson.

Turning the film series into a multi season show probably wouldn’t allow for the same tender care

Reactions: PeteWorrell

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
On the flip side, there's The Verge, whose review has the subtitle "Amazon’s Lord of the Rings show continues to be phenomenal in ways that only a truly wild budget could make possible" and opens with "The first season of Amazon’s The Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power series was a spectacular piece of storytelling." I stopped reading at that point, but I assume that it's a positive review.

Believe it or not, most reviews so far appear to be positive, since RT's critic score is 86%. However, Season 1 has an 83%, so critics who liked Season 1 also liking Season 2 probably doesn't mean much if you didn't like Season 1, yourself.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
On the flip side, there's The Verge, whose review has the subtitle "Amazon’s Lord of the Rings show continues to be phenomenal in ways that only a truly wild budget could make possible" and opens with "The first season of Amazon’s The Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power series was a spectacular piece of storytelling." I stopped reading at that point, but I assume that it's a positive review.

Believe it or not, most reviews so far appear to be positive, since RT's critic score is 86%. However, Season 1 has an 83%, so critics who liked Season 1 also liking Season 2 probably doesn't mean much if you didn't like Season 1, yourself.

People are calling out those reviews saying it's BS :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad