Prospect Info: Riley Patterson (C/RW - OHL, Barrie Colts) | 125th Overall 2024 Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
We haven’t drafted too many people out of the OHL lately - now two picks in the same draft.

Can’t wait to learn more about them.
Exactly the kind of value picks you're looking for.....Patterson and Romani obviously have a few holes in their games---they'd have been drafted higher if they didn't.

But you start with the basics of skating, shooting and offensive awareness. Everything else you can work with. That's what 'player development' is all about once they're in your system and working with coaches like the Sedins.

And the fact is that in the last half of the OHL season, these two kids were two of the most dangerous offensive players in the league. And one of them--Patterson--is a center to boot.

For the first time in years I have some faith that the Canucks scouting staff can actually pick players from the CHL who have some serious upside. I'm guessing that both these kids will be at development camp next week--and Canuck fans can get an up-close viewing.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Exactly the kind of value picks you're looking for.....Patterson and Romani obviously have a few holes in their games---they'd have been drafted higher if they didn't.

But you start with the basics of skating, shooting and offensive awareness. Everything else you can work with. That's what 'player development' is all about once they're in your system and working with coaches like the Sedins.

And the fact is that in the last half of the OHL season, these two kids were two of the most dangerous offensive players in the league. And one of them--Patterson--is a center to boot.

For the first time in years I have some faith that the Canucks scouting staff can actually pick players from the CHL who have some serious upside. I'm guessing that both these kids will be at development camp next week--and Canuck fans can get an up-close viewing.
Actually our record with forwards in the OHL has been pretty good over the years. Hodgson would have been pretty good if not for his medical issues, Horvat is very good, McCann is as well, Gaunce and Gadjovich are fringe NHLers but still getting contracts year after year. The rest are pretty much Meh but that’s still a pretty good track record especially considering the limited number of picks we’ve spent there.

Our Ontario scouts seem fine, at least as far as forwards go, its the Q and WHL scouts that have been hugely disappointing and have seemingly been pushed to the side in recent years.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Like Alcos was a CHL rookie last year and once he settled in had 51 points in his last 48 games with a ton of ES production.

Getting a C with plus skating and ok size at this point of the draft with that level of production seems like a good bet.

Worth noting that his FO numbers would indicate he split the season between wing and C.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Like Alcos was a CHL rookie last year and once he settled in had 51 points in his last 48 games with a ton of ES production.

Getting a C with plus skating and ok size at this point of the draft with that level of production seems like a good bet.

Worth noting that his FO numbers would indicate he split the season between wing and C.

Elite prospect has him as a winger and one of he articles I read on him said he spent most the year on the wing. Figured that was worth reflecting in the thread title.

Reactions: Truniht

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Elite prospect has him as a winger and one of he articles I read on him said he spent most the year on the wing. Figured that was worth reflecting in the thread title.

He took 10 or more faceoffs in 36 of 68 games but most of the games where he didn’t were in the last 2 months of the season. So I *think* he played a bit more C than wing overall but more wing than C down the stretch late in the season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I would have gone with Colton Roberts.

Otherwise, it's been a while since we drafted guys that actually projects to be a bottom 6 guy. Chances of hearing "Pettersson up to Pettersson over to Patterson back to Pettersson..." is slim... :sarcasm:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
At least Patterson and Romani are both 6' and project to play in the 190-200 range. So they're certainly not 'small' by any teams.

Normally when teams are drafting junior scoring phenoms in later rounds, it's because their size is a concern on how they'll be able to transition to the pro level.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
So he has essentially the same scoring totals as the 28th pick to Utah on the same team

League worst PK%, like Outlier territory it is so bad
2nd to last in PP%,

not really much going on on the special teams for Barrie.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad