Speculation: *Rifai vs. Liljegren. It's a thing: Rifai Clears!!!!

With the winds of change blowing through the Scotiabank Arena, who will be their 6th D?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I would be surprised if Rifai is claimed. 26 year old with 2 NHL games. This time of the year everyone is trying to squeeze their guys to the minors.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It’s the result everyone without a weird Liljegren hate obsession was expecting. Lily isn’t perfect, and he’s definitely a guy who leaves you wanting more in terms of potential vs reality, but he’s clearly better than Rifai, it’s not that close.
Is he $2m better than the guys he's competing against?
For me, he isn't.
It's crazy that they went from wanting to trade him, to signing him to $3m x 2, all within a matter of days.
The Samsonov arbitration award really scared the hell out of them and they panicked.

Reactions: rumman

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Is he $2m better than the guys he's competing against?
For me, he isn't.
It's crazy that they went from wanting to trade him, to signing him to $3m x 2, all within a matter of days.
The Samsonov arbitration award really scared the hell out of them and they panicked.

It would be nice if that was the way it worked.

Too bad the NHL doesn't permit performance based compensation.

Goals * y$
Assists * x$
Save Percentage * w$

et cetera.

Union Step approach + performance money ...

We won't get into tax ratio.

Reactions: rumman

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Looks like this wasn't a "thing" after all. What is still a thing is Leafs valuing an NHL d man in Lilly over an AHL d man in Rifai. Of course they might still trade Lilly, but it won't be to make room for Rifai.
#closethread

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Timmins and Rifai throw down.
Winner to face Liljegren.
Unless Liljegren is banned from hockey all together. In fact I expect an annoucement soon from the NHL saying "the NHL has determined that Timothy Liljegren will no longer be allowed to play in the NHL, which will include all levels of hockey including community rinks across the world as a result of his incompetent play. He is shaming the sport and hope to never associate his name with hockey again".

The NHL will further comment when Marshall Rifai and Connor Timmins are given Co norris trophies on Wednesday October 9th before puck drop.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
He does need to make the jump this season. The 3m is basically the no excuses contract. They invested heavily developing him and he needs to do something special.

The tools are there. Its his head that isnt. Sort of like Alex Nylander. Not talking about smarts here. Drive determination confidence in making a decision that is good without second guessing.
I will submit just a bit and agree that Timothy Liljegren is indeed a human being.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
The fear of a player succeeding elsewhere cannot be the driving force in making roster decisions, because you must build your roster with an idea in mind, not out of a fear drive.
MLSE employees take the easy route.

During that time he played really well and the PP ran like a well oiled machine. As soon as Reilly comes back from my memory he no longer even got 2nd PP duties and his game went to shit (as did the PP).
Reilly is definitely a PP2 player.

Leafs aren’t going to deal one of their few righties to play another left-handed guy at right defence, full stop.
Absolutely

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It would be nice if that was the way it worked.

Too bad the NHL doesn't permit performance based compensation.

Goals * y$
Assists * x$
Save Percentage * w$

et cetera.

Union Step approach + performance money ...

We won't get into tax ratio.
Hard to promote teamwork like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad