Speculation: *Rifai vs. Liljegren. It's a thing and it's happening.

With the winds of change blowing through the Scotiabank Arena, who will be their 6th D?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Not the elite result I was envisioning.

I am sorry.

Rifai Mania is not a thing like Brandon Kozun Mania was.

Life with Liljegren will have to live on sadly.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
It’s the result everyone without a weird Liljegren hate obsession was expecting. Lily isn’t perfect, and he’s definitely a guy who leaves you wanting more in terms of potential vs reality, but he’s clearly better than Rifai, it’s not that close.
I don't think that people from sportsnet/tsn hate Liljegren. They felt that Rifai would make the team and be their #7 D. I suppose Berube/Tre felt that Liljegren will be a better #7.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Rifai has his limitations and was rightfully waived. It doesn’t really mean Lilly is off the hook tho.
Tre kicking himself now and is probably looking to trade him.
I am a fan of Lilly but he just hasn’t taken that next step….and Berube isn’t a fan.

The writing is on the wall I assume…

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I don't think that people from sportsnet/tsn hate Liljegren. They felt that Rifai would make the team and be their #7 D. I suppose Berube/Tre felt that Liljegren will be a better #7.
How are you figuring #7? Assuming McCabe is healthy for game 1, and Hakanpaa is on IR, our most likely top 6 D to start the season are Rielly, Tanev, McCabe, Benoit, OEL and Liljegren. And I think for now Myers will be the #7. Hakanpaa is skating again but seems a decent way from game ready.

When Hakanpaa gets healthy, will be interesting to see how he slots in vs Liljegren and Myers, he could be anywhere from our #6 to #8, or even worse than #8 if he’s really lost a step.

I think it’s reasonably likely Rifai clears waivers, and gets a shot with the Leafs as an injury callup at some point this season. But I just do not see him as being on Liljegren’s level, either offensively or defensively. He’s more physical and brings more energy/motor, but the skill gap is too big.

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
68% to 32%

Decisive.
Leafs HFboards love scapegoating players, Marner and Liljegren being the two biggest current ones, but there are always multiple. Leafs have been a very frustrating team for a long time, and the fan frustration constantly bubbles over into hate for specific players/coaches. Doesn’t mean it’s rational, though, or in line with what Leafs management think.

Liljegren is in a similar position to younger versions of Nylander or Kadri - a young player with clear potential who hasn’t hit it yet. Not that Lily’s potential is as high as those 2, but he’s similar in being a skilled/talented player with a lot more to give. Coaches are always gonna focus more on these guys because of the potential payoff, so it will often seem that they’re in the coach’s doghouse, but the coach is just trying to get the most out of them. It doesn’t mean they’re worse than AHLers, it just means they need to work hard and clean up their weaknesses to reach their potential. Nylander and Kadri did so, hopefully Lily can too.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It’s the result everyone without a weird Liljegren hate obsession was expecting. Lily isn’t perfect, and he’s definitely a guy who leaves you wanting more in terms of potential vs reality, but he’s clearly better than Rifai, it’s not that close.
Liljegren is also a bit younger and has far more in the way of NHL experience.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
If you saw Rifai and Liligren play (and don’t know who was who), were not told what round they were drafted in or how old they are, most people would say Rifai is better. But people can’t get over Liligren being a former 1st rd pick, he’s just not good.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If you saw Rifai and Liligren play, but were not told what round they were drafted in or how old they are, most people would say Rifai is better. But people can’t get over Liligren being a former 1st rd pick, he’s just not good.
There is no other fanbase in the league that is so divided on what a good D looks like than this one.

Justin Holl just got put on waivers and we had an entire section of the fanbase constantly try and gaslight the rest of the fanbase insisting that he was an elite shutdown D.

Leafs HFboards love scapegoating players, Marner and Liljegren being the two biggest current ones, but there are always multiple. Leafs have been a very frustrating team for a long time, and the fan frustration constantly bubbles over into hate for specific players/coaches. Doesn’t mean it’s rational, though, or in line with what Leafs management think.

Liljegren is in a similar position to younger versions of Nylander or Kadri - a young player with clear potential who hasn’t hit it yet. Not that Lily’s potential is as high as those 2, but he’s similar in being a skilled/talented player with a lot more to give. Coaches are always gonna focus more on these guys because of the potential payoff, so it will often seem that they’re in the coach’s doghouse, but the coach is just trying to get the most out of them. It doesn’t mean they’re worse than AHLers, it just means they need to work hard and clean up their weaknesses to reach their potential. Nylander and Kadri did so, hopefully Lily can too.
There's no scapegoating. It's been 7 years since he's been drafted now.

He just ain't cutting at the NHL level, sorry.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Didn't any of the Liljegren Apologists get nervous when Toronto put him with the B Squad? The way people talk about him it's as though he's a lock. I don't think so.
Yeah when Berube hit town the writing was already on the wall for LIiljegren.

We're not dealing with any of these soft terrible D anymore, we actually have a coach who knows what a winning D is supposed to look like.

Reactions: GoonieFace

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Yeah when Berube hit town the writing was already on the wall for LIiljegren.

We're not dealing with any of these soft terrible D anymore, we actually have a coach who knows what a winning D is supposed to look like.
Yup, Rifai on waivers, that'll teach that soft Lilly chicken swede!!!!

If you saw Rifai and Liligren play (and don’t know who was who), were not told what round they were drafted in or how old they are, most people would say Rifai is better. But people can’t get over Liligren being a former 1st rd pick, he’s just not good.
ummm, Rifai on waivers.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There is no other fanbase in the league that is so divided on what a good D looks like than this one.

Justin Holl just got put on waivers and we had an entire section of the fanbase constantly try and gaslight the rest of the fanbase insisting that he was an elite shutdown D.

To be fair, Yzerman also thought he was worth 10+ mil

That said,.hard to disagree that the Leafs as an organization has been awful at drafting and developing young D men. I don't think a single GM in the cap era has even challenged that trend (with the slight caveat that some of Dubas'/Tres picks remain question marks still)

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

The previous management managed to brainwash a huge section of the fanbase. To be fair to them, that is a hugely impressive feat and a great trait to have for someone in charge.

The outcry and mouring over the loss of Sam Lafferty was rampant within the group that now don't seem to be able to think for themselves.

How many times do we see fans post graphs to show someone had a good game? We know they had a good game without any chart or graph being needed.

And when moves from previous management didn't work out (this happened frequently), apparently the logic was always really good, just didn't work out.

I didn't see the logic with about 90% of the moves the previous management made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad