Speculation: *Rifai vs. Liljegren. It's a thing and it's happening.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

With the winds of change blowing through the Scotiabank Arena, who will be their 6th D?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
It's crazy how bad he is defensively and yet when he is on the ice, the team does the best out of any D we have.

View attachment 911974

you need to be careful with those kind of stats

by exemple last playoff Benoit started 57 in defensive faceoff vs 26 for lilly

in the other end benoit started only 14 time vs 45 for liljegren

so during 31 time like 50 % of them would result in a faceoff win or lost...and most of the time when toure losinf the facoff, you will defend the next 15-20-30-45 sec and same thing in the offensive side.

So at the in the 7 games series, at least 5-6 where liljegren play in offensive situation to boost all those stats and the same amount of time where that's impact negatively Benoit stats because of t
how he had been used.

Did that really make Liljegren a better player at the end?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I remember when he was drafted and how many were saying he projects to be a bottom pair D. When he eventually made it to the AHL sentiment was confirmed by those that watched him. Appears they assessed him properly.
He's never been fully healthy and his injuries have always been lower body, which means harder to come back from especially for a defenceman who needs to rely on his skating.

I'm not sure who these assesors were that you're referring too, but the Leafs have always had him pegged as a middle pairing guy who'll kill penalties. So far when he is healthy that is what he is.

Those guys don't grow on trees they are hard to find and we might have one in Liljegren and that ain't nothin!

Reactions: supermann_98

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
you need to be careful with those kind of stats

by exemple last playoff Benoit started 57 in defensive faceoff vs 26 for lilly

in the other end benoit started only 14 time vs 45 for liljegren

so during 31 time like 50 % of them would result in a faceoff win or lost...and most of the time when toure losinf the facoff, you will defend the next 15-20-30-45 sec and same thing in the offensive side.

So at the in the 7 games series, at least 5-6 where liljegren play in offensive situation to boost all those stats and the same amount of time where that's impact negatively Benoit stats because of t
how he had been used.

Did that really make Liljegren a better player at the end?

They both start 60-70% on the fly... zone starts are overrated (they have value but not lots).

Benoit starts 2 out of every 10 shifts in the defensive zone, and Liljegren starts 1 out of every 10.

Not sure that is something to go crazy over.

Are you using 5v5 stats?

What would you suggest is a adequate sample size?

View attachment 911992

I'd like to see more, but pretending Timmins has played badly in his time is wrong.

I'm going by the available data, not my fault he hasn't been played more.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I'm just guessing, but with so little playing time, he is unlikely playing the tough assignments.

Ya, I assume he is getting easier assignments, not arguing he should be a #1 D, just arguing that he has performed well when playing.

Reactions: ACC1224

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ya, I assume he is getting easier assignments, not arguing he should be a #1 D, just arguing that he has performed well when playing.

Over 5 years he's played 91 games.

We all wish that he can keep that up as a full time NHL player.

1727970976394.png

Next Justin Holl?

1727970906720.png

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Too bad JVR and Kadri had good years that year.
We made the playoffs and drafted Lily.

we should have traded both and tanked for Makar.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
He's never been fully healthy and his injuries have always been lower body, which means harder to come back from especially for a defenceman who needs to rely on his skating.

I'm not sure who these assesors were that you're referring too, but the Leafs have always had him pegged as a middle pairing guy who'll kill penalties. So far when he is healthy that is what he is.

Those guys don't grow on trees they are hard to find and we might have one in Liljegren and that ain't nothin!

About injuries, we can say the same thing about timmins in his case its even worst...

Liljegren can't kill penalty, he was one of worst defender in that part from a team who struggling pretty hard in PK. Personally i dont think he will play a lot on PK except maybe if an othet are on the boxes or injured.

People who are thinking than Liljegren is or could be a top 4 d is people who watching liljegren like 1st half where he was looking great and was looking like a real top 4 and still believing to see one day that liljegren full time.

the people who dont believe in him is the people who watching him play 2nd half when the play start to be faster and where hes struggling to follow the rythm, force his team to make move at TDL and fighting everytime for a roster spot come playoff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad