Speculation: *Rifai vs. Liljegren. It's a thing and it's happening.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

With the winds of change blowing through the Scotiabank Arena, who will be their 6th D?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Liljegren got punked by *Rifai today. *Rifai seems to have grabbed the attention of Berube/Treliving.

I could be mistaken, but it looks like Liljegren might be a cap casualty soon.

What do you think?

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
if treliving signed lilijgren to 3M and then tries to trade him a few short months later to play a #3 AHL D-man in his spot he should be fired on the spot

lilijgren should either be given legit games to be a top4D who can rush the puck and play an offensive transitional game or he should be moved in a package for soneone like that who is older and more experienced

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Liljegren got punked by Rafai today. Rafai seems to have grabbed the attention of Berube/Treliving.

I could be mistaken, but it looks like Liljegren might be a cap casualty soon.

What do you think?
Might wanna learn how to spell his name before hyping him over Liljegren - it’s Rifai, not Rafai.

I prefer Liljegren, much more skilled, on a different level as a puck handler, puck mover, passer, skater. I’d give him the edge defensively too, although Rifai is definitely bigger and more physical.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm done with Liljegren. He just a guy. He doesn't do anything particularly well. He makes too much to be "just a guy".

I agree. But begs the question why management didn't just trade him before signing him to 3 mil.

He needs to be in the lineup for that much money.

Mirtle has even said the front office was considering a trade earlier in the summer (or at least wasnt sure about Lily's future), but I guess they got cold feet

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I agree. But begs the question why management didn't just trade him before signing him to 3 mil.

He needs to be in the lineup for that much money.

Mirtle has even said the front office was considering a trade earlier in the summer (or at least wasnt sure about Lily's future), but I guess they got cold feet
I thought I read if he went to arbitration he could get more than what he got. The other thing was it would be easier to trade him with a set cap hit to a team than a team acquiring him without knowing the cap hit.

I wonder if they didn’t get the offers they wanted and just brought him back.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
if treliving signed lilijgren to 3M and then tries to trade him a few short months later to play a #3 AHL D-man in his spot he should be fired on the spot

lilijgren should either be given legit games to be a top4D who can rush the puck and play an offensive transitional game or he should be moved in a package for soneone like that who is older and more experienced
I don't disagree with giving him a chance. I like him with OEL and McCabe with Benoit. We could have two second pairings ice time wise.

As for Tre, let's see what he can get back for Liljegren. I don't think it would have been wise to trade him because we knew Rifai was going to be ready. Signing Liljegren to that deal is not a mistake.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Might wanna learn how to spell his name before hyping him over Liljegren - it’s Rifai, not Rafai.

I prefer Liljegren, much more skilled, on a different level as a puck handler, puck mover, passer, skater. I’d give him the edge defensively too, although Rifai is definitely bigger and more physical.
Agree with the premise but Rifai is a better skater. His mobility is ++.

He'll be nice depth when injuries inevitably pop-up, especially on a blueline featuring Tanev and Hakanpaa.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leaf's Nation is a bit crazy at times. One Preseason practice, the media posts some lines, and people are all over the place jumping to conclusions on very thin threads. It was a practice, it doesn't mean much.

Let’s look at this deeper. Rifai is a Lefty. In no world is he replacing Lilly. Benoit maybe?

Rifai and Lilly were on the same lines today. How exactly does one jump to any erroneous conclusion that Rifai might take Lily’s spot?

I mean, if we are jumping to wild conclusions, it should be Timmins vs Lilly.

Or maybe Rifai vs Benoit?

In any case, to start a thread based on one pre-season practice is funny stuff.

Last edited:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Leaf's Nation is a bit crazy at times. One Preseason practice, the media posts some lines, and people are all over the place jumping to conclusions on very thin threads. It was a practice, it doesn't mean much.

Let’s look at this deeper. Rifai is a Lefty. In no world is he replacing Lilly. Benoit maybe?

Rifai and Lilly were on the same lines today. How exactly does one jump to any erroneous conclusion that Rifai might take Lily’s spot?

Maybe. Or maybe some of us feel that some kind of change is going to happen.

Like Treliving changing his mind about giving 3 million a season to a soft playoff healthy scratch.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Down with any plan, even if nonsensical, to get Liljegren out of our playoff games.

Obviously exaggerating but Liljegren is a weak link when the games matter and one of the stupidest things we did this off-season was give him 3 mil

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

Stop confusing the issues with facts!!!!!!
I am a fan of both Lilly and Timmins, but then again I LOVED Jake back in the day. Timmins could be another Jake.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Really liked Rafais game. Liligren I’ve been waiting on for a decade to be good. I honestly don’t know here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad