Prospect Info: Rielly has a chance of playing in the NHL this year.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
i will be static seeing Rielly in a LEAF UNIFORM

against all those **** suckers in the League

and i will smile when he does score...
or pull a sexy defensive move!

M. Rielly baby

TMLrule*

i will be static seeing Rielly in a LEAF UNIFORM

against all those **** suckers in the League

and i will smile when he does score...
or pull a sexy defensive move!

M. Rielly baby

Your going to turn into static electricity? Or be ecstatic I think you mean.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I don't get the media. First they say 'Don't rush him like they did Luke Schenn'. Now its 'The Leafs are ruining him by sending him back'. The typical 'everything Toronto does is wrong no matter what' mentality annoys me. You complained when they developed Kadri too. Look at him now.

Would you prefer that every member of the media have the same opinion?

jughead42*

I have no problem with the Leafs keeping him if he's ready, that does happen sometimes but being ready means he isn't learning on the job. It means he can already do the job. If he's going to be learning on the job and we're enduring mistakes because he's being rushed, that does far more to erode his development than playing another year against players his age. Pietrangelo went back for his last year of junior and he was a higher pick playing for a team that needed him way more than we need Reilly this year. It didn't hurt his development at all or stunt his development. Luke Schenn had junior eligibility left but was kept by the team. How did that work out, would you say Luke reached his potential because of that move? I'm not saying that playing him will ruin him, but it won't hurt him and it could help him to send him back. Why take any chances with a guy who's supposed to be an elite talent some day? Did it hurt Kadri to earn his job, or when he finally took a job was he a better player because of it? The answer is obvious, send him back unless he makes it impossible to do so based on his play. That wouldn't mean cracking the top 6, its not worth bringing him up for spot duty against scrubs and limited minutes. It means he's good enough now for top 4 or its junior in my opinion.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I hope we see Liles moved soon. He really doesn't have much of a spot left on the team anymore. We have Holzer, Brennan and Reilly to take that last pairing spot (assuming Fraser is re-signed).

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I hope we see Liles moved soon. He really doesn't have much of a spot left on the team anymore. We have Holzer, Brennan and Reilly to take that last pairing spot (assuming Fraser is re-signed).

I like Liles, i think he gives us a slightly better chance to win night in night out then Brennan or Rielly, but i do agree with you. I think Liles should be gone and just let Brennan Holzer Rielly and Blacker fight for the last spot.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I like Liles, i think he gives us a slightly better chance to win night in night out then Brennan or Rielly, but i do agree with you. I think Liles should be gone and just let Brennan Holzer Rielly and Blacker fight for the last spot.

Exactly. And we'll need the extra money to get our RFAs signed this year anyway. The cap is going up next season so we should be fine then but I'd like to keep our team intact and if moving Liles allows us to do that, then I see no reason not to move him. Especially given his age and his future with the club.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Facts:

Reilly is a LHD... as is Phaneuf, Gards and Fraser. To make the team and not sit in the press box he would have to beat out one of those guys. Carlyle is pretty strict about playing LHD on the left and RHD on the right and I only recall seeing him deviate from this when we had some injuries.

Reilly pretty much has to beat out Gards if he wants to make the roster. Their skillsets overlap and Fraser's physicality needs to be out there for 12-14 minutes per night. We don't need Dion being Sherrif AND our most important defenseman in every situation (Pk, PP, ES).

Reilly played "alright" in the AHL. He certainly didn't dominate, nor did he play a large role on the team (4 points in 24 games, 8 of which were playoffs). To suggest he's ready for anything more than a 9 game audition at the beginning of this season is a bit far fetched.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Rather him play now if he deserves it. Not for the sake of it. Strict positional play is a weird Carlyleism in today's age. Lupul says hello.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You do realize Rielly was only 18, he was one of the youngest players in the tournament.
I sure do. but again, a lame excuse. if he's as good as people are saying...(and the superlatives used to describe him have been incredible)...and he's ready to play in the nhl, playing against some guys who are a year older at the wjc wouldn't make any difference. he should have dominated.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It was not an excuse but reality.....he did nothing wrong to cause him to be used the way he was. I have seen many current and soon to be NHL players play....the comparison I can use is Gormley he will play this year for the coyotes he would have played last year but they had already 7 D on one way contracts and they do not have the money to bury money.
its an excuse. we have no idea what went on at the wjc, other than the fact rielly underperformed. maybe he didn't do anything wrong as such, but he didn't do much to force the coach's hand. again, if he's as good as he's being described, he would have dominated and spott would have absolutely no choice but to play the heck out of him. are we thinking spott didn't want to win?

and I've seen quite a bit of gormley. not sure he was ready for the nhl last year at all. he's good, i'm a fan of his, but I surely hope rielly is going to be much, much better than gormley.

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
I think I'd like to see him back in Moose Jaw, ultimately. Or maybe traded to a contender in the WHL to make a Memorial Cup run.
Playing in the NHL this year will give everyone too many excuses to say he was rushed.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
RHD

Blacker - Contract
Franson - Contract
Granberg - Contract
Holzer - Contract
Kostka
O'Bryne

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson (L-L)
Gardiner - Franson (L-R)
Liles/Rielly - Granberg/Holzer/Blacker (L-R)

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
its an excuse. we have no idea what went on at the wjc, other than the fact rielly underperformed. maybe he didn't do anything wrong as such, but he didn't do much to force the coach's hand. again, if he's as good as he's being described, he would have dominated and spott would have absolutely no choice but to play the heck out of him. are we thinking spott didn't want to win?

and I've seen quite a bit of gormley. not sure he was ready for the nhl last year at all. he's good, i'm a fan of his, but I surely hope rielly is going to be much, much better than gormley.

Gormley was more than ready..... I'm not comparing Rielly to Gormley but only gave an examples as you asked. I have seen lots of Couts, Gormley, Schwartz, Colburn ,Matteau, Koekkoek, Gibson, Eberle and others in recent years....
Rielly did nothing to play himself off the top pairing as he was simply a victim of a coach favoring his own player as that was easy to see. Please tell me how he under performed......

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Gormley was more than ready..... I'm not comparing Rielly to Gormley but only gave an examples as you asked. I have seen lots of Couts, Gormley, Schwartz, Colburn ,Matteau, Koekkoek, Gibson, Eberle and others in recent years....
Rielly did nothing to play himself off the top pairing as he was simply a victim of a coach favoring his own player as that was easy to see. Please tell me how he under performed......

He under performed based on what he contributed.

I think there was just too much expectation.

It was his draft year, and it isn't like he was a Stamkos or Tavares type of pick, so the hype was just a little out of control.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I have no problem with the Leafs keeping him if he's ready, that does happen sometimes but being ready means he isn't learning on the job. It means he can already do the job. If he's going to be learning on the job and we're enduring mistakes because he's being rushed, that does far more to erode his development than playing another year against players his age. Pietrangelo went back for his last year of junior and he was a higher pick playing for a team that needed him way more than we need Reilly this year. It didn't hurt his development at all or stunt his development. Luke Schenn had junior eligibility left but was kept by the team. How did that work out, would you say Luke reached his potential because of that move? I'm not saying that playing him will ruin him, but it won't hurt him and it could help him to send him back. Why take any chances with a guy who's supposed to be an elite talent some day? Did it hurt Kadri to earn his job, or when he finally took a job was he a better player because of it? The answer is obvious, send him back unless he makes it impossible to do so based on his play. That wouldn't mean cracking the top 6, its not worth bringing him up for spot duty against scrubs and limited minutes. It means he's good enough now for top 4 or its junior in my opinion.

What is this drivel? At least make it readable for god's sake.

Can't learn on the job? I am honestly curious what you do for a living. Everyone learns on the job. I'm fairly confident Rielly knows how to play hockey so he can do the job just fine. He'll make mistakes just like every other pro athlete does.

Even Phaneuf blows it every now and then. What are you saying exactly? Gardiner is still learning every game, do you feel we should never let him put on a Leaf's jersey?

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto

Do you think Morgan will magically learn to defend NHLer's by playing against 16-17 year olds? Hes already physically ready.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If he is ready, then, he plays in the NHL.

However, I just hope he is not rushed into the NHL.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I like the idea of 3rd pairing ES minutes plus PP time to start and gradually increase his minutes as he gets more comfortable at the NHL level.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
If Rielly earns a spot on the team, he should be on the team.

If not, he'll go back to the WHL and likely be the Captain of Moose Jaw. He'll also play a prominent, leadership role in the WJC, most likely donning an A or a C on his sweater. At the end of his season, he'll get some more games in the AHL to get used to playing professional hockey.

He might have little left to learn on the ice in the WHL, but going back and learning about being a leader on and off the ice could be a great experience for him.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I can see Carlye working his magical chairs act with the d-men again in the fall. I believe Reilly will get his nine games but it may take 20 or so real games for him to realize that. Maybe at that point it will take him to the World Junior camp if he is still eligible.

Nonis needs to make room for him back there and right now there are too many bodies to shuffle. Liles would be one of the first you would look at but you probably have to get to game 25 before teams start to look at adding a piece. Liles has value, just not sure how much.

Leafs have a lot of bodies on the back end and a lot of prospects coming through the system. C'mon Dave, turn a few into a #1 centre man!

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
:sarcasm:
He under performed based on what he contributed.

I think there was just too much expectation.

It was his draft year, and it isn't like he was a Stamkos or Tavares type of pick, so the hype was just a little out of control.

Rielly was actually one of Canada's better defencemen at the WJC, I don't know what games you were watching. Team Canada overused Ryan Murphy who wasn't very good. And had Nathan MacKinnon in a 4th line checking role. There WERE many questionable decisions made by coaching, which is why we lost.

Rielly was consistently skating around forechecking and carrying the puck into the offensive zone or making smart outlet passes.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
I wouldn't have a problem with Rielly starting the year because he's too good for the CHL and not old enough to play in the AHL, but the Leafs need a RHD which is why I think he won't make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad