Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He hasn't had a chance to show his true value yet.

When he has played with skill guys, he has done well. When he has had to C a grinder group, he has done well.

He can PK and be on PP2.

His injuries may become a concern if he can't stay healthy long enough to find a groove, but we need players with his attitude.

Not ready to bail on him at all.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
The uproar when we traded the protytipcal 3rd liner in Pageau and now we're suggesting trading the same thing in Greig...? Depth wins championships, especially versatile depth with intangibles like Greig. Think about the luxury if he is the one to replace Giroux in the top 6 next year, which is more likely than not...

Drafting and selling useful pieces before they peak is not good asset management. If Crookshank, Ostapchuk, Boucher and one or two others were trending on a similar path to Greig than you may have options but that isn't the case with our prospect pool.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He hasn't had a chance to show his true value yet.

When he has played with skill guys, he has done well. When he has had to C a grinder group, he has done well.

He can PK and be on PP2.

His injuries may become a concern if he can't stay healthy long enough to find a groove, but we need players with his attitude.

Not ready to bail on him at all.
I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that swapping the asset (Greig) for help on the backend would be beneficial for the team, but you got to get equal value. Greig is good, and helps us be a better team.

Not a move I'm rushing to make, but if the right offer is there, maybe. Our depth at center is pretty solid if Norris can stay healthy. I do think we need top 6 wingers though, and Greig could fill that role.

Reactions: Cosmix

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well at this point he' a utility player and a pretty good one... Helping the depth I guess has a scale.
And a value. And if people value him at something waaay higher than that? I’m not saying give him Up for scraps.

I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that swapping the asset (Greig) for help on the backend would be beneficial for the team, but you got to get equal value. Greig is good, and helps us be a better team.

Not a move I'm rushing to make, but if the right offer is there, maybe. Our depth at center is pretty solid if Norris can stay healthy. I do think we need top 6 wingers though, and Greig could fill that role.
I’ve heard a few times on the pregame that Greig has said or made it known he’s way more comfortable at center.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I’ve heard a few times on the pregame that Greig has said or made it known he’s way more comfortable at center.
Sure, but he's flexible enough that both are options, that versatility is valuable for us, particularly while we sort out whether Norris' shoulder will hold up.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Sure, but he's flexible enough that both are options, that versatility is valuable for us, particularly while we sort out whether Norris' shoulder will hold up.
It is. But maybe a veteran FA center is more valuable to us.

I’m not sure he is flexible enough. He’s almost a complete non factor on the wings.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How many games did he play wing this year?
Enough to allededgly know he’s not comfortable there.

His words apparently

I didn’t even think he was all that great at center last year either. Not great the puck. Not great on the wall. Ok defensively.

I feel like he gets a pass on a lot of things because he’s an agitator sometimes (when he’s healthy).

Now he’s obviously young. So maybe he gets way way way better. But that’s the point of the sell high. Can’t wait for the outcome

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Our top 6 Wingers appear to be Tkachuk, Giroux, Batherson & Perron based on salaries paid. Both Giroux and Perron are in decline and it could be argued they aren't now and won't be after this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad