Ridiculous things you used to think about hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
When I was a toddler, I thought the red light was connected to the back of the net and the puck would set off a censor that would turn on the light to signal goal. Eventually I learned that there was someone sitting behind the goal and pushing a button. Same with the scoreboard, I thought it would censor a goal and mechanically add a point.

Also, I used to think that the TV graphics that display things like a players name or stats was a sign that was physically placed in front of the camera.

I thought that my then local Junior A team was in the NHL because it shared a similar logo with an actual NHL team, so I thought that the team on my NHL logos poster was the same team from my small 30,000 populated town.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
That there is a definitive formula for winning the cup since the wings pens Avs did it all the time. Once I saw the caps win I realized it’s just luck. Goalie gets hot, bounces go your way, players having motivation they never showed before. Power forward tough guy suddenly becoming one of the best players on the team. No injuries. Basically lighting in a bottle or just plain luck

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
When I was a toddler, I thought the red light was connected to the back of the net and the puck would set off a censor that would turn on the light to signal goal. Eventually I learned that there was someone sitting behind the goal and pushing a button. Same with the scoreboard, I thought it would censor a goal and mechanically add a point.

Also, I used to think that the TV graphics that display things like a players name or stats was a sign that was physically placed in front of the camera.

I thought that my then local Junior A team was in the NHL because it shared a similar logo with an actual NHL team, so I thought that the team on my NHL logos poster was the same team from my small 30,000 populated town.
PG Spruce Kings and LA Kings?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The first time I actually watched a hockey game, I was startled to find out that the puck doesn't just stay on the ice itself throughout the entire game.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I’m not sure Alexis Lafreniere is a real person. I sort of have to do a double take to see if I’m seeing an AI generated player or an actual person playing. My brain can’t exactly understand why. I legit don’t think he is human and might possibly be a generated player. I’m not saying he’s bad, or he sucks, I just don’t know why he looks just sort of flat and featureless. That’s why I have an edited profile picture of him so he actually resembles a real person. This saves me a lot of anxiety and stress when I catch him in game and can just sort of look towards my profile picture and reassure myself he is a real person and not generated.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Used to hear the "LOUUUUU" chants and thought for years they were boos lol never understood why

Reactions: EpiPen

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I’m not sure Alexis Lafreniere is a real person. I sort of have to do a double take to see if I’m seeing an AI generated player or an actual person playing. My brain can’t exactly understand why. I legit don’t think he is human and might possibly be a generated player. I’m not saying he’s bad, or he sucks, I just don’t know why he looks just sort of flat and featureless. That’s why I have an edited profile picture of him so he actually resembles a real person. This saves me a lot of anxiety and stress when I catch him in game and can just sort of look towards my profile picture and reassure myself he is a real person and not generated.
I swear the nhl 24 (or is it 23) load screen that is a closeup of McDavid with some scraggly peach fuzz looks more like Lafreniere than McDavid. So I can get where you're coming from.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
That the all-star game was cool (when I was a child).

There was something to the all-star game back in the day. We weren't saturated with 24/7 media. Like back in Gretzky's heyday, unless you were in Edmonton, you weren't watching every game he played. Probably didn't see 25% of the games he played, if that. You didn't have instant access to every highlight. There was a mystique about him. Kind of like the Red Army team in the Soviet Union. They were extra special being hidden behind an iron curtain. What is this machine that never loses?

Today, all-star games are pointless because you can see every one of them play in every game. There's nothing special about seeing McDavid on the ice. Other than his ridiculous talent. But regardless of what city you're in, you can watch only Oilers games if you want. Not to mention the highlights that are always online, which has contributed to ESPN becoming a shell of what it once was.

All-star games were cool. Wow! I get to see that guy, and that guy, on they're even on the same team! Crazy. But the more rules they have to change, because actually seeing these guys play is no longer rare in any way whatsoever, the more ridiculous the all-star game itself becomes. That's the case in all sports. Even baseball has interleague play now, so it's more likely certain stars in one league see other stars in the other league more often. Plus there's free agency, so that one dude is probably going to be on a team in the other league in like 3 years, and back again 5 years after that, so league bragging rights aren't even worth much.

Anything that made all-star games exciting have been diluted by technology.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Scoring from the blue-line was like a three-point shot in Basketball, worth more "goals".

There would be fewer OT games if the NHL adopted different values for goals depending on where or even when you scored them. Compared to them, there aren't nearly as many games that go into OT in MLB, the NFL, or NBA. Not a coincidence that those leagues, other than the very rare tie in the NFL, have a strict W/L standings system. As opposed to the NHL, with the different points based system.

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
When I first got into hockey I had the distinct impression that, at least compared to other sports, hockey officiating was more cut and dry, and that all infractions were easier to call and far more consistently officiated than any other major sport.

Yep...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad