Value of: Rickard Rakell to Toronto

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The value you listed is what he would retain as an expiring. He has two years.
I'm aware. What do you think he returns? He has a bit under 2 years at a good cap hit and is a 20 goal 50 point winger. I don't see him returning 2 1sts worth of value, 2nd line wingers don't return that value especially with limited term

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Anaheim don't have to trade him but I don't think anyone is moving 2 1sts in the pandemic nhl for a complimentary winger like Rakell. Probably best to move him next year perhaps

Oh sorry if I was not clear, I did not mean anybody will, I just meant that some TOR fans seem to think TOR has a shot at Rakell for a small price and that is - in my opinion - quite a mistake. (I have been wrong before though, I thought Domi would get Anderson + 1st and look what happened ;) )

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Oh sorry if I was not clear, I did not mean anybody will, I just meant that some TOR fans seem to think TOR has a shot at Rakell for a small price and that is - in my opinion - quite a mistake. (I have been wrong before though, I thought Domi would get Anderson + 1st and look what happened ;) )
I dont know enough about the Ducks prospect pool/depth chart to say if moving Rakell makes sense right now but I definitely agree that he wont be cheap as I imagine the Ducks will retain making his cap hit very easy to fit in. Not a lot of cap space on most teams too

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'm aware. What do you think he returns? He has a bit under 2 years at a good cap hit and is a 20 goal 50 point winger. I don't see him returning 2 1sts worth of value, 2nd line wingers don't return that value especially with limited term
toffoli just went for a 2nd and a really f***ing good prospect in madden lol

yeah my gm is an idiot but it wasn't as if that price was insane idk

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Coleman got

1st + Foote

Rakell is a better player, and ducks could retain 50% so that his cap hit is only 100k more than Coleman’s .

Rakell has shown when he plays with good players he can be a top line winger , problem is ducks don’t have any good players.( did it with a younger getzlaf, also with zibby on Sweden)

That is a pretty crazy take by you and teams with cap issues are going to be hot on rakell at 1.9-3.8. And it’s def within reason for duck fans to want 2 firsts, but if we’re being honest the leafs 1st (with Rakell) is going to be 25-31 range. Lot of teams in east/Canadian division that would benefit from adding Rakell, so your also taking a premium asset away from competition.

for record I’m not saying leads should or shouldn’t do it just pointing out potential value, might be out of leafs realistic price range, and that’s fair

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Jan 21, 2018
That seems a bit heavy. Is Rakell going to put them over the top?

Rakell is a fantastic player but he won’t help them if they match up against CLB/NYI or other boring teams that have way better defensive systems in place.

The leafs have enough scoring and can fill in smaller holes in the lineup with cheaper acquisitions, vets trying to chase a ring etc.

Their big move this year should be to acquire another D. Perhaps even another goalie if Campbell won’t be ready for playoffs. The last thing i want to see is the leafs spending assets and cap on another forward.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Coleman got

1st + Foote

Rakell is a better player, and ducks could retain 50% so that his cap hit is only 100k more than Coleman’s .

Rakell has shown when he plays with good players he can be a top line winger , problem is ducks don’t have any good players.( did it with a younger getzlaf, also with zibby on Sweden)

That is a pretty crazy take by you and teams with cap issues are going to be hot on rakell at 1.9-3.8. And it’s def within reason for duck fans to want 2 firsts, but if we’re being honest the leafs 1st (with Rakell) is going to be 25-31 range. Lot of teams in east/Canadian division that would benefit from adding Rakell, so your also taking a premium asset away from competition.

for record I’m not saying leads should or shouldn’t do it just pointing out potential value, might be out of leafs realistic price range, and that’s fair

The Leafs could very easily finish that way without Rakell, it's not like the have the best record in the league already. Adding Rakell to any other team in the Canadian division doesn't make them a threat.

Liljegren + 1st for Rakell, show me another offer in this thread that is realistic and would top that.

Ledge And Dairy

The Leafs could very easily finish that way without Rakell, it's not like the have the best record in the league already. Adding Rakell to any other team in the Canadian division doesn't make them a threat.

Liljegren + 1st for Rakell, show me another offer in this thread that is realistic and would top that.

You say think like Toronto is winning games 7-2. Rakell on any other Canadian team definitely makes them a threat. Especially when those teams are already threats

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I’m not saying the leafs need Rakell but I’d assume teams like jets, flames, oilers , Canucks, avs, bruins and a bunch of others would be in the market for him. You add Rakell to a lot of teams and that’s the difference between leafs winning a series and losing a series

Late 1st + liljegren is okay but I think it’s beat . Maybe not in this thread yet but I’ve seen avs fans offer Timmins + 1st, which I’d say is better. Liljegren doesn’t do much for me I think he got a bit over hyped... we’d be more interested in a forward prospect

also it was leaf fans that said 2 1sts is too much but liljegren is a 1st round pick so I assume amirov/Robertson arnt far off unless you admitting liljegren is pretty overrated. Rakell is a luxury leafs prob can’t afford

Last edited:

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Lol, what a terrible offer.

How about Matthews (50% retained) for a 2020 3rd & Backes ?

His suggestion for Rakell was terrible. But the "bad-trade-the-other-way" response is never the right move. It just plunges a thread into arguments and off topic comparisons.

Don't insult him, educate him.

@Stuart Catso, if you read the room/thread you'd see Anaheim doesn't need or want Kerfoot, who is essentially a 3rd liner. So your offer fills no need for them, while costing a good player with top line potential. The 2nd doesn't fill that gap, especially with retention on their end.

If you think Kerf needs to go to make it happen, then maybe you could suggest that Tor liquidate him for a pick, then includes that pick in the offer for Rakell. But he'd probably only get a 2nd, if you even find a buyer. And two 2nd rounders won't get Rakell. Your offer still falls far short.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
His suggestion for Rakell was terrible. But the "bad-trade-the-other-way" response is never the right move. It just plunges a thread into arguments and off topic comparisons.

Don't insult him, educate him.

@Stuart Catso, if you read the room/thread you'd see Anaheim doesn't need or want Kerfoot, who is essentially a 3rd liner. So your offer fills no need for them, while costing a good player with top line potential. The 2nd doesn't fill that gap, especially with retention on their end.

If you think Kerf needs to go to make it happen, then maybe you could suggest that Tor liquidate him for a pick, then includes that pick in the offer for Rakell. But he'd probably only get a 2nd, if you even find a buyer. And two 2nd rounders won't get Rakell. Your offer still falls far short.
Pretty much this, the market on Rakell (specially retained) would be basically any team in the league that has a shot at playoffs. Your not meeting the ducks demand your bidding against basically every team in your division.

Ducks arnt trading Rakell for a similarly age player... if we move Rakell it’s signaling a rebuild/moving on from this core and we’d want young assets/picks and best package would get him

now a fair opinion is, he’s gunna cost too much and is a luxury that the leafs just can’t afford, but if management thinks he’s the piece that puts them over then maybe they pay the price. Personally I don’t think Rakell is that piece.... he helps but idk if it’s the right target for them.

Last edited:

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Anaheim don't have to trade him but I don't think anyone is moving 2 1sts in the pandemic nhl for a complimentary winger like Rakell. Probably best to move him next year perhaps
While he isn't a line driver he is a great winger with the right pieces around him. He would do great on a top line. I agree though that the price may not be 2 1sts but torontos 1st may be a 30th pick, so maybe.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Rakell for Sandin + 2nd.

If the Ducks retain... then Rakell for Sandin + 1st.

Sandin and a 1st round pick for 2 years of Rakell? I think we will pass. If you can get that, though, power to ya. Last time Dubas gave up a package like that it was for Muzzin, but the prospects included were a couple tiers lower than Sandin.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I’m not saying the leafs need Rakell but I’d assume teams like jets, flames, oilers , Canucks, avs, bruins and a bunch of others would be in the market for him. You add Rakell to a lot of teams and that’s the difference between leafs winning a series and losing a series

Late 1st + liljegren is okay but I think it’s beat . Maybe not in this thread yet but I’ve seen avs fans offer Timmins + 1st, which I’d say is better. Liljegren doesn’t do much for me I think he got a bit over hyped... we’d be more interested in a forward prospect

also it was leaf fans that said 2 1sts is too much but liljegren is a 1st round pick so I assume amirov/Robertson arnt far off unless you admitting liljegren is pretty overrated. Rakell is a luxury leafs prob can’t afford
Liljegren is a good prospect with top 4 potential, he's also the Leafs 4th best prospect behind Robertson, Sandin and Amirov...not sure what's so hard about understanding that. It doesn't take away from his potential, the Leafs have just drafted well in recent years.

Also hate to break it to you but Rakell isn't that guy for a couple years now, Ducks fans are assuming that his numbers will go up going to a team with better forwards without acknowledging the possibility that he's regressed, he turns 28 in a couple months so the odds we've already seen peak Rakell are high.

I don't think Liljegren + 1st is too much for a guy that has 1.5 years left on his deal at the TDL and has topped 50 points just twice in his 6 full seasons and 60 points just once in his career.

Even if you wanna make the argument that he was better when the Ducks were good, he averaged 55 points over 82 games from 2014-15 to 2017-18. From 2018-19 to current play he's averaged 51 points over 82 games on a bad Ducks team.

If the price is higher than Dermott/Liljegren + 1st then the Leafs will shop elsewhere. Rakell going to the Avs wouldn't even worry teams that are top 3-5 in the NHL. He's not a superstar, he's not a star, he's not even Nylander/Ehlers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Rakell isn't worth the equivalent of 2+ 1st rounders.

Probably the classic 1st +B/C prospect

This is true but cap has to work which complicates the pieces involved. Asking the Ducks to take a contract or provide retention will require additional assets. Otherwise, it falls through and another team with more cap space can give them a more simple deal.

Leafs fans pretending that the cap don't matter cause their excel spreadsheet guy is good at it is flawed. It's only looking it from the Leafs perspective in terms of cap in and cap out. That's kind of disingenuous and a one sided approach

As a Habs fan, I'd love to acquire Rakell as well but we are not going to pretend it will be easy and we probably don't even try cause we know the answers they will give to our salary dumps going the other way

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
You say think like Toronto is winning games 7-2. Rakell on any other Canadian team definitely makes them a threat. Especially when those teams are already threats
8 games into the season, wins are wins, not style points. The fact is the Leafs have the best record in the league and a 50-55 point winger that struggles to stay healthy is not going to alter their standing in the North division. The Nucks blew out the Sens 7-1, that doesn't help them at all other than knowing they're better than the rebuilding Sens.

The Leafs are winning 1 goal games consistently, if the Leafs were winning games 7-2 you'd be in here complaining about how the Leafs are going to struggle in close games.

You just proved my point btw, the Leafs are 6-2 and they haven't been on full power offensively yet at all.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
As a habs fan we are definitely interested. But Byron would have to go the other way.

Rakell 400k retained for Habs 2021 1st + 2022 2nd + 2021 3rd + Byron?

Byron is a deal killer for me. No interest in taking back a 3 year deal.

I think that says more about the offers in this thread.

Coleman got his return and Rakell is better is every facet of the game and would be cheaper if the Ducks retained, AND the cap is in a way worse situation then when that trade was made.

It may not be a buyers market, but it is a buyers market for a top 6 winger with a cap hit around 1.9 mil. 1st + Lilegren would be fine, but I expect they could get more at the deadline if there are multiple teams who want a top 6 winger and only have a little bit of cap.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The leafs moved Kapanen's 3.4 million for cap relief but we are targeting Rakell who makes more?? How often do teams retain half of a players salary (although yes this can happen) but during a pandemic with no revenue's for a smaller market team? The cap compliance of this combined with the overpay to make it work cap wise would be insane. I don't see a deal to be made here.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
The leafs moved Kapanen's 3.4 million for cap relief but we are targeting Rakell who makes more?? How often do teams retain half of a players salary (although yes this can happen) but during a pandemic with no revenue's for a smaller market team? The cap compliance of this combined with the overpay to make it work cap wise is insane. I don't see a deal to be made here.

The Ducks are a "cap team" but only in cap. In actual salary the Ducks are only spending like 68 mil (and 7 mil of that is probably being covered by insurance for Kesler). They can afford to retain on Rakell for 1 more year, and they should if it gets them a huge return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad