Rick Westhead: Another woman comes forward alleging she was sexually assaulted by a group of major-junior hockey players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Unless there is a more specific article mentioned in this thread that I missed (please forgive me if so, I will check it out), there is nothing overly compelling or straightforward with regards to this recent controversy from what I have seen after searching the story this evening, but perhaps the bombshell is yet to come. How caring of Rick Westhead and co. to have us all "stay tuned" for such a serious matter.

Allegations of this nature had better be pretty damned concrete and have convincing corroboration, especially if it's something from nearly a decade prior. That's really tough. Especially if large groups, parties, alcohol etc may (key word "may") have been involved. That can be very tricky and ruin lives on both sides of the coin, so it's perfectly reasonable to withhold judgement until there's more available information to work with. Any lazy, virtue-signaling jackass can point to hockey culture and cry about victim blaming and how horrible these accused players are, but cases like these should not be met with flippant, reactionary faux rage without convincing evidence.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Thankfully, our justice system usually does. It's driven by reason & logic, instead of the feelings of people who have absolutely no idea what the facts are.
The justice system is but one aspect of our society. A situation like this will never be reduced to a mere legal case.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
It’s been obvious for a long time that junior hockey has major cultural issues and a good ole boy frat boy mentality continues to survive to this day. It happens in other sports but there is a difference between a college campus near a big city and being a celebrity in some bumblef*** town where they are untouchable. Not to mention their schooling is lacking from the teenage years onwards. The average hockey player seems dumb as rocks but has a huge ego in a hyper-macho environment.

Reactions: JPT

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I know some people have issue with Westhead and how he conducts himself (case in point, the "stay tuned..." tweet he made earlier) but as far as i'm concerned he can do whatever the f*** he wants to bring attention/eyes to this given his track record of how professionally and firmly he's handled all the other stuff he's covered. Kyle Beach, the 2018 team fiasco, etc.

One of the few actual journalists left in the realm of sports. Keep fighting the good fight, Rick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad