Rick Westhead: Another woman comes forward alleging she was sexually assaulted by a group of major-junior hockey players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
First thing you've said that's accurate.
I've seen some pretty pathetic bad-faith arguments in my day, but this one's way up there. You and your ilk are nothing more than a emotionally compromised mob, clamouring for the justice that YOU want, regardless of any innocents that get hurt along the way.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Hitting from behind is normal around Hockey Canada.
Maybe females in canada can start a trend of wearing these patches on their backs.

A82m5UT.png

Reactions: saska sault

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Has the “you’re supporting abuse by not assuming the victim is telling the truth” vs. “our system of justice relies upon the presumption of innocence” debate whirled up yet?

It would be incredibly novel if it did.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
So you've already determined that the as-yet unnamed perpetrators are not innocent, even though they may eventually be found not guilty? What evidence have you considered to come to this conclusion?
I don't assume anything about the anonymous, certainly not their innocence.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I don't care about guilt at this point. A determination of guilt is a long way off. I care about the rights of everyone involved, not just the accuser's. I've seen enough lives ruined by false accusations eventually proven false that I refuse to jump to any conclusions, especially in emotionally-charged situations.

Your penchant for jumping to conclusions is a vice, not a virtue.
Thanks for standing up to tyranny on here. You are changing the world one hf post a a time , amen

Reactions: Bouboumaster

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
I don't assume anything about the anonymous, certainly not their innocence.
Thankfully, our justice system usually does. It's driven by reason & logic, instead of the feelings of people who have absolutely no idea what the facts are.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Does the accused need to be named to know what's going to happen to him? We have a rather high profile case from just a little while ago that gives us a rather reliable roadmap to what happens next. I don't think we need to wait to see if the punishment starts before the conviction when we already know that's how it's going down.
Ok but you began your post with a line about how women have, in the past, falsely accused men of means. It seems like you should at least know who the accused is before jumping out with that one. Further, it's interesting that someone would go for the "innocent until proven guilty" line when the only thing known was that another accusation was being made.

As for this reply in particular, how can you simultaneously want people to wait until there is more information to express an opinion and express an opinion about how everything is going to play out in the public before we have more information?

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Crow

May 19, 2014
For those talking about how this has become such a trend lately, go check the biographies of Doug Gilmour, Scott Stevens, Dino Ciccarelli, Geoff Courtnall, Neal Sheehy, Billy Tibbetts, Joe Sakic’s brother Brian Sakic and Wade Smith, Mario Lemieux and Dan Quinn, Ed Jovanovski, Todd Harvey and Grant Marshall, Nick Robinson, Michael D’Allesandro, Aaron Power, Lance Galbraith, Ridley Riddell, Kristian Huselius, Andreas Lilja, Henrik Tallinder, Tanner House, Michael McBain, Bobby Hughes… and so on.

Anyone want to put an over-under on how many convictions resulted from that list?
God damn man. Looked up all of these guys. Except Mario already knew about that one. Really kind of disgusted that a poster named himself here after one of them.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Has the “you’re supporting abuse by not assuming the victim is telling the truth” vs. “our system of justice relies upon the presumption of innocence” debate whirled up yet?

It would be incredibly novel if it did.
Just about as novel as this post, which was posted pages back by someone else already

Apr 9, 2009
USA
The comment is about a sensationalist Tweet plugging his show.

What would you rather him do? Not mention it so nobody sees the story they've been working on? This is a stupid criticism. He's telling people what's going to be on the news. Save your rage for what the story says.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
I'm all for justice but why they waiting before speaking out?
There are several factors and they will differ. Trauma can cause a person to blame themselves for crimes committed against them. A distrust of the system doing anything to punish the rapists can prevent people from coming forward. Often there is fear of public backlash and being accused of lying. And you have to remember that if they overcome the self-blame, if the system finds and attempts to punish the rapist, and the victim agrees to testify in court, they know that the defense counsel is going to try to destroy their character. It's not an easy thing to do by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad