Rumor: Richards-Tallon Plans to Make Changes

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
George Richardson , the Herald beat writer, reported in "on Frozen Pond" that Tallon, after last night's loss, stated he was ready to make roster changes and committed to fixing it. Translation: Tallon has been working the phones, has a couple of tentative deals in mind and is going to pull the trigger.

Who stays? Who goes?

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
It's Richards, not Richardson

As he stated last night, Dineen and other coaches contract is up after this year. I don't think they're going anywhere for now. I think Kopecky and Matthias are the first to go, since I can see other teams wanting them.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Versteeg, Matthias, and Campbell are players who I can see moved.

We need to keep Kulikov. He is our best defenseman. However, if we could get a guy like Yak for him and Matthias I'd probably do it.

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
If I'm Tallon, everyone except Huby,Barkov, and Markstrom are on the table. Prolly not likely to move guys like Kuli, Bjugstad, and Guds, but they're not "untouchable."

But thats just me...

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
If we move Campbell we have to keep Kuli. No 2 ways about it. Kuli is the only D-man besides Soup who can handle 20+ mins. Petrovic is also looking damn fine in SA. He's cleaned up his defensive game quite a bit so far.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
IMO none of the veterans (including Matthias) are safe if the right deal comes around.

Excluding Jovo of course since he's untradeable.

Erick*

He should be planning to make changes.

This team better improve. Tallon gave all of these overpaid veterans 4-year contracts. As far as I'm concerned, if we're still watching the same garbage next year with no improvement, Tallon can go.

I'm giving Tallon and his choice of coach (Dineen or whoever, I don't care) until the end of next year. As of right now, the veterans are not worth the money and the youngsters are not improving. In some cases, you can say they're regressing.

Erick*

The first change that should be made is acquiring a goaltender. Stop playing for the future and start playing for the present. Acquire a goaltender that can help this team improve this year. Acquire a goaltender who's under contract next year that can help this team win and overcome its shortcomings.

If you want to keep Markstrom as the goalie of the future, fine. Stop counting on him though. Acquire a veteran goalie who isn't 40 years old and doesn't get injured every time he stretches.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
The first change that should be made is acquiring a goaltender. Stop playing for the future and start playing for the present. Acquire a goaltender that can help this team improve this year. Acquire a goaltender who's under contract next year that can help this team win and overcome its shortcomings.

If you want to keep Markstrom as the goalie of the future, fine. Stop counting on him though. Acquire a veteran goalie who isn't 40 years old and doesn't get injured every time he stretches.

Still don't think acquiring a goalie will solve anything. Miller stands on his head and he's 2-10-0. Why? Because that TEAM isn't very good and neither are the Panthers right now.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Still don't think acquiring a goalie will solve anything. Miller stands on his head and he's 2-10-0. Why? Because that TEAM isn't very good and neither are the Panthers right now.

Agree. Why is this team terrible? Because the offense sucks, the defense sucks, and the goaltending sucks. EVERYTHING needs a overhaul. Everything.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Markstrom should be sent down as soon as Thomas is back.

The guy needs to start learning how to win and the only place he has a chance to do that is in San Antonio. Let him and Houser battle it out.

Absolutely no reason for Markstrom to be forced into fire right now.

CoolburnIsGone

Please, tell me who that goaltender is and who's available? Seriously, there are basically zero goalies signed next yr that are proven right now and under contract next season.

Only guys that could be available that may fit what you're talking about are Reimer, Neuvirth or Fasth (currently injured). Reimer is a RFA so he'd need to be re-signed and questionable whether Toronto would want to deal him within the division. Neuvirth is signed next yr but Holtby has struggled at times this yr that they may want to hold onto him for now. And Fasth hasnt proven enough at the NHL level that he may not be the answer really either, not to mention he's currently injured so wouldnt help right away.

Erick*

Miller wouldn't be 2-10 with this team. The problem is that the Sabres are a lot worse than the Panthers are.

For all the talk of team defense (and I'll admit it's not great), the Panthers are allowing 29.3 shots per game. There's nothing wrong with that number. You can say shots don't = scoring chances which is true. But every team allows scoring chances. If you watch hockey games (which I'm sure you and we all do), every team allows scoring chances and every team gets big saves from goalies.

Right now, our team save% is .886. That's pathetic. This team with Ryan Miller is a .500 team right now.

Just on shootouts alone, Jacob Markstrom and Scott Clemmensen have allowed goals on 7 of 10 shots. We might've won a couple of more games via shootouts we got to if our goaltenders could maybe make a big stop every once in awhile.

Tim Thomas should make this better, but he's also 40 and I don't see why he'd want to comeback next year, anyway.

Erick*

Please, tell me who that goaltender is and who's available? Seriously, there are basically zero goalies signed next yr that are proven right now and under contract next season.

Only guys that could be available that may fit what you're talking about are Reimer, Neuvirth or Fasth (currently injured). Reimer is a RFA so he'd need to be re-signed and questionable whether Toronto would want to deal him within the division. Neuvirth is signed next yr but Holtby has struggled at times this yr that they may want to hold onto him for now. And Fasth hasnt proven enough at the NHL level that he may not be the answer really either, not to mention he's currently injured so wouldnt help right away.

Find one. Isn't that what great GM's are supposed to do? There's a reason why Dale Tallon is paid to do his job and we're not paid for that same job. It's not my job to find a goaltender for this team. I can tell you that a lot of others teams don't seem to be having the same problems this team is having. Maybe Dale Tallon should do something significant to keep his job. Do the Panthers have scouts? Maybe those scouts who also get paid to do jobs we don't get paid for can help Dale find a goaltender.

CoolburnIsGone

Find one. Isn't that what great GM's are supposed to do? There's a reason why Dale Tallon is paid to do his job and we're not paid for that same job. It's not my job to find a goaltender for this team. I can tell you that a lot of others teams don't seem to be having the same problems this team is having. Maybe Dale Tallon should do something significant to keep his job. Do the Panthers have scouts? Maybe those scouts who also get paid to do jobs we don't get paid for can help Dale find a goaltender.
You missed my point though. There's literally no one available that meets your criteria, trust me I looked already. The teams that have that type of guy are not going to trade their goalie or you're looking at UFA-to-be's or insufficient talent. Otherwise, you're basically looking at acquiring a young goaltender (not unlike Markstrom) that hasnt proven he's capable of being a starter yet in the NHL. Not much choice if you're Tallon or the scouts on this team if you ask me.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Hopefully it's something else than trading more 4th liners for 4th liners

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Miller wouldn't be 2-10 with this team. The problem is that the Sabres are a lot worse than the Panthers are.

For all the talk of team defense (and I'll admit it's not great), the Panthers are allowing 29.3 shots per game. There's nothing wrong with that number. You can say shots don't = scoring chances which is true. But every team allows scoring chances. If you watch hockey games (which I'm sure you and we all do), every team allows scoring chances and every team gets big saves from goalies.

I agree, Miller is standing on it's head and would give the Panthers a much better chance of winning nights in and nights out.

Although, the priority, imo, is a top 4 dman (maybe two). We have two terrible Dmen that can't pinch, can't do outlet passes and generally panick with the puck. Getting 1 or two Dmen would calm things down, allow for better puck possession (since it's the style that the Panthers want to play) and help the PP. When the team went ot the playoff, the goalies were playing much better, but we were also top 5 in points by Dmen and lead for quite a while. Also, let's not kid ourselves, this team is not talented enough to win on 5v5, the PP will determine the rise and fall of the Panthers.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
On the team at the moment, Im keeping Marky, Bjugstad, Barkov, Gudbranson, and Huberdeau. Everyone else can be had. I would keep Kulikov as well, but he seems to be our most valuable piece, and if we can upgrade the top six, then Im dealing him.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees

Right now, our team save% is .886. That's pathetic. This team with Ryan Miller is a .500 team right now.

Just on shootouts alone, Jacob Markstrom and Scott Clemmensen have allowed goals on 7 of 10 shots. We might've won a couple of more games via shootouts we got to if our goaltenders could maybe make a big stop every once in awhile.

Tim Thomas should make this better, but he's also 40 and I don't see why he'd want to comeback next year, anyway.

I agree 100%. The first thing we can easily fix is goaltending. Get a guy we can rely for the next 3 years. I think a lot of defensive lapses occur because our guys are playing with zero confidence in their goalie. Notice the game clemm played in washington, the defense play much more confident and had a lot less turnovers. We need a goalie who exudes confidence and it will have positive effects throughout our lineup.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I agree 100%. The first thing we can easily fix is goaltending. Get a guy we can rely for the next 3 years. I think a lot of defensive lapses occur because our guys are playing with zero confidence in their goalie. Notice the game clemm played in washington, the defense play much more confident and had a lot less turnovers. We need a goalie who exudes confidence and it will have positive effects throughout our lineup.

So how do we "easily" fix the goaltending?

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Some of you are really oversimplifying Tallon's job to fix this team.

Oh just go out and get a good goalie? Sure thing! There are tons of great goalies available right now, right?

Coaching change? Sure, who is out there to replace Dineen at this current moment?

Trade Versteeg/Upshall/Campbell? Who the hell wants them for what they're making compared to their performance?

Reality of it is, that we won't see any possible significant changes until the offseason.

In fact if we do end up with a top 5 pick, I think we should move it for a established player.

Last edited:

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Some of you are really oversimplifying Tallon's job to fix this team.

Oh just go out and get a good goalie? Sure thing! There are tons of great goalies available right now, right?

Coaching change? Sure, who is out there to replace Dineen at this current moment?

Trade Versteeg/Upshall/Campbell? Who the hell wants them for what they're making compared to their performance?

Reality of it is, that we won't see any possible significant changes until the offseason.

said this in the other thread but will repeat it. there's a lot he can do but the question is what will help? believe me, teams will take a versteeg or a kopecky for depth/scoring, especially as the season moves on and the contenders start to really separate themselves and identify weaknesses or deal with injuries.

in goal, you're counting on thomas for now along with markstrom.

the easy change to make once this threat blows over is fire dineen and name rammer interim coach. dineen is a lame duck; it's hard to imagine him getting an extension or the dynamic between coach and team changing at this point in his final season. tallon needs one more exclamation point loss and that's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad