RFA/UFA Decisions???

Which players, with NHL experience, should the Kings not bother resigning before next season ?

• A. Carl Grundstrom

• B. Blake Lizotte

• C. Cam Talbot

• D. Arthur Kaliyev

• E. Viktor Arvidsson

• F. Matt Roy

• G. Trevor Lewis

• H. Jordan Spence

• I. Pheonix Copley

• J. Aaron Dell

• K. TJ Tynan

• L. Mikhail Maltsev

• M. Steven Santini

• N. Hayden Hodgson

• O. Kevin Connauton

• P. Samuel Fagemo

• Q. Alex Turcotte

• R. Akil Thomas

Results are only viewable after voting.

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
You should just do post you propose yourself.
Thanks, but a mod should do it...to encompass what it should be and get all on board.
It's time. As soon as the Cup is lifted, the following day is buyout season, more team UFA and RFA sign and trades begin. I expect that the Kings will be active, the day after the Cup is awarded.

I was looking through hockeydb over the last 10 years on the Kings...roster, etc and in disbelief the Kings could not win a playoff round and miss the playoffs, for that matter. Several things stick out.
One, was ever since Muzzin was traded - and even before - Doughty never had a proper top pairing. I think if he had a suitable top pairing, near elite one - that the Kings could have had playoff success.Look at his partners and then consider if he had a partner as good or better than Muzzin, through the lean years?

MacDermid, McNabb, Forbort, Anderson. Now think what could have been, during some of those lean years, with a true, top pairing LHD?
Nothing against Mikey...an excellent player and so consistent. A next generation leader....but he's a second pairing guy. It's still not too late to get a top LHD to play with Drew....albeit, there were years wasted without having a top LHD.

Everyone has their wish list: 'legit #1 goalie' 'team toughness' 'Arvy replacement' and I agree. 100%. I guess with Gav's and Anderson's caps, how do you make one of them a third pairing and
sign or acquire a #1? True. Maybe you deal one of them.

I've been perplexed by the TBL getting McDonagh back a few weeks ago...LHD now 35 yrs old and has 2 more yrs left at 6.75M. TBL have ablout 5M cap room and Stamkos a UFA. How can they pay him? If they are letting him walk, they still have 5M and a hole. So, why would they take McDonagh, 35 yr old and owed 6.75 M next 2 years? This makes no sense to me...EVEN if they have a deal or 2 lined up. I wish the Kings could get Sergachev, 7 more yrs at 8.5M. There's your #1 LHD. But, saw his ugly knee injury back in February and think he was almost ready to return at playoffs....maybe TBL is retooling. They keep losing players from their mini dynasty...Johnson (no loss) Gourde, Palat, Killorn...they even had Verhaeghe. Maybe they would deal Hedman, who has 1 yr left at 7.875. He's 33 now. To get either Hedman or Sergachev, would be a little shocking and require cap manuevers...and / or going the 1.5 M goalie route again...and replacing Arvy with a 2.5 piece.

One thing is known - the last 3 Summers of '21- Danault / Arvy / Edler....'22 Fiala...'23 PLD
were off the radar. (PLD was floated out there, 1 week prior to the deal) The whackiness of the Durzi, Cal, Walker, Provorov, picks happened in a flash. I think the next 1-3 weeks, more of the same. And will be lucky if any of them are good moves or make sense. I can see a few coming here, that are 1 step of a reclamation project...but think there will be a 'name' player coming here.
I think the Kings are prepared to reach for a name player, to think that will appease the fans.
(but at a cost and not one that will make a difference) I'd honestly love to see Sergachev here and playing with Drew. But would take 4M going back...Moore? Mikey? Arty part of it? They don't have NMCs. You'd say, no way they move Mikey! He's been groomed as a future letter wearer! Oh? They had no problem dealing Quick and Gabe, Right? If you could get Sergachev for Moore and Mikey? You probably do it. He's only 25. Hedman would be the what the hell? He's not the right one and 33....yeah, but exactly why the Kings would want him. They do not have a plan and get players that are fixing round holes with squares. Hedman, extended on something that made some sense, may not be the worst....but I would not give up Moore and Anderson for a 33-34 yr old Hedman. Unless they are adding a decent, younger player. Tanner Jeannot??

The McDonagh deal made me look over TBL cap and roster and doesn't make sense...and the reports (who knows the truth) that they have not talked with Stamkos. Seems like some big names wil have new teams, in the next 3 weeks...trades and July 1 signing season.
Players with possible new teams: Stamkos, Marner, Kane, Necas? Reinhart, Guentzel among others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surf Nutz

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
So, with 88 million? What do the capologists forecast?
I'm not gonna forecast anything

however

It's not really $88M

It's $83.425M
(dead cap + bonuses)

The Kings have $20.2M in space but if you replace every empty spot with a league minimum contract and only factor in a 22 man roster (1 healthy scratch at D, F and a goalie)

It's $13,136,667M to get raises or replacements for

A goalie
Quinton Byfield
Jordan Spence or Matt Roy
Viktor Arvidsson

You can say suggest that some of the x below can be filled with your Thomases and Turcottes for leage minimum but you still need to fill the spots above this sentence for about $13M all while assuming the team stays as competitive as it did the last three seasons

(snarky takes on the playoffs not withstanding... the organization will likely expect the team to finish north of 95 points and I expect them to make moves to achieve that goal)

Grundstrom
Lizotte
Lewis

That's

x/11/9
12/24/22
x/80/78
x/x/x

44/8
84/x
5/92

x

It's not impossible but I think the cap situation is a bit tighter than the people that have been puffing out their chests about the cap going up for the past few years might think.

Let's just say Byfield makes $5M and the goalie makes $5M

----------

13.1M - 8.45M

That's $4,686,667 to replace Arvidsson and Spence/Roy IF you can get Byfield and a starting goalie in for $10M

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
not to be dismissive of the rest of the post, but when it comes to the goalie, this is rob blake we're talking about here
Seriously :P We are going to re-sign Talbot to a 5 year 5M/year contract and re-sign Roy while dealing Spence for a 3rd. Book it. :sarcasm:

• Wow
Reactions: Lt Dan

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Thanks, but a mod should do it...to encompass what it should be and get all on board.
It's time. As soon as the Cup is lifted, the following day is buyout season, more team UFA and RFA sign and trades begin. I expect that the Kings will be active, the day after the Cup is awarded.

I was looking through hockeydb over the last 10 years on the Kings...roster, etc and in disbelief the Kings could not win a playoff round and miss the playoffs, for that matter. Several things stick out.
One, was ever since Muzzin was traded - and even before - Doughty never had a proper top pairing. I think if he had a suitable top pairing, near elite one - that the Kings could have had playoff success.Look at his partners and then consider if he had a partner as good or better than Muzzin, through the lean years?

MacDermid, McNabb, Forbort, Anderson. Now think what could have been, during some of those lean years, with a true, top pairing LHD?
Nothing against Mikey...an excellent player and so consistent. A next generation leader....but he's a second pairing guy. It's still not too late to get a top LHD to play with Drew....albeit, there were years wasted without having a top LHD.

Everyone has their wish list: 'legit #1 goalie' 'team toughness' 'Arvy replacement' and I agree. 100%. I guess with Gav's and Anderson's caps, how do you make one of them a third pairing and
sign or acquire a #1? True. Maybe you deal one of them.

I've been perplexed by the TBL getting McDonagh back a few weeks ago...LHD now 35 yrs old and has 2 more yrs left at 6.75M. TBL have ablout 5M cap room and Stamkos a UFA. How can they pay him? If they are letting him walk, they still have 5M and a hole. So, why would they take McDonagh, 35 yr old and owed 6.75 M next 2 years? This makes no sense to me...EVEN if they have a deal or 2 lined up. I wish the Kings could get Sergachev, 7 more yrs at 8.5M. There's your #1 LHD. But, saw his ugly knee injury back in February and think he was almost ready to return at playoffs....maybe TBL is retooling. They keep losing players from their mini dynasty...Johnson (no loss) Gourde, Palat, Killorn...they even had Verhaeghe. Maybe they would deal Hedman, who has 1 yr left at 7.875. He's 33 now. To get either Hedman or Sergachev, would be a little shocking and require cap manuevers...and / or going the 1.5 M goalie route again...and replacing Arvy with a 2.5 piece.

One thing is known - the last 3 Summers of '21- Danault / Arvy / Edler....'22 Fiala...'23 PLD
were off the radar. (PLD was floated out there, 1 week prior to the deal) The whackiness of the Durzi, Cal, Walker, Provorov, picks happened in a flash. I think the next 1-3 weeks, more of the same. And will be lucky if any of them are good moves or make sense. I can see a few coming here, that are 1 step of a reclamation project...but think there will be a 'name' player coming here.
I think the Kings are prepared to reach for a name player, to think that will appease the fans.
(but at a cost and not one that will make a difference) I'd honestly love to see Sergachev here and playing with Drew. But would take 4M going back...Moore? Mikey? Arty part of it? They don't have NMCs. You'd say, no way they move Mikey! He's been groomed as a future letter wearer! Oh? They had no problem dealing Quick and Gabe, Right? If you could get Sergachev for Moore and Mikey? You probably do it. He's only 25. Hedman would be the what the hell? He's not the right one and 33....yeah, but exactly why the Kings would want him. They do not have a plan and get players that are fixing round holes with squares. Hedman, extended on something that made some sense, may not be the worst....but I would not give up Moore and Anderson for a 33-34 yr old Hedman. Unless they are adding a decent, younger player. Tanner Jeannot??

The McDonagh deal made me look over TBL cap and roster and doesn't make sense...and the reports (who knows the truth) that they have not talked with Stamkos. Seems like some big names wil have new teams, in the next 3 weeks...trades and July 1 signing season.
Players with possible new teams: Stamkos, Marner, Kane, Necas? Reinhart, Guentzel among others.

I may be wrong , I don't think the mod here generates posts, maybe rarely.

I was confused when he modified one with updated related happenings on a posters post.

Muzzin DD point was excellent.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything major for acquisitions but we will see.

Yeah , I was right, you should just make a post with thoughts like these.

Or just have at it right here.

Just tune out some of the responses.

I think you know or will figure out what I mean.

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
I'm not gonna forecast anything

however

It's not really $88M

It's $83.425M
(dead cap + bonuses)

The Kings have $20.2M in space but if you replace every empty spot with a league minimum contract and only factor in a 22 man roster (1 healthy scratch at D, F and a goalie)

It's $13,136,667M to get raises or replacements for

A goalie
Quinton Byfield
Jordan Spence or Matt Roy
Viktor Arvidsson

You can say suggest that some of the x below can be filled with your Thomases and Turcottes for leage minimum but you still need to fill the spots above this sentence for about $13M all while assuming the team stays as competitive as it did the last three seasons

(snarky takes on the playoffs not withstanding... the organization will likely expect the team to finish north of 95 points and I expect them to make moves to achieve that goal)

Grundstrom
Lizotte
Lewis

That's

x/11/9
12/24/22
x/80/78
x/x/x

44/8
84/x
5/92

x

It's not impossible but I think the cap situation is a bit tighter than the people that have been puffing out their chests about the cap going up for the past few years might think.

Let's just say Byfield makes $5M and the goalie makes $5M

----------

13.1M - 8.45M

That's $4,686,667 to replace Arvidsson and Spence/Roy IF you can get Byfield and a starting goalie in for $10M
Thanks, Jesse. Good analysis and breakdown and breakout.
I suppose IF QB signs in the 4.5-5.5 range, they could use the other 4.5-5.5 for Arvidsson's replacement and the 1.5 is for the goalie! I now see it's not as rosy as I had hoped.

Good Yannetti interview. You covered a lot of things...but was still hoping for some feedback on Dvorak's first year. It just seems like the most highest recent pick was not discussed on your or Hoven's interviews. Not complaing. You each covered a lot and enjoyed each100%.
Do you know much about Dvorak's year? Yannetti only said 'big defenseman, good skater' and that was it, I would like to know about his not going to WJC and decision to come to the WHL...and since he's signed and will be 19, where the org sees him playing. ONT AHL or another year in the WHL? Would have liked to hear about his take on Jamsen and him coming over. Did you do this, before he signed?

So great to hear that the Kings have been working on getting Kirsanov over and that Yannetti thinks he could even push to make the team...pretty impressive, given Yannetti's 4-7 year belief in making the NHL and having an impact. Consider Voynov played 3 years in the AHL. I know Kirsanov had a knee injury and may not come over...but I still think it would be great if he did and was around the team and LA. And Gavi and any Russian influence can sell him on coming over....albeit Gav is on his last yr. Yank didn;t say anything about the injury, so you must have done this, before he stated that on Hoven's Pod.

Last edited:

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I have enabled the

CHANGE VOTE

feature, if anyone wants to change.

The Phantom of the Operaesque departure of Pierre Luc Dudenah, has changed the landscape in many ways.

Please indicate your changes and explain why you made them in the comments.

I made no changes myself.

Thanks

Soapdodger

Dec 31, 2007
With the exception of Talbot I think that everyone of the list could make a positive impact, somehow. And therefore I would at least talk about a new contract
It all depends on details. If Trevor Lewis is okay with being the 13th or 14th forward? Maybe playing in Ontario. Why not, he still has value and is a great mentor.
Copley as an insurance policy plus a mentor for Portillo in the minors.
Clarke has to be a regular next season but maybe there is a way to have both him and Roy in the lineup. If Roys demands are low I would consider moving Spence instead.
With PLD gone we might sign Lizotte to a one year deal and move him later in the season if Turcotte and Thomas or someone else can replace him permanently

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
With the exception of Talbot I think that everyone of the list could make a positive impact, somehow. And therefore I would at least talk about a new contract
It all depends on details. If Trevor Lewis is okay with being the 13th or 14th forward? Maybe playing in Ontario. Why not, he still has value and is a great mentor.
Clarke has to be a regular next season but maybe there is a way to have both him and Roy in the lineup. If Roys demands are low I would consider moving Spence instead.
With PLD gone we might sign Lizotte to a one year deal and move him later in the season if Turcotte and Thomas or someone else can replace him permanently
You want to run it back? Why?
He was fine last year on the ice but who needs Lewis to be a mentor? They arent teenagers anymore. Turcotte Thomas Fagemo and Lee have been in the organization for years and know how things are done. Its time to shit or get off the pot with them. They should have a real chance in the lineup to perform better than the outgoing Lewis Lizotte Kaliyev and Grundstrom. I should admit that I thought these bottom 6 players were fine and not the problem with the team but the top of the lineup is signed with term already and never take the blame.

• Haha

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

Agree on most of this, however Lewis might get a bigger roles in Utah.

Also, let Roy walk, in my book Spence is a big time hold with his low salary and good play 2RD.
You want to run it back? Why?
He was fine last year on the ice but who needs Lewis to be a mentor? They arent teenagers anymore. Turcotte Thomas Fagemo and Lee have been in the organization for years and know how things are done. Its time to shit or get off the pot with them. They should have a real chance in the lineup to perform better than the outgoing Lewis Lizotte Kaliyev and Grundstrom. I should admit that I thought these bottom 6 players were fine and not the problem with the team but the top of the lineup is signed with term already and never take the blame.

Gross descriptor, what Frat House or Sorority maybe. are you in?

Watch it on my thread Schmoolsburger.

I don't know what Blake will do with the draft and FA not over.

But I would sign all FA's for the least possible amount if you retain them after the draft, one thing Blake does well consistently.

They are all assets even if you flip them later.

I would especially like to see Kaliyev given a chance on a top 3 line and Lizzo and Grund on line 4 for veteran support of the incoming youth.

They could also bump up the line combos as they have in the past, if any of the the young guys struggle.

What I recently asked you guys here is, not only what you would do but

DID YOU GUYS CHANGE YOUR VOTES AFTER PLD was voted off the island?

Here is the latest signings post PLD, to help you change your votes and EXPLAIN why you changed it.

Thanks to Hoven.

Turcotte Contract Details, Fagemo Deal Expected Next

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Screenshot_20240624_140906_Facebook.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00