Post-Game Talk: Rexall, Northlands, Skyreach Centre, Edmonton Coliseum-final NHL bow

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
lol the oil definitely went all out.

I saw boyd devereux in the pics at churchill

missing in action however was CHRIS PRONGER

"Hey honey! They're inviting everyone back to edmonton for the last game at the old stadium do you want to go?"

*dagger eyes*

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I liked the game overall. Although it sure started out slow.

But for sure I'm not going to be pumped about beating a NUCKS AHL squad after getting bombed 5-0 by Calgary.

Probably just wishing the season was over already. its dragging on.

I agree with this.

The ceremony was dry and way too long. Most people in my section were yawning and the most common comment going around was "I'm just staying until they announce the 50/50" which was of course at the end of the ceremony. Some of the interviews were good others you could tell no one cared. Most of those old players I guarantee Oiler fans don't even know and others like Shawn Belle and Ryan O'Marra? Like give me a break.

It was a cool experience but too long.

How did Nuge look on TV? From what I could see at the game he created a few chances but doesn't seem to give 2 sh**s about playing and didn't show much emotion. He looked like he didn't care or want to be here. Maybe it was just me.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Don't worry the Canucks will win at home against the Oilers helping the team's draft position.

I don't expect it to matter after tomorrow night to be honest. The Flyers are in live or die mode, and after getting shut out 3-0 against the Red Wings tonight, they're playoff chances took a bit of a hit. They will be looking to rebound tomorrow and will lay a beating on the Maple Leafs. That will lock up 30th for the Leafs and what happens in Vancouver wont matter.

I was at the game tonight. Boring (but not overly poorly played) first period, but excellent final 40 minutes. I had a pretty good feeling the team would get the win tonight. Nice to see McDavid and Hall each put up 3 point nights.

The ceremony was nice, I enjoyed it. Although I'll be honest and say it was maybe a touch too long for me. I got to the game at 4:20 or so and by the end of the night I was definitely ready to go home haha.

Was great to see some obscure guys show up though.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I agree with this.

The ceremony was dry and way too long. Most people in my section were yawning and the most common comment going around was "I'm just staying until they announce the 50/50" which was of course at the end of the ceremony. Some of the interviews were good others you could tell no one cared. Most of those old players I guarantee Oiler fans don't even know and others like Shawn Belle and Ryan O'Marra? Like give me a break.

It was a cool experience but too long.

How did Nuge look on TV? From what I could see at the game he created a few chances but doesn't seem to give 2 sh**s about playing and didn't show much emotion. He looked like he didn't care or want to be here. Maybe it was just me.

Nuge didn't look like much but he's coming back from concussion. Really I don't know why they had him come back early. But he's had a really bad season in anycase.

Nuge I think struggles with the McDavid presense here. Nuge wanted to be the #1 Center. That's my take. Its hard enough playing 2nd fiddle, but now 3rd. I think he knows he's gone.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I wish the Sportsnet turds would just shut up, and let me listen to the ceremony.

Agreed!! This made no ******* sense why the went double screen and showed Quinn and Spector in one and then the intros on the other screen.

Spec sorry to tell you this but no one gives a care about what you have to say in this moment.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I have seen the blue prints and they have very grand plans--problem is the building is my age and is showing it's age and I do not see the building being able to withstand the rebuild and renovations they are talking about.

With horse racing rumoured to be going out as well--they have alot of land to play with
The building is 44 years old not old at all lol . It's not 300 years old and crumbling

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
My wife is pissed because she's trying to sleep and I'm next to her giggling like a six year old because I'm looking at the number of times that Nikitin picture was reposted.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
CfaPwXYWwAAaZQ3.jpg

Nikitin is excellent and all, but we cannot ignore that Garon (I think that's who it is at least) looks like one of the Johns from an IT Crowd episode.

The-IT-Crowd-Season-4-Episode-1-31-1387.jpg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I thought it was all wonderful to be honest. The game was great and seeing a lot of old faces back was great.

It's easy to become overly cynical on the internet, but yeah I just thought it was real nice. The building felt alive and it was good to feel that again.

Also seeing Walter Gretzky there, that to me was just so special I thought.

Loved Bob Cole calling the game too.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
The building is 44 years old not old at all lol . It's not 300 years old and crumbling

Yeah its not an old arena at all.

I didnt want Rexall to close down Even on TV it still looks pretty up to date. But when you're at the game and your walking the main level concourse after the game or intermissions its really tight.

Goodbye Rexall Northlands Coliseum Edmonton Coliseum Skyreach Centre.

Goodbye Section 337 Row 43
Goodbye no leg room in the lower bowl seats in the corners.
Goodbye $20 parking that I told Northlands to stick for all these years and park at the track, not really sure why not many people thought about doing the same.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Just got home from the game, didn't want to jinx it by mentioning it prior like Puritania. :naughty:

Both the 84 reunion and tonight were very well done. Hearing what it meant to these guys to play at the Coliseum sent shivers down my spine.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Don't shoot me, but for some reason I seem to respect John Shannon a lot more after last night.

I think for me seeing a lot of those guys come and still be proud to wear an Oiler jersey was the best part. The respect of not booing guys was also nice to see. Lot of love for Lowe which was nice to see. Even Yak he got an awesome ovation.

The worse part of the night for me is looking into the stands. Just look at all the pure fans in Jerseys that we had there. Ever since the lockout we turned into a corporate meeting for a lot of companies, but yesterday it appeared that fans were the ones getting the tickets. Unfortunate that we don't see more of this.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Bob Cole is the GOAT. My voice of hockey.

I can't wait to tell my future kids that they're wrong about everything when they talk about commentators, great players, etc.

I'm torn between him and Dick Irvin jr., to be honest.

love them both.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
Don't shoot me, but for some reason I seem to respect John Shannon a lot more after last night.

I think for me seeing a lot of those guys come and still be proud to wear an Oiler jersey was the best part. The respect of not booing guys was also nice to see. Lot of love for Lowe which was nice to see. Even Yak he got an awesome ovation.

The worse part of the night for me is looking into the stands. Just look at all the pure fans in Jerseys that we had there. Ever since the lockout we turned into a corporate meeting for a lot of companies, but yesterday it appeared that fans were the ones getting the tickets. Unfortunate that we don't see more of this.

I hate hearing this, corporate fans in Edmonton are just as big fans as everyone else. You do realize when you're asked to go to a game or you're taking company tickets you have to want to go watch this sad sack team?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I hate hearing this, corporate fans in Edmonton are just as big fans as everyone else. You do realize when you're asked to go to a game or you're taking company tickets you have to want to go watch this sad sack team?

Sure there are some that are, but there are a lot who take tickets that are just going to get a free night. We had a louder building back in the 90's when the team was horrid as well, but had less fans showing up. The difference being it was actual fans buying tickets out of their own pockets. Now while you still have fans using their corporation to get their tickets, there is a huge corporate support that buys tickets to gain business.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I dont care how long the ceremony was, its now a memory for me. So many memories in old barn. Time is now to move on though. Joey is a stud.

Well done Daryl Katz!

About the game last night. The replay when Nurse got caught was terrible at the rink. Where it get him? Throat?

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon

Shayne Corson got an applause. That's something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad