Revisiting "Life in Technicolor" from August to September 2010.

JA

About six years ago I started a series of video projects aimed towards documenting various aspects of the Vancouver Canucks, both past and present. At the time there were few montages that focused on the audio-visual experience as many seemed to be slapped together from blurry highlights without regard for cinematography or presentation. Throughout the 2009-10 Vancouver Canucks season I released numerous videos, some of which were featured on Canucks.com's "fan section," and I believe as a result of their popularity others began to pursue the same type of video, featuring stylized footage and an array of colors.

In total, I released eight videos, and at one point I was releasing them at a rate of one per every three weeks. It was at a time when Twitter was not so widespread as it is now, and so the Canucks.com message board was where I promoted them.

In late July 2010 I began a new project. This was "Life in Technicolor," an idea that came from my May 2010 discovery of Coldplay's "Life in Technicolor II," a song from 2009.

The song, in my mind, told the story of a hockey game. Every time I listened to it I could visualize what I wanted to see. I wanted to make it a reality.

I had always tried to be a storyteller with my presentations, but with this one I set out to outdo anything I had previously done before, and so I sat down and planned this project with the intention of packing as much thought into it as possible. The Canucks, at that time, were on the verge of being a Stanley Cup contender and so I wanted to revisit the past while looking towards what could have been a magical season.

The video's first section is a reflection of the past. This transitions into hype about the present Canucks and the development of buzz around the city. We then have visuals from throughout the season, and then the start of the hockey game when Chris Martin's vocals begin: "there's a wild wind blowing 'round the corner of my street. Every night there the headlights are glowing." I wanted to reference "Where the Streets Have No Name" and also draw a parallel between the headlights outside and the lights within the arena. "There's a cold war coming on the radio I heard. Baby, it's a violent world" is the start of the game; we see Mark Donnelly's performance of the anthem, and the start of the "cold war."

We are then taken to "where the street lights glow; I can hear it coming, you can hear the sirens sound" -- the goal light, the sirens.

The video plays out as the story of a hockey game, of the city's love of the game and of their team.

The result was something that featured not only pleasant visuals but also a strong parallel between the visuals and the lyrics. Every lyric in the video corresponds with the visuals on at least one level. I wasn't happy with the state of hockey montages on YouTube, which were mostly disjointed, told no story whatsoever, and featured blaring punk rock or cliched hard rock. I wanted to raise the standard.
For example: There are four images (and hockey-related ideas) that align with the following moment in the song.

"There's a cold war coming on the radio, I heard. Baby, it's a violent world."

1. Cold War: Rick Rypien vs Boris Valabik; North America (Canada) vs Czech Republic (formerly Czechoslovakia, allied with the Soviet Union, and the birthplace of Valabik).

2. Radio: The hockey game is presented on the radio; a game is coming up on the radio.

3. Violence: A hockey fight.

4. Cold war: Hockey is played on a cold sheet of ice and is generally a cold game. It's competitive, so it feels like a cold war.
At various points such as that I tried to layer the imagery. I wanted the on-screen presentation to match the song and tell a story that corresponded with the lyrics.

"Like a serenade of sound," another lyric, for example, featured not only the image of the GM Place crowd but also crowd members holding up a big "Luuuu" sign, giving that moment two different layers. I wanted there to be a narrative, something that made the whole piece cohesive. I thought about cinematography and the flow between scenes. I even thought it was neat that the song featured the lyric "every road is a ray of light," since prior to my first encounter with this song I had already released a Mason Raymond video called "Ray of Light." It was thus a perfect fit to feature Raymond at that moment. The presentation was arranged very carefully. You may even notice that after Shane O'Brien scores a goal against the Chicago Blackhawks in the video, the wide shot of the celebration is sourced from a Canucks game against the Buffalo Sabres.

Of course, there was a bit of controversy after I released the video in August 2010. The video spread very rapidly on Facebook, but I managed to upset a certain cameraman who felt his footage on YouTube should not be used in other videos, non-commercial or not. I asked for his permission but he refused, so I asked him what the price was to use his footage. He asked for a ridiculous sum that nobody in their right mind could afford. As a result I took the video down. There was some bad publicity that resulted, but I just waited and began to work on an alternative.

This is when several Canucks fans stepped in and offered to help, something I'll always be grateful for. I think it's the only project in which people volunteered to provide footage where I had difficulty. Several people were kind enough to provide footage for the sake of getting this video back online, and so all of the city shots and arena shots are provided by people who reached out to me for the extended re-release in September 2010. With the re-release I didn't just want to re-post the video with alternate footage, so instead I added a brand new introduction. The re-release also gave me an opportunity to bring in clips from the preseason as a way to transition into the upcoming 2010-11 season.

I eventually took this video down again. After this video's release I stopped thinking about future projects for a little while, and eventually I felt it was time to take a break. I probably should have left everything online, but I felt that the lack of new content created an expectation for future releases.

There are some things I would do differently with "Life in Technicolor" if I could go back. If I could redo the audio I would because at that time I wasn't as careful about lossless audio or compression. That said, if I were to return to editing I would focus on new projects rather than old ones.

A little while after this I started working on my Lost Shifts and other historical projects. It's been five years since my last musical project. I had a lot of ideas in mind around the 2011 playoffs. Nothing really came out of that.

In the aftermath of "Life in Technicolor," several other Canucks fans released their own videos, and they were quite popular as well. I'm glad so many people enjoyed this video. It's something that still remains close to my heart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
Slightly OT but I really miss Ehrhoff. Watching highlights back then he truly flourished with us such a shame that he left.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Good to see this back up.

Slightly OT but I really miss Ehrhoff. Watching highlights back then he truly flourished with us such a shame that he left.

I say, losing Ehrhoff was the death of the Canucks team Mike Gillis wanted to build when he originally came to Vancouver. We sorely lacked a presence like that on the back end since we lost him.

andyJH

Dec 28, 2005
Man I miss those Canuck teams, and hope we can get back there sooner than later.

I agree. Those teams did not win the cup with way more style than all the other canuck teams who also did not win the cup.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I agree. Those teams did not win the cup with way more style than all the other canuck teams who also did not win the cup.

i HATE hockey. all i care about is millionaires winning a trophy for billionaires. good hockey is BORING. losers SUCK.

andyJH

Dec 28, 2005
i HATE hockey. all i care about is millionaires winning a trophy for billionaires. good hockey is BORING. losers SUCK.

Good hockey is good. Great hockey is great. But I want to see a cup in Vancouver before my time in this world is done.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
good teams still have a very low chance of winning the cup. hope for a good team constructed well and just keep rolling the dice. planning for or expecting anything else is naive

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
good teams still have a very low chance of winning the cup. hope for a good team constructed well and just keep rolling the dice. planning for or expecting anything else is naive

The 1990s St. Louis Blues had some GREAT teams, but so did Dallas, New Jersey, Colorado, and Detroit. So did Toronto, and they couldn't even make the final in the early 90s. The San Jose Sharks most recently had fantastic teams and couldn't put it together. The Minnesota Wild have a great team now, but Chicago and Colorado are two teams in their division that will be gunning them down. I'd be surprised if Minnesota made it to the Cup Finals at all in the next 5-6 years.

andyJH

Dec 28, 2005

I've seen some great hockey played by Canuck teams over my life time. I've thrilled over every game played during the run ups to three SC final appearances. I've seen some lousy hockey played by lovable teams during some stretches. I have always remained a fan.

What I want to experience is being a Canuck fan celebrating a Stanley Cup win.

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
Man I miss those Canuck teams, and hope we can get back there sooner than later.
My thoughts while watching the video too. In fact, this qute...

...although perhaps meant sarcastically, seems accurate to me. It was crushing to see them fall short, but man, that era was the best Canucks team of all time, and I have so many good memories from it.

JA

JA posted this in a place where it wasn't a good fit, but I think it's something of interest here so we can give it a new home.

Thanks, Chairman. I had no idea you could do that! :D

I had to give this a proper writeup since it didn't exactly make a great OP in its original form. ;)

JA

I wouldn't mind getting back to work on these types of videos... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Thanks, Chairman. I had no idea you could do that! :D

I had to give this a proper writeup since it didn't exactly make a great OP in its original form. ;)
Well you originally bumped a 5 year old thread with it. :laugh:

I watched the vid and it brought back some great memories and figured it was something we could use around here at this time.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I knew they wernt gonna win.

u dont celebrate against chicago and still have experience to know what its gonna take to go 4 rounds

injuries aside, the second manny got hurt i knew our chances got slashed, and then hamhuis did the ultimate derp

why am i bothering to say this? I ddint watch game 6 or 7 i knew that team wasnt the team that got there, i saw hamhuis crumple in the live shot. And it was the most crushing moment in my life.

iam young tho, all it did was make me attach to the next core like family.

bowie ****ing horvat people

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
I knew they wernt gonna win.

u dont celebrate against chicago and still have experience to know what its gonna take to go 4 rounds

injuries aside, the second manny got hurt i knew our chances got slashed, and then hamhuis did the ultimate derp

why am i bothering to say this? I ddint watch game 6 or 7 i knew that team wasnt the team that got there, i saw hamhuis crumple in the live shot. And it was the most crushing moment in my life.

iam young tho, all it did was make me attach to the next core like family.

bowie ****ing horvat people
Preach. Just hope the Sedins come back for 1year 1 million contracts so they can assist Bo and co.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Preach. Just hope the Sedins come back for 1year 1 million contracts so they can assist Bo and co.

Guy's a clown. That team was the best team we'll ice for the next decade in my opinion. 117 points. What a ****ing year that was. Gillis was the silent protector of hockey fans in Vancouver. The dark knight, if you will. No way any of the 2010-11 or 2011-12 season happens that brought so many fans to this site on board without him.

Luongo/Schneider was the best goaltending tandem of all-time, IMO. It's a shame we traded Schneider. I'm not unhappy with the return, he's gonna be one of my favourite Canucks of all-time I think, but at the time for the franchise, it was MG's downfall.

That PP though. Sedins in their prime, protecting the puck on the wall...they were 190-200 at best, but they used the wall like they were 230-240. That's a heavy, tough player IMO. Didn't hurt they had the skills of 2 Guy Lafleur's either. Plus prime Edler and Ehrhoff on the back end. Could skate miles, they could make mistakes and get back to atone them. They could pinch up in the rush because they know if they didn't end it, one of them would stay back. I love that 4th forward/rover mentality. It drives the offense and makes the team better.

I'll just end this post with me sitting on a nostalgia high. That team should have won the Cup. That's probably gonna be the team I'll tell my nephews that was the best team in history when I grow old. I'll be the equivalent of the guy rambling on about 1994 in 2050.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Guy's a clown. That team was the best team we'll ice for the next decade in my opinion. 117 points. What a ****ing year that was. Gillis was the silent protector of hockey fans in Vancouver. The dark knight, if you will. No way any of the 2010-11 or 2011-12 season happens that brought so many fans to this site on board without him.

Luongo/Schneider was the best goaltending tandem of all-time, IMO. It's a shame we traded Schneider. I'm not unhappy with the return, he's gonna be one of my favourite Canucks of all-time I think, but at the time for the franchise, it was MG's downfall.

That PP though. Sedins in their prime, protecting the puck on the wall...they were 190-200 at best, but they used the wall like they were 230-240. That's a heavy, tough player IMO. Didn't hurt they had the skills of 2 Guy Lafleur's either. Plus prime Edler and Ehrhoff on the back end. Could skate miles, they could make mistakes and get back to atone them. They could pinch up in the rush because they know if they didn't end it, one of them would stay back. I love that 4th forward/rover mentality. It drives the offense and makes the team better.

I'll just end this post with me sitting on a nostalgia high. That team should have won the Cup. That's probably gonna be the team I'll tell my nephews that was the best team in history when I grow old. I'll be the equivalent of the guy rambling on about 1994 in 2050.

yup hardest time of my life watching my terminally ill mother lose her battle with cancer. That team was my solace. Took my mind off of everything else whenever it was on. Was a pleasure to watch them every night.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
yup hardest time of my life watching my terminally ill mother lose her battle with cancer. That team was my solace. Took my mind off of everything else whenever it was on. Was a pleasure to watch them every night.

I'm sorry about your mother, man. I couldn't imagine dealing with that, but that team must have been some release at least. It literally kicked ass and took names. I'll never forget that high being the Vancouver Canucks where we'd walk into other teams' rinks and the fans would say "We are in for a rough night here". That was the best. Teams would hate us, but have that respect.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I watched that like every day during the 2011 run. It was a fantastic video. I still haven't gotten myself to watch anything related to 2011 since Game 7 of the finals... damn injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad