Proposal: Revisiting Drouin to Colorado

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
We all know Drouin and MacKinnon were dynamite together in junior. With Habs struggling, Drouin's deal soon coming to an end, and Colorado gunning for the Cup actually needing top-6 depth, it seems a Drouin deal to Colorado would finally make sense for all parties involved.

Montreal would likely have to retain salary and take on someone like Jost or Murray for salary cap purposes. Or wouldn't mind taking on EJ if you want to get rid of his salary.

Assets I could see Montreal interested in; young prospects like Barron, Olausson, Beaucage, Ranta, Foudy, Bowers, Kaut, Behrens, Helleson, Colorado's 1st in 2023, or dare I say it: Drouin + something else for Sam Girard.

Fire away

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
We all know Drouin and MacKinnon were dynamite together in junior. With Habs struggling, Drouin's deal soon coming to an end, and Colorado gunning for the Cup actually needing top-6 depth, it seems a Drouin deal to Colorado would finally make sense for all parties involved.

Montreal would likely have to retain salary and take on someone like Jost or Murray for salary cap purposes. Or wouldn't mind taking on EJ if you want to get rid of his salary.

Assets I could see Montreal interested in; young prospects like Barron, Olausson, Beaucage, Ranta, Foudy, Bowers, Kaut, Behrens, Helleson, Colorado's 1st in 2023, or dare I say it: Drouin + something else for Sam Girard.

Fire away
would think COL fans will say no, but should prolly be saying maybe. depending on the return and cap stuff

that being said, I don't think Drouin returns a 1st , even a late one, much less in a package for Girard

Reactions: Flyer lurker

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Fire away
That plus would need to be the Habs unprotected 1st in 2022 or Caufield plus a high second. And Habs retain 50% on Drouin, who isn’t good, and is of virtually no use to the Avs in their bottom six. There is No Fing way the Avs would play him top line ahead of their many better forwards (Landy, Rants, Bura, Kadri, Nuke, Newhook even Logan OConner). He’d never get the chance to put an anchor on Mack. He’d play with a Jost or JT Compher in the bottom six. Maybe get some PP2 time. He can’t Pk. He’s pretty useless and grossly overpaid.

Girard would be, by far, the Habs best defender. He’d probably be your best player. So that one would cost you a top prospect ++.

Avs have zero need to pay ANYTHING of value for Drouin. Hardly any team does. A first for him? That’s insane. What team wants to pay anything for a .5 PPG guy that can’t score goals, sucks defensively, has mental health issues and makes $5.5mm AAV? That would be zero Chuck! Among the many bad contracts MB gave out, his is one of the worst.

these Habs to Avs proposals never go anywhere. Habs need to find teams with cap space to take a few overpaid wingers off their hands. Won’t be easy in the flat cap world. You’ll get nothing back but cap space. Avs don’t have the cap space for any of those unattractive contracts. Especially Drouin’s bad contract.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Skilled junior players on the same team always have "chemistry" simply because they are much better than their peers.

Avs aren't going to trade for Drouin. Don't have cap space and don't have a need for him.

Reactions: Islay1989

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Like this hasn’t been beaten to death. No good will come if this.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
That plus would need to be the Habs unprotected 1st in 2022 or Caufield plus a high second. And Habs retain 50% on Drouin, who isn’t good, and is of virtually no use to the Avs in their bottom six. There is No Fing way the Avs would play him top line ahead of their many better forwards (Landy, Rants, Bura, Kadri, Nuke, Newhook even Logan OConner). He’d never get the chance to put an anchor on Mack. He’d play with a Jost or JT Compher in the bottom six. Maybe get some PP2 time. He can’t Pk. He’s pretty useless and grossly overpaid.

Girard would be, by far, the Habs best defender. He’d probably be your best player. So that one would cost you a top prospect ++.

Avs have zero need to pay ANYTHING of value for Drouin. Hardly any team does. A first for him? That’s insane. What team wants to pay anything for a .5 PPG guy that can’t score goals, sucks defensively, has mental health issues and makes $5.5mm AAV? That would be zero Chuck! Among the many bad contracts MB gave out, his is one of the worst.

these Habs to Avs proposals never go anywhere. Habs need to find teams with cap space to take a few overpaid wingers off their hands. Won’t be easy in the flat cap world. You’ll get nothing back but cap space. Avs don’t have the cap space for any of those unattractive contracts. Especially Drouin’s bad contract.

While I agree with most of what you said, the Avs arent winning the cup with O'Connor on their 1st line. Colorado choked in last year's playoffs and they had absolutely no offensive depth beyond their 1st line and it was even worse with Kadri's suspension.

Drouin has offensive skills and is a known playoff performer. He is still young and has chemistry with MacKinnon. Sakic will acquire someone at the deadline to bolser the Avs' depth, might as well be Drouin. He shouldn't be too expensive in a trade, and he can bump down Rantanen to give you a scary 2nd line with Rantanen-Kadri-Burakovsky or something. The 1st line with MacKinnon shall produce well with Drouin and Landeskog. Now that's a line-up I could see Colorado winning a cup with.

Drouin 50% retained, for EJ or Jost or Murray (cap purposes) along with a youngster (I really like Beaucage personnally) would be a good deal for both side

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

That's just delusional.
Just a few of your awfully biased takes
Girard worth a 1-5 selection + Drouin
Girard is better/more valuable then any one on the habs (Suzuki?)
Top prospect (Caufield) ++ for Girard
Logan O'Connor and Nichuskin better then Drouin

We get it you don't like the montreal Canadiens and/or Drouin, but just a minimum of common sense would greatly help your credibility.

Reactions: Maitz

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
While I agree with most of what you said, the Avs arent winning the cup with O'Connor on their 1st line. Colorado choked in last year's playoffs and they had absolutely no offensive depth beyond their 1st line and it was even worse with Kadri's suspension.

Drouin has offensive skills and is a known playoff performer. He is still young and has chemistry with MacKinnon. Sakic will acquire someone at the deadline to bolser the Avs' depth, might as well be Drouin. He shouldn't be too expensive in a trade, and he can bump down Rantanen to give you a scary 2nd line with Rantanen-Kadri-Burakovsky or something. The 1st line with MacKinnon shall produce well with Drouin and Landeskog. Now that's a line-up I could see Colorado winning a cup with.

Drouin 50% retained, for EJ or Jost or Murray (cap purposes) along with a youngster (I really like Beaucage personnally) would be a good deal for both side
I'd rather keep Drouin, if all we can get is a B-prospect. Like you said he's still young. Best case scenario for Beaucage is probably a third liner, if everything goes well. It's probably a coin flip between that and an AHL journey man.
Yes, it can be frustrating to watch him sometimes as it doesn't feel like he's fully engaged. However, he's one of the most talented player on a team that lacks talent.

Reactions: Number 57

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
That's just delusional.

We get it you don't like the montreal Canadiens and/or Drouin, but just a minimum of common sense would greatly help your credibility.
Drouin has no value. Of course Nuke is better. By a lot. He’s a much more complete player. He forechecks, he’s defensively awesome, he’s great on the Pk, his Corsi and possession stats are awesome. He’s an important part of the Avs. Is drouin important to Montreal?

half the Habs fan base doesn’t realize there is more to NHL hockey than collecting secondary assists.

drouin doesn’t score goals, his defense sucks, he’s not nearly as physical or possession driven as Nuke. He doesn’t PK. He makes $5.5mm. He’s got serious mental health issues that saw him quit on his team, checks notes, late last season.

OConner makes $1.05mm and is also a more complete player than Drouin. More reliable. Is he as skilled? Nope. But he’s still better at significant components of NHL hockey and he makes less than 20% of what Montreal wastes on Drouin.

drouin is negative value. He’s maybe neutral value at 50% retained. He’s your problem. He’s no one else’s solution.

pockets

I haven't slept for 10 days cuz that'd be too long
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
This has got to be a new certainty in life besides death and taxes…frequent lopsided proposals pawning Drouin off on the Avs using “chemistry with MacKinnon during juniors” as the main reason.

Avs don’t want f***in’ Drouin, and certainly not at the expense of Girard…

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
It's not a knock on the player necessarily, I just don't even think Colorado would take him for free at this point, he doesn't justify his salary

Reactions: pockets

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
That's just delusional.

You write + with Drouin. Get this into your head. Drouin is a -

he is a negative value contract. Drouin isn’t added to trades. He’s included as a negative value component to balance out whatever he’s attached to as they depart Montreal.

Drouin isn’t a base of a deal. He’s not a + in a deal. He’s only a -

and putting Drouin and Girard is the same deal is exactly like putting JTC and Suzuki in a proposal.

it’s absurd.

Last edited:
Reactions: pockets

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
That's just delusional.

We can't move Girard for a draft pick that might end up in 8-10 selection. We need help now and with Byram's concussions and durability I don't think Girard should be on the table now.

I agree with him that for us Girard is more valuable than anyone not named Suzuki. Anderson intrigues me but still think Girard is more valuable.

Even if Bergevin is dumb enough to let his best prospect go + something else for Girard. I think we lose the trade today. We need a player that is proven for a top 6 role not a struggling rookie while losing a top 4 dman. We would need help now not in the future even though.

If we acquire Drouin it's easily to be in our top 6. He would be useless in the bottom 6 where guys like LOC and Nuke are way better. Drouin is better than both skill wise and production wise but they're just way more useful than Drouin. LOC and Nuke can be put in the PP (as bumper position), PK and through the lineup. The energy both of these guys brings is just off the charts and one of them just cost 1M$ ffs. If Drouin doesn't pan out as a top 6 player in Denver that's wasted assets and salary cap in our roster which we can't risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: jfhabs

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Holy f***.

Can we please just lock these stupid Drouin to Colorado threads the moment they are made.

The Avs have zero interest in him especially at the price Habs fans think he's worth. Every thread we say the same things and yet every week a new thread is made. Enough already.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
We can't move Girard for a draft pick that might end up in 8-10 selection. We need help now and with Byram's concussions and durability I don't think Girard should be on the table now.

I agree with him that for us Girard is more valuable than anyone not named Suzuki. Anderson intrigues me but still think Girard is more valuable.

Even if Bergevin is dumb enough to let his best prospect go + something else for Girard. I think we lose the trade today. We need a player that is proven for a top 6 role not a struggling rookie while losing a top 4 dman. We would need help now not in the future even though.

If we acquire Drouin it's easily to be in our top 6. He would be useless in the bottom 6 where guys like LOC and Nuke are way better. Drouin is better than both skill wise and production wise but they're just way more useful than Drouin. LOC and Nuke can be put in the PP (as bumper position), PK and through the lineup. The energy both of these guys brings is just off the charts and one of them just cost 1M$ ffs. If Drouin doesn't pan out as a top 6 player in Denver that's wasted assets and salary cap in our roster which we can't risk.
All fair points, just don't see the point of going full delusional haha
Anyway, I think Drouin needs to play to retrieve some value. Imo we need him more right now then what we'll be able to get anyway. Not saying he's worth a 1st or something similar right now, but I think he would be a great gamble for a team with injuries

Reactions: Spilot23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad