Reverse retro CBJ jersey

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
These seem fine. Yeah they strongly resemble the Caps jerseys but that's not a fatal flaw in my book. Only change I would have made would be blue piping rather than just white on red.

I also think they will look better in person.

Side note - I have a red, fitted New Era CBJ hat from a few seasons ago. That hat is probably my favorite. All of the Adidas and Fanatics hats suck. It's like they threw hats in at the last minute and had them designed for people who don't know what hats are. Just want to throw that in.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTN71 and Viqsi

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I never liked the original Jackets sweaters and dislike the retro look even more. If you’re adding another jersey to add to the cash register, at least make it one that tempts me to buy it.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I never liked the original Jackets sweaters and dislike the retro look even more. If you’re adding another jersey to add to the cash register, at least make it one that tempts me to buy it.

Sounds like you were never the target demographic to begin with.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Sounds like you were never the target demographic to begin with.
Wrong again! I was hockey fan long before the Jackets hit town so I check that box. I buy jerseys so boxed checked. I have the money to attend games. Box checked. And I was in a position to sponsor party suites and business seats. Exactly the demographic a team wants.

As to the original logo, it must not have appealed to the teams perceived demographic as its life was brief. I was among those who disliked it. While I understand the team history is short making it tougher to come up with a retro look, they chose to not tweak or modify that original logo and chose to basically stitch it onto a Washington Caps jersey- neither concept appeals. So I’ll likely buy another Checkers “retro” item instead.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Wrong again! I was hockey fan long before the Jackets hit town so I check that box. I buy jerseys so boxed checked. I have the money to attend games. Box checked. And I was in a position to sponsor party suites and business seats. Exactly the demographic a team wants.

As to the original logo, it must not have appealed to the teams perceived demographic as its life was brief. I was among those who disliked it. While I understand the team history is short making it tougher to come up with a retro look, they chose to not tweak or modify that original logo and chose to basically stitch it onto a Washington Caps jersey- neither concept appeals. So I’ll likely buy another Checkers “retro” item instead.
But the concept was reverse and retro for the CBJ and you said you liked neither so they clearly weren’t catering to you.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Don't hate 'em. Don't love 'em.

I don't have a problem with the look. I couldn't care less that it's a color scheme that's totally different from the norm. Part of having an alternate jersey scheme is that it's, you know... alternate.

If you like them, buy one. If you don't, don't. That concludes my interest.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Don't love it. Don't hate it. But definitely a missed opportunity not having Stinger on the shoulders -- if you're going retro then go retro!

I'll buy one to add to the collection.

Getting one anyways

They don't look that terrible in NHL21.

Agreed... I’m 50/50 due to the Caps resemblance and the white on the top...BUT I did order one.

I mean it’s still CBJ and gives me different Jersey add to rock/add to the collection so I was always gonna be in.

And yes they’re great to rock in NHL 21 :D

Bonus: the Ducks jersey is freakin’ awesome .. theirs and Arizona’s are probably my favorite of these reverse retros... cheers ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Toe Pick

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Agreed... I’m 50/50 due to the Caps resemblance and the white on the top...BUT I did order one.

I mean it’s still CBJ and gives me different Jersey add to rock/add to the collection so I was always gonna be in.

And yes they’re great to rock in NHL 21 :D

Bonus: the Ducks jersey is freakin’ awesome .. theirs and Arizona’s are probably my favorite of these reverse retros... cheers ;)

This are my two favorites. We should have gone with a cartoon Boomer.

Love the Coyotes jersey but the Ducks are hideous.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Love the Coyotes jersey but the Ducks are hideous.

There is a difference between intentionally hideous (Ducks) and unintentionally hideous (Wild, Sabres, Oilers, Jackets). I think it will be interesting to see how jerseys like the Flames with Blasty and the Ducks with Wild Wing sell compared to their normal sales vs some of the other teams. I could see the Devils selling well. But I don’t know why a Leafs fan or Sabres fan or an Oilers fan would spend their money on these reverse retros.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
There is a difference between intentionally hideous (Ducks) and unintentionally hideous (Wild, Sabres, Oilers, Jackets). I think it will be interesting to see how jerseys like the Flames with Blasty and the Ducks with Wild Wing sell compared to their normal sales vs some of the other teams. I could see the Devils selling well. But I don’t know why a Leafs fan or Sabres fan or an Oilers fan would spend their money on these reverse retros.

True. Leafs have a million variations over the years already. The Sabres jersey looks nice but at least they didn't use Buffaslug. Oilers and Islanders just look like regular jerseys. The Islanders absolutely should have used the Gorton's Fisherman in my opinion. The Stars retro jersey is not that interesting but they also introduced the neon 3rd this season. At least they didn't go the Mooterus route.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
True. Leafs have a million variations over the years already. The Sabres jersey looks nice but at least they didn't use Buffaslug. Oilers and Islanders just look like regular jerseys. The Islanders absolutely should have used the Gorton's Fisherman in my opinion. The Stars retro jersey is not that interesting but they also introduced the neon 3rd this season. At least they didn't go the Mooterus route.

I agree on being glad Dallas did not use the mooterus and that the Islanders really should have used the Gorton’s Fisherman. There are some things that are so bad they are good with time. Wild Wing, Gorton’s Fisherman, and Boomer are in that category. The Mooterus is probably never going to reach the so bad it is good level. Buffaslug needs more time.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Isles really missed the boat not using the fisherman. (Pun intended?)
IMO..

TOP 5
Coyotes
Ducks
Stars
Avs
Vegas

BOTTOM 5
Jets
Leafs
Wings
Hawks
Isles

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think the worst might be the Wild. It basically says, “Hey, we know our fans like the old team better than the new team.” Which is different from Colorado and Carolina gloating that they stole another city’s team.

I think the Kings are also kind of pathetic, like they are saying “Hey, we know you love the Lakers who just won a championship. Please buy this jersey.” Yes I know those used to be their colors. Which just shows how sad the franchise is when it comes to jerseys — like when they traded the Lakers colors for the Raiders colors back in 80s. I don’t think they have ever had a cool jersey. The current Kings logo sucks.

I am wondering if the NFL did reverse retro jerseys would the Ravens gloat that Baltimore stole the Browns or lament that Baltimore lost the Colts.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Isles really missed the boat not using the fisherman. (Pun intended?)
IMO..

upload_2020-12-6_16-37-38.gif

Reactions: CPTN71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I think the worst might be the Wild. It basically says, “Hey, we know our fans like the old team better than the new team.” Which is different from Colorado and Carolina gloating that they stole another city’s team.

I think the Kings are also kind of pathetic, like they are saying “Hey, we know you love the Lakers who just won a championship. Please buy this jersey.” Yes I know those used to be their colors. Which just shows how sad the franchise is when it comes to jerseys — like when they traded the Lakers colors for the Raiders colors back in 80s. I don’t think they have ever had a cool jersey. The current Kings logo sucks.

I am wondering if the NFL did reverse retro jerseys would the Ravens gloat that Baltimore stole the Browns or lament that Baltimore lost the Colts.
When they first released somebody told me the Wild look like they are wearing Subway jerseys.

Ever since then I haven’t been able to get that out of my head.

Reactions: koteka

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Wearing them 2 times against Dallas? maybe they should have chosen to wear them against teams who were original division rivals like Chicago and Detroit instead of Dallas and Tampa.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I thought it would be more than 4 games .. honestly they should have swapped the alternate schedule with the RR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad