Retired NHL players user car salesmen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Hey guys,
Remember in the 90s, how a weirdly high number of retired NHL players ended up getting jobs as spokespeople for used car dealerships? Does that still happen? Or are players making so much $$ now that in theory they never need to work again (and therefore don't need to do user car commercials)
Even with the higher salaries, a large number of players aren't retiring with enough money to never work again. To get that kind of money, players, need to get second and third contracts, and a whole lot of guys don't get there.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
I know plenty of NHLers that are now working regular jobs. I don't think the average fan realizes how hard it is to make a career out of hockey and be able to save enough money to retire and never work again. Yes the superstars that make big contracts if they are smart won't need to work. But the average NHL career is what just under 5 years?

- Add in mortgage(s) (many players have multiple homes)
- Family/wife expenses
- Agent
- Life (cars, boats, toys, food, restaurants etc)
- Nutritionist, personal trainer, masseuse, cook, skating coach, shooting coach etc etc

I played rec with a guy whos around 35 years old, played NHL for a couple seasons, AHL, Europe up until last year. He's now a car salesman and skills coach at a hockey academy. Great guy but has to pay the bills just like the rest of us so hes gotta work.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad