Retired NHL players user car salesmen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

senseimike

Dec 6, 2015
Hey guys,
Remember in the 90s, how a weirdly high number of retired NHL players ended up getting jobs as spokespeople for used car dealerships? Does that still happen? Or are players making so much $$ now that in theory they never need to work again (and therefore don't need to do user car commercials)

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
That's a very specific question but more broadly, it would be kind of interesting to know what post-NHL lives have looked like for players who played a good chunk of their careers in the 90s or later, at a time when most veterans would be signing a contract that would make them flat-out rich, i.e. 7 figures per season.

If they didn't absolutely blow through their earnings and managed to save a few bucks, there is financially no reason why a 10 year NHL vet couldn't retire at the end of their NHL career. But 33 seems like a pretty young age to retire to a life of napping and golf?!

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah it still happened until some team decided to put one of them behind the bench and have him run the defence (against his will mind you)

Reactions: RegDunlop

Carbooja

Uncle Salaami
Jun 2, 2011
Brampton, Ontario
Paul Coffey owns a couple of dealerships north of Toronto.

"Coffey bought the seven acres of land underneath all three lots nearly two decades ago after he secured a grant to open the Toyota dealership next door. He has since sold the Toyota dealership, but Paul Coffey’s Bolton Kia, the car wash, and the partnership with Access Storage on their 100,000-square foot facility are his own.

He calls it “arguably the smartest thing I ever did.”

Reactions: Oddbob and Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

"Coffey bought the seven acres of land underneath all three lots nearly two decades ago after he secured a grant to open the Toyota dealership next door. He has since sold the Toyota dealership, but Paul Coffey’s Bolton Kia, the car wash, and the partnership with Access Storage on their 100,000-square foot facility are his own.

One of the geniuses who bought land in Bolton when it was dirt cheap and just starting to grow.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hey guys,
Remember in the 90s, how a weirdly high number of retired NHL players ended up getting jobs as spokespeople for used car dealerships? Does that still happen? Or are players making so much $$ now that in theory they never need to work again (and therefore don't need to do user car commercials)

When players made 'medium money' in the 70s/80s and weren't set for life at the end of their careers, owning a car dealership was a good way to trade on their name recognition.

Nowadays, most players are pretty set for life and also tend to have higher-level real estate investment options available to them relative to running a business with day-to-day operations and the associated risks.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
A bit unrelated but a former all pro probowl place kicker once delivered a a new car key to my dads house. The former NFL kicker was working at the Lexus dealership.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

I was going to post that I thought I remember my brother mentioning to me that Coffey had his own car dealership.

Reactions: Carbooja

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Superstar!

Realistically, I'm hoping Max Talbot and others are well off in their post-game careers than some wrestlers were, relying on Japanese cab driver anecdotes to pay the bills:

I used to love that Talbot commercial

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
When players made 'medium money' in the 70s/80s and weren't set for life at the end of their careers, owning a car dealership was a good way to trade on their name recognition.

Nowadays, most players are pretty set for life and also tend to have higher-level real estate investment options available to them relative to running a business with day-to-day operations and the associated risks.

This, plus the internet has really disrupted what had been a relatively simple business. Name recognition used to be pretty useful, now I can order a customized car online. Car salesmen have been moving to different fields for awhile now because it ain’t what it was in the ‘90s.

Reactions: MS

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Not car salesmen, but over the years I have covered Rob McClanahan, Ian Moran, Cam Janssens, and an assortment of minor leaguers when they traded stocks.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Hey guys,
I assume you that some of these players actually owned the dealership you are talking about

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad