Report: ROR made an push for Preds to trade for MM

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
More gold from Marners previous contract:

Marner, who led the Maple Leafs in points for a second straight season last year, will carry an average annual cap hit of $10.893 million on his new contract, the third-highest cap hit on the team. Ferris told First Up that Marner looked to Maple Leafs centres Auston Matthews and John Tavares as comparable contracts while he negotiated, rather than comparing himself to players around the league.

"Absolutely. That is one of the factors that you bring into it, that there is a comparison of players on his team, his teammates," Ferris said. "I'm sure when you go to work and you do the same amount of work as someone else does in your company you feel you should be compensated as fairly as them. It's hard for people to relate considering the dollars we talk about here, but remember players' careers are short, they're not long careers and in Mitch's case, he just wanted to be treated fairly and that we got to do at the end of the day, it completed a great contract for him and for the Leafs. He can remain a Leaf and not entertain any of these offer sheets that had been proposed and move on."

Ain't going to win with a greedy player like this.

Wanting to be paid like a 27 year old who just signed a UFA contract and also was a two time Hart nominee, former 1st overall pick and plays center.

Wanting to paid like a 1st overall pick, who scored 40 goals as a rookie, plays center. Also a player who just paced the same as Marner but with 3rd and 4th liners (Marleau, Johnsson and Kapanen)

Meanwhile Marner just finished a season playing with a 27 year old elite centerman (Tavares) and Hyman.

Get this bum out of here.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The original article is actually from the Toronto Star (if you follow the links). It certainly wasn’t a headline and was presented in a matter of fact manner. I think it’s legit, simply based on the way it’s presented.
It feels legit to me too but not sure why the Marner fanboys are getting so excited over this. Of course ROR would want to play with him, he's a great playmaker so who wouldn't want him on their line during the regular season? The only knock on him is that he fades after the first few playoff games but NSH isn't a serious contender anyway so that doesn't matter, plus ROR might have thought that the Leafs are desperate to unload him so they could get him cheap. But that doesn't change anything, for fans like me who have watched almost every NHL game Marner has ever played, why would whatever ROR said (or what anyone else says) matter?

Earth to Westeros.

Yeah, I’m sure the on record comments from all his teammates that’s he great in the room, they all love him, just fake news too. Right? OR, maybe just maybe, your little baseless construct is just that.

Instead of just arguing the merits of his play and trade issues, the fact people must demonize the guy to fit their own warped sensibilities, it just never ceases to amaze me. Mitch Marner, by all accounts, great teammate, friend, animal lover, philanthropic, generous to others. He seems a much better human being than most.
Can you give us example of players saying anything but positive things about their teammates? I don't think you can and yes of course it's fake news, it's just standard boilerplate BS that we've heard thousands of times from thousands of players.

Instead of just arguing the merits of his play, you're talking about how he loves animals. LMAO I swear you can't make this shit up.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. There goes another bs narrative hater nation. Reality meet constructed fiction. ROR didn't hate Mitch in the room I guess eh? Oh man. Fake news I guess ;)

LOVE IT!
Mentioned this before. From what I hear from someone I know that is close with O'Rielly is that he enjoyed his time in Toronto and seriously considered coming back. I think there is a lot of BS about him running from the core. But the one thing he didn't like was that the dressing room wasn't for the players. Too many suits pouncing through.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Mentioned this before. From what I hear from someone I know that is close with O'Rielly is that he enjoyed his time in Toronto and seriously considered coming back. I think there is a lot of BS about him running from the core. But the one thing he didn't like was that the dressing room wasn't for the players. Too many suits pouncing through.
Don't think he liked the glare, and that's fine. He has his cup, Nashville is a great market.

Reactions: ITM and Rude Dog

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Earth to Westeros.

Yeah, I’m sure the on record comments from all his teammates that’s he great in the room, they all love him, just fake news too. Right? OR, maybe just maybe, your little baseless construct is just that.

Instead of just arguing the merits of his play and trade issues, the fact people must demonize the guy to fit their own warped sensibilities, it just never ceases to amaze me. Mitch Marner, by all accounts, great teammate, friend, animal lover, philanthropic, generous to others. He seems a much better human being than most.

Why would I argue the merits of his play? I like Marner lol. Some of you guys are sensitive, Jesus Christ.

Reactions: IPS

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Love how marner sycophants cling on some unconfirmed rumours to prove that Marner is a stud.
Yep, fake news. Can always play that card. Now go look at the other hundred clips of former and current players praising Marner, might notice a trend, unless of course the film was altered ;)

When you heard ROR didn't like the room did you call it an unconfirmed report?

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Yep, fake news. Can always play that card. Now go look at the other hundred clips of former and current players praising Marner, might notice a trend, unless of course the film was altered.

For years people praised Jimmy Savile and Harvey Weinstein as well. Hockey players verbally fellate each other all the time, it doesn't mean shit.

The Toronto Star has been a purveyor of Fake News for decades.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Why would I argue the merits of his play? I like Marner lol. Some of you guys are sensitive, Jesus Christ.
Why wouldn't you believe this report? Who ever said there were 17 offer sheets? Just responding, no need to react so sensitively. Cheers Jon Snow :)

For years people praised Jimmy Savile and Harvey Weinstein as well. Hockey players verbally fellate each other all the time, it doesn't mean shit.

Thanks for that, it confirms a lot. Mostly why did I waste my time. The TS lol.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

What about Mike Babcock too?

He did charity work, was an animal lover too, a good Saskatchewan man, etc...

Sure didn't take long for people to turn on him (except the people like me who saw through his BS from day 1).

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Why wouldn't you believe this report? Who ever said there were 17 offer sheets? Just responding, no need to react so sensitively. Cheers Jon Snow :)

Thanks for that, it confirms a lot. Mostly why did I waste my time. The TS lol.

Cmon dude... The 17 offer sheets is clearly a joke. It was rumored to be one or two offer sheets, but I don't believe that. Seemed like a bargaining ploy.

As for the Star, I stopped reading that rag in 2003 - in fact I stopped reading all rags after the "Iraq has weapons of mass destruction" bullshit.

What about Mike Babcock too?

He did charity work, was an animal lover too, a good Saskatchewan man, etc...

Sure didn't take long for people to turn on him (except the people like me who saw through his BS from day 1).

Beautiful example. To be honest with you I have erased that loser from my mind. Great evaluator of talent, but a completely piece of shit human being. All that fluff (charity work, animal lover, etc) was just a ploy to help him hide in plain sight.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Cmon dude... The 17 offer sheets is clearly a joke. It was rumored to be one or two offer sheets, but I don't believe that. Seemed like a bargaining ploy.

As for the Star, I stopped reading that rag in 2003 - in fact I stopped reading all rags after the "Iraq has weapons of mass destruction" bullshit.
You guys are a JOKE:

"There was one major exception to this trend in Canadian media: the Toronto Star. On March 18, they published an editorial titled “Canada is right to say No to war,” arguing, “This war is morally wrong, ill timed and of dubious legality. Criminal as Saddam’s regime is, and deserving of containment, it poses no real threat to the U.S. or anyone else.”

The only paper in Canada to not favour the Iraq war. Get off here and go read something. Sheesh. You're fake news.

This place never ceases. I'm out.

Reactions: WillNy29

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. There goes another bs narrative hater nation. Reality meet constructed fiction. ROR didn't hate Mitch in the room I guess eh? Oh man. Fake news I guess ;)

LOVE IT!
I don’t think it was Marner he was hinting at…

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It would have better for the Preds in the long run to trade for Marner and sign him to an extension than what they did with FA.

Reactions: francis246

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
You guys are a JOKE:

"There was one major exception to this trend in Canadian media: the Toronto Star. On March 18, they published an editorial titled “Canada is right to say No to war,” arguing, “This war is morally wrong, ill timed and of dubious legality. Criminal as Saddam’s regime is, and deserving of containment, it poses no real threat to the U.S. or anyone else.”

The only paper in Canada to not favour the Iraq war. Get off here and go read something. Sheesh. You're fake news.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Toronto Star is nothing but bullshit.

Attachments

• FCwBlMLWUAcB6vs.jpg
    FCwBlMLWUAcB6vs.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 1

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Come on man, we've read that for months here, insinuated he didn't like the room, extrapolating to Marner every time.

Later, it speaks for itself and so does the mob mentality here.

I think it was more about the environment they were allowed play in than a particular individual.

Enough of the Star Politics, guys. Put it away.

• Love
Reactions: mikeyz

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
You guys are a JOKE:

The only paper that tells the truth:
attachment.php

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad