OT: Remembering Rick Rypien

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Seemed like a great guy to be around. Very sad to think of all the sleepless nights he must have had abs struggles ...

Illness is not weakness. Talk to someone , anyone. Even on here , people disagree and whatever but out there is real life. Message anyone on here if you need to talk (including me) or need resources. Life it too short.

RIP RYP

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
My tribute image to him when I was doing my JABs:

CAR_Sports_LRG_2278.jpg
Nice tribute but he's right handed?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
One of my favs obviously. Pound for Pound as tough as they come

Remember watching him coming off injury at a practice one time. He looked so damn happy to be back with the boys and on the ice working on his skills. Must of been hard sitting at the end of the bench for long stretches just wanting to play hockey but instead sent out to set a tone or make someone pay a price.

I miss the Rypper.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
My favorite scrap of his was versus Cam Janssen.

November 10, 2009, Janssen gets in a scrap with Tanner Glass. Glass puts forth a good effort, and Janssen showboats the heck out of the end of the fight.

Rypien, IMO, was never a fan of that kind of crap. When Chris Neil did it to him, he returned the favour in Vancouver.

So anyway, December 31, 2009 - Rypien goes right for Janssen and caves his damn nose in. Loved it.

Reactions: Nolan Bombgardener

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Any “enforcer” that has survived has never said he liked fighting. This glorification of gratuitous violence demeans hockey.

Reactions: Hodgy

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The late Rick Rypien and Olympian Clara Hughes have highlighted the athletes and everyday people struggling daily with debilitating depression. I pray for them and their families.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Feel like too many in the hockey world have forgotten about Rick Rypien. Just sad to me at this point, speaking as someone who struggled with severe depression while in university and still has to deal with the lingering effects of that now.

Guessing the Canucks organization still brings Rypien up a fair bit, but he's been lost to time IMHO.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Feel like too many in the hockey world have forgotten about Rick Rypien. Just sad to me at this point, speaking as someone who struggled with severe depression while in university and still has to deal with the lingering effects of that now.

Guessing the Canucks organization still brings Rypien up a fair bit, but he's been lost to time IMHO.

I had barely knew anyone who had committed suicide, let alone died at the time hence why it was probably more impactful on me.

Some 13 years later and it's unfortunate to say death has become way more prevalent in my life. People I knew on a personal level have been lost to suicide or overdoses. Hell, we even lost some forum members on here....

We were making progress for a bit removing the stigma of mental health issues so we could have conversations about it. Sadly, society has turned to total shit post-COVID...People are starting to become apathetic and detatched from each other it seems.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010

I'm ashamed now when I think back to my enjoyment of his on-ice fights, which must have contributed to his mental depression. Thank you for remembering him. I hope you continue to do well.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
My favorite scrap of his was versus Cam Janssen.

November 10, 2009, Janssen gets in a scrap with Tanner Glass. Glass puts forth a good effort, and Janssen showboats the heck out of the end of the fight.

Rypien, IMO, was never a fan of that kind of crap. When Chris Neil did it to him, he returned the favour in Vancouver.

So anyway, December 31, 2009 - Rypien goes right for Janssen and caves his damn nose in. Loved it.

Thinking the refs could’ve stepped in on that Glass fight earlier.

Reactions: quat

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Rypien was such a treat to watch. He exemplifies what it means to be a leader. Former Pats/Wild goaltender once said that Rypien was the best leader/Captain that he's ever played for. A player whose heart was bigger than his size, Rypien showed the hockey world that size doesn't matter. Ryp was so technically sound at fighting, that he would go well out of his weight class and go pound for pound with players much bigger than him and do very well in his fights. Probably one of the best pound for pound fighters of all time. It was a sad day when Winnipeg scooped him up off of waivers, I was pissed because he was becoming a fan favorite. It was a even sadder day when I heard about his death. Unfortunate that he had to go through depression his whole life "like many others do", but Rypien will go down as a leader in the mental health community and on the ice. A true Canuck legend.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Rypien was such a treat to watch. He exemplifies what it means to be a leader. Former Pats/Wild goaltender once said that Rypien was the best leader/Captain that he's ever played for. A player whose heart was bigger than his size, Rypien showed the hockey world that size doesn't matter. Ryp was so technically sound at fighting, that he would go well out of his weight class and go pound for pound with players much bigger than him and do very well in his fights. Probably one of the best pound for pound fighters of all time. It was a sad day when Winnipeg scooped him up off of waivers, I was pissed because he was becoming a fan favorite. It was a even sadder day when I heard about his death. Unfortunate that he had to go through depression his whole life "like many others do", but Rypien will go down as a leader in the mental health community and on the ice. A true Canuck legend.
I keep wondering whether it would have made any difference if he stayed with the Canucks organization. At the time, it seemed like the support provided by Kevin and his wife was good for him. I do remember Craig Heisinger stating that Rick was in good spirits and was happy to have signed with the Jets but I wonder if that was really the case

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I keep wondering whether it would have made any difference if he stayed with the Canucks organization. At the time, it seemed like the support provided by Kevin and his wife was good for him. I do remember Craig Heisinger stating that Rick was in good spirits and was happy to have signed with the Jets but I wonder if that was really the case

Rypien was very close with Heisinger and other members of the Jets' org, and turned town other multi-year offers to sign with them.

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Rypien was very close with Heisinger and other members of the Jets' org, and turned town other multi-year offers to sign with them.

Yeah, it wasn't like he went to NYC or something and got lost there without any support. He was going back to Winnipeg where he'd played for years in our farm system and had multiple people like Heisinger for support and presumably lots of friends and acquaintances.

From all the reports he just had massive levels of anxiety and depression dating back to his early teenage years and in this case I don't know that the fighting was a cause or the external circumstances were a cause other than that he really internalized any perceived failings and being under the microscope of playing professional hockey generally probably wasn't the most healthy career choice for someone with his issues. And he seemed to take the events that happened in 2010 with the fan in Minnesota especially hard and that seemed linked to what eventually happened.

This was a guy who when he was 20 paid to take out a full-page ad in a Regina newspaper apologizing for the team missing the playoffs while he was captain. He was wired in a way that made life a really difficult journey.

Reactions: Vector

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Yeah, it wasn't like he went to NYC or something and got lost there without any support. He was going back to Winnipeg where he'd played for years in our farm system and had multiple people like Heisinger for support and presumably lots of friends and acquaintances.

From all the reports he just had massive levels of anxiety and depression dating back to his early teenage years and in this case I don't know that the fighting was a cause or the external circumstances were a cause other than that he really internalized any perceived failings and being under the microscope of playing professional hockey generally probably wasn't the most healthy career choice for someone with his issues. And he seemed to take the events that happened in 2010 with the fan in Minnesota especially hard and that seemed linked to what eventually happened.

This was a guy who when he was 20 paid to take out a full-page ad in a Regina newspaper apologizing for the team missing the playoffs while he was captain. He was wired in a way that made life a really difficult journey.
You can't really ignore, or overstate, that its pretty clear that concussions cause depression that often results in suicide, and this is shown in the NHL, as well as the NFL. Rypien, having played hockey his whole life, and having fought lots during his career, undoubtedly suffered many concussions.

This is a good podcast: Burden of Proof | Revisionist History

Fighting in the NHL should be banned, The evidence is pretty clear, and we shouldn't be condoning or tacitly approving conduct that is resulting in deaths notwithstanding that it may be consensual.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
You can't really ignore, or overstate, that its pretty clear that concussions cause depression that often results in suicide, and this is shown in the NHL, as well as the NFL. Rypien, having played hockey his whole life, and having fought lots during his career, undoubtedly suffered many concussions.

Fighting in the NHL should be banned, The evidence is pretty clear, and we shouldn't be condoning or tacitly approving conduct that is resulting in deaths notwithstanding that it may be consensual.

While I don't necessarily disagree with you in general, it's a bit yucky to oversimplify someone you didn't know's mental health struggles to "it was the fighting!"

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

As noted, Rypien's severe depression/anxiety issues pre-date becoming a hockey fighter. And lots of people obviously have severe depression issues without getting into hockey fights, and I'm not going to speculate on a definite correlation in this case.

I don't think having 30 fights/year like guys did in the 1990s is good for you, obviously. I don't particularly care about any risks associated with having 3 or 4 fights/year, though.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
While I don't necessarily disagree with you in general, it's a bit yucky to oversimplify someone you didn't know's mental health struggles to "it was the fighting!"
Agreed, but that's obviously not what I did. I just said we shouldn't ignore or that we can't overstate the causal relationship between concussion, depression and suicide.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
As noted, Rypien's severe depression/anxiety issues pre-date becoming a hockey fighter.

But did it predate him getting concussions? Just playing contact hockey is likely to result in concussions, and wasn't Rick Rypien also a boxer? I think his dad was a professional boxer and I'm assuming Rick also boxed but its hard to find details of his early life.

And lots of people obviously have severe depression issues without getting into hockey fights, and I'm not going to speculate on a definite correlation in this case.
Sure, we will never know. And the whole correlation / causation issue is an interesting one and something that is debated on the podcast I shared.

But while I am not willing to draw definitive conclusions, I definitely don't think we should understate the effects of concussions.

I don't think having 30 fights/year like guys did in the 1990s is good for you, obviously. I don't particularly care about any risks associated with having 3 or 4 fights/year, though.
What do you mean you "don't care"?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What do you mean you "don't care"?

I mean I don't care.

Everything has risk. Everything kills you. You make decisions in life that affect your life. If you like having a few beers on the weekend it shortens your life. If you take up skydiving it shortens your life expectancy. And if you play contact sports - either recreationally or as a career - and it it slightly shortens your life expectancy, I don't care.

We could play women's hockey contact rules with a foam puck and foam boards and everyone would be safe. But f*** that.

Like I said, 30 fights a year probably has unacceptable risks. 3 or 4? Don't care. I find those risks acceptable.

I've also worked in the ski industry my whole life and everyone I know has had multiple concussions and has bodies held together with duct tape as we hit our 40s. And it was a decision we made, and we got paid f-all for it. So I don't have a ton of sympathy for people getting paid $5 million that might take the odd blow to the head.

I also find the whole dynamic where a person will be aghast that someone suffered a concussion in a hockey game but then turns around and pays for the next UFC PPV where the whole point is to concuss someone ... very odd.

Edit : and the other thing I'd add is that everyone had a few fights a year in in the 70s/80s/90s. But the only guys that really seem to be having much trouble are the guys who had 20 or 30 fights/year. And it's also probably exacerbated by the fact that the people who decided to get in hockey fights for a living tended to be violent, troubled people anyway.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023

No it shouldn't. It's already penalized heavily and has been decreasing big time the past couple decades. Do you leave your seat or go to another room when a fight starts?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I mean I don't care.

Everything has risk. Everything kills you. You make decisions in life that affect your life. If you like having a few beers on the weekend it shortens your life. If you take up skydiving it shortens your life expectancy. And if you play contact sports - either recreationally or as a career - and it it slightly shortens your life expectancy, I don't care.

I don't necessarily have a problem with people assuming risk if they understand the risk the are assuming, but the question is really the morality of the NHL making money off of, and whether we should support as fans, something that is suspected of killing people. And that something isn't actually an integral part of the game, and most other leagues don't have it.

We could play women's hockey contact rules with a foam puck and foam boards and everyone would be safe. But f*** that.

This isn't the alternative though. The point isn't to make the NHL as safe as possible, its to remove something that has a correlation with concussions, CTE, depression and suicide. Physical play, or hitting, exists in hockey, arguably, for a bona fide purpose. And in fact, "intent to injure" is a penalized offense. So, while there may be concussions resulting, you can at least argue that the point of hitting isn't to concuss your opponent (although don't ask Marchand that f***ing rat!). There isn't really that same bona fide purpose for fighting. Guys are literally trying to punch each other in the head.

Like I said, 30 fights a year probably has unacceptable risks. 3 or 4? Don't care. I find those risks acceptable.
In the circumstances, I can't see how they are acceptable. But personally, I don't really care for fighting and don't want to see people intentionally punch each other in the heads knowing what I know about the consequences of concussions, depression and suicide. Like, 3 or 4 fights a year, for a guy that plays 10 plus years in the NHL? That's a lot of potential concussions.

I've also worked in the ski industry my whole life and everyone I know has had multiple concussions and has bodies held together with duct tape as we hit our 40s. And it was a decision we made, and we got paid f-all for it. So I don't have a ton of sympathy for people getting paid $5 million that might take the odd blow to the head.

Again, it isn't about the assumption of risk for me, assuming those people know the risks. I just personally don't like being a fan of something that's unnecessarily killing people.

I also find the whole dynamic where a person will be aghast that someone suffered a concussion in a hockey game but then turns around and pays for the next UFC PPV where the whole point is to concuss someone ... very odd.

I mean, I find UFC super brutal and have never gotten the appeal of it. B

Edit : and the other thing I'd add is that everyone had a few fights a year in in the 70s/80s/90s. But the only guys that really seem to be having much trouble are the guys who had 20 or 30 fights/year. And it's also probably exacerbated by the fact that the people who decided to get in hockey fights for a living tended to be violent, troubled people anyway.
If you listen to the podcast I shared you will see that the subject of it was a NCAA football player that, IIRC, committed suicide and there was evidence of CTE. So, I think its pretty clear that you don't necessarily have to have tons of years of fighting for you to suffer CTE.

Do you leave your seat or go to another room when a fight starts?
I may very well find it interesting to watch you get executed by the guillotine but that doesn't mean its right.

Like, people used to go to the Coliseum and watch gladiators get killed regularly for their entertainment. And even as recently as 19th century (and probably even the 20th) I think people were watching public executions.

The fact that people are entertaining by things doesn't mean that they are right.

Attachments

• 1726182631139.png
    1726182631139.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 1

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I mean I don't care.

Ya at the end of the day it's assumption of risks. With players from an older generation, I get that they didn't fully understood the risks. I'm guessing prior to people really learning about CTE, team doctors didn't typically tell players they shouldn't go out there if they took a blow to the head and not 100%? The question is whether players who are living with the after-effects of their hockey playing career would have had it any other way. Would Boogaard or Belak not fight? 100% they wouldn't have been in the NHL. Of course the discussion isn't even a simple as hits to the head or fighting. It's the pain killers and other addictions that go along with it. You also have players dealing with the end of their playing careers. It can be a tough transition. And the reality is that players who do get punched for a living didn't just decide that's what they needed to do to earn a living. They likely fought for pleasure.

There are legitimate discussion to be had. Parents should consider the health risks before enrolling their kids in football, soccer, and hockey etc. Heck, a lot of parents are enrolling their kids in martial arts such as Taekwando and there are risks to that too. Do we know that there's zero risks to the head if we're just punching and kicking a punching bag?

At the end of the day this is a business too. Are people going to watch flag football if NFL or college eliminates hitting? Same with hockey. I think with the way things are trending, the NHL probably can eliminate fighting without much impact to the bottom line. I don't think they can eliminate hitting altogether.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Ya at the end of the day it's assumption of risks. With players from an older generation, I get that they didn't fully understood the risks. I'm guessing prior to people really learning about CTE, team doctors didn't typically tell players they shouldn't go out there if they took a blow to the head and not 100%? The question is whether players who are living with the after-effects of their hockey playing career would have had it any other way. Would Boogaard or Belak not fight? 100% they wouldn't have been in the NHL. Of course the discussion isn't even a simple as hits to the head or fighting. It's the pain killers and other addictions that go along with it. You also have players dealing with the end of their playing careers. It can be a tough transition. And the reality is that players who do get punched for a living didn't just decide that's what they needed to do to earn a living. They likely fought for pleasure.

There are legitimate discussion to be had. Parents should consider the health risks before enrolling their kids in football, soccer, and hockey etc. Heck, a lot of parents are enrolling their kids in martial arts such as Taekwando and there are risks to that too. Do we know that there's zero risks to the head if we're just punching and kicking a punching bag?

At the end of the day this is a business too. Are people going to watch flag football if NFL or college eliminates hitting? Same with hockey. I think with the way things are trending, the NHL probably can eliminate fighting without much impact to the bottom line. I don't think they can eliminate hitting altogether.

Are you kidding?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad