Proposal: Reimer and Middleton to TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sounds like we should just take Reimer out of it and trade them Middleton for Mrazek, a 1st, and a 2nd.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Accurate. 3.8 mil for 2 more years of .884 goaltending? I'd want something nice to take him if I'm a GM. People have been telling us they'd want a first to take on Kassian, who's cheaper and easier to hide.
Problem with that train of thought is there are hundreds of bottom 6 wingers to choose from. On the other hand not very many NHL goalies with Mrazeks track record as a good 1b option in net. Hes has been terrible as a leaf but its only been 15 to 20 games. A team will take a shot at him and the leafs will have to pay somthing but it won't be a 1st.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Middleton isn't an upgrade on what we have. Why the hell would we trade for him?
Middleton is the Sharks' best defensive defenseman, by a country mile. He doesn't do much that's flashy, but he's always in position, always making the smart and simple play, and is plenty physical.

Any contending team that needs defensive depth should be in on him.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Middleton is the Sharks' best defensive defenseman, by a country mile. He doesn't do much that's flashy, but he's always in position, always making the smart and simple play, and is plenty physical.

Any contending team that needs defensive depth should be in on him.
He also has concussion issues and can become a ufa next season if he doesn't meet the required games played threshold. Hes worth a 2nd + a decent prospect no more no less.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The way Mrazek is going, it'll take more than a 2nd to dump him.

Two more years at $3.8M. Ouch! Worse back-up goalie contract in the NHL and in the next two years, it's still a flat salary cap. Dubas is not escaping that one very easily. Remember when some fans were saying it would not be difficult to move Marleau?

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Accurate. 3.8 mil for 2 more years of .884 goaltending? I'd want something nice to take him if I'm a GM. People have been telling us they'd want a first to take on Kassian, who's cheaper and easier to hide.

Agreed. There is no way to spin this. Mrazek is the worse back-up goalie contract in the NHL. Any GM that Dubas talks to where he is trying to unload that contract will require deeper futures.

$3.8M for two more years during flat cap years? Not a good time to move a negative contract IMO. Even if another GM has hope in Mrazek rebounding, he's not going to admit it in the open. He's going to try to take advantage of it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Problem with that train of thought is there are hundreds of bottom 6 wingers to choose from. On the other hand not very many NHL goalies with Mrazeks track record as a good 1b option in net. Hes has been terrible as a leaf but its only been 15 to 20 games. A team will take a shot at him and the leafs will have to pay somthing but it won't be a 1st.
Thing is, Kassian has stretches where he looks effective and is somehow having one of his best P/60 seasons ever, plus GM’s will always have time for “toughness”. When you only have two goalie roster spots and one of them is damned near unplayable right now, that’s a tougher sell

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Thing is, Kassian has stretches where he looks effective and is somehow having one of his best P/60 seasons ever, plus GM’s will always have time for “toughness”. When you only have two goalie roster spots and one of them is damned near unplayable right now, that’s a tougher sell
A bad 20 games isn't career ending and doesn't make a contract an albatross. Leafs will still have to pay to dump it but not a 1st. Koskinen if traded for instance wouldn't even be considered a dump, just a cost of doing business.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
A bad 20 games isn't career ending and doesn't make a contract an albatross. Leafs will still have to pay to dump it but not a 1st. Koskinen if traded for instance wouldn't even be considered a dump, just a cost of doing business.

Koskinen has 22 wins on the year and an expiring contract, though. He’d actually have positive value right now, I bet.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Literally has nothing to do with the historically low prices for Goalies at the TDL. Whereas teams have historically always overpaid for Dmen in comparison.
That’s certainly true. However, in all seriousness, I would suspect that any GM worth his salt will hold Toronto’s feet to the fire just based on the fact that they have such a heavy need to fix both their D and G situation going into playoffs. Certainly how I’d play it.

Reactions: themelkman

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
If Dubas has any problem convincing a team to take on Mrazek's contract he should just point out how well past Leafs goalies have done once they left the team. No, Dubas should not have to give away picks/prospects to dump Mrazek, he should be asking for them.

Pass me whatever you're smoking - sounds elite o_O

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad