Proposal: Reimer and Middleton to TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
To TOR
James Reimer
Jacob Middleton

To SJS
2023 1st round pick (top 10 protected)
2022 2nd round pick
Petr Mrazek

Pierre LeBrun just reported that the Leafs are interested in Jacob Middleton and James Reimer. Mrazek's cap hit is greater than Reimer+Middleton combined so this actually saves the Leafs money allowing them to make another move.

I figure dumping 2.25 years of Mrazek at 3.8M is worth a high 2nd while Middleton and Reimer are each worth a late 2nd. High 2nd+late 2nd can usually get you into the late 1st round so the price seems about right.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
To TOR
James Reimer
Jacob Middleton

To SJS
2023 1st round pick (top 10 protected)
2022 2nd round pick
Petr Mrazek

Pierre LeBrun just reported that the Leafs are interested in Jacob Middleton and James Reimer. Mrazek's cap hit is greater than Reimer+Middleton combined so this actually saves the Leafs money allowing them to make another move.

I figure dumping 2.25 years of Mrazek at 3.8M is worth a high 2nd while Middleton and Reimer are each worth a late 2nd. High 2nd+late 2nd can usually get you into the late 1st round so the price seems about right.
It was only a matter of time before we heard the name Reimer thrown into a rumor.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I highly, highly doubt that the Leafs go 1-2 picks for Reimer and Middleton.

I also don't see why they would trade their 1st round pick next year, when they still have their 1st rounder this year. Generally speaking, picks get pushed to the following year if a team doesn't have it, or if you're trading multiple picks so that you don't clear out a single draft class.

That being said, I think a more logical trade would be something along the lines of:

To Toronto:
James Reimer
Jacob Middleton
edit: SJ 4th round Pick 2022

To San Jose
2022 1st Rounder
Petr Mrazek
Travis Dermott

Last edited:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I highly, highly doubt that the Leafs go 1-2 picks for Reimer and Middleton.

I also don't see why they would trade their 1st round pick next year, when they still have their 1st rounder this year. Generally speaking, picks get pushed to the following year if a team doesn't have it, or if you're trading multiple picks so that you don't clear out a single draft class.

That being said, I think a more logical trade would be something along the lines of:

To Toronto:
James Reimer
Jacob Middleton

To San Jose
2022 1st Rounder
Petr Mrazek
Travis Dermott

That works for me. I would rather have the 23 1st rounder because the draft class looks better but since it's gonna be a late 1st anyway I guess it doesn't really make a difference.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Lol. Pass.

The player of value is one we don't need while identifying nicely one of the few decent goal options we'd never consider.

Pretty big fail.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
If the leafs trade for a goalie they need to trade for a legit #1, just like Edmonton. That's easier said than done though. At the same time, having Reimer and Campbell would atleast give them the option of two guys who are capable of starting, and Reimer would still be signed next season at a reasonable cap hit that would still allow them to go after a #1 in the offseason.

As both a sharks fan, and someone who lives in ontario and watches the leafs, I think Middleton is a nice, cheap fit for them.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Does Middleton have any experience on the right side?

Middleton would be fine until Muzzin got back, but if he can't make the switch then he is a likely scratch.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If Dubas has any problem convincing a team to take on Mrazek's contract he should just point out how well past Leafs goalies have done once they left the team. No, Dubas should not have to give away picks/prospects to dump Mrazek, he should be asking for them.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
We'll trade SJ back their 4th rounder for Reimer...weird how we barely got anything for him in a trade when he had a .918% on a bad Leafs team, and teams all want 1st or 2nd rounder for goalies with .900% (Fluery, Allen, etc)
You got 2 2nds for Roman Polak, so not much to complain about.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
If the leafs trade for a goalie they need to trade for a legit #1, just like Edmonton. That's easier said than done though. At the same time, having Reimer and Campbell would atleast give them the option of two guys who are capable of starting, and Reimer would still be signed next season at a reasonable cap hit that would still allow them to go after a #1 in the offseason.

As both a sharks fan, and someone who lives in ontario and watches the leafs, I think Middleton is a nice, cheap fit for them.
How cheap?:D

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The way Mrazek is going, it'll take more than a 2nd to dump him.

Accurate. 3.8 mil for 2 more years of .884 goaltending? I'd want something nice to take him if I'm a GM. People have been telling us they'd want a first to take on Kassian, who's cheaper and easier to hide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad