Proposal: Reilly Smith to Detroit

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Not sure anybody gonna want Leddy anymore, he's been pretty brutal especially of late

He played Top 4 minutes on a team that went deep just last year. NHL organizations probably will just chalk it up to a bad fit for whatever reason rather than a 30 year old falling off a cliff all of a sudden.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
He played Top 4 minutes on a team that went deep just last year. NHL organizations probably will just chalk it up to a bad fit for whatever reason rather than a 30 year old falling off a cliff all of a sudden.

Hope so, felt like a guarantee not too long ago but just dunno what he's really gonna provide for a contender watching him the past couple months. He's almost at liability status defensively, he can transport the puck alright but doesn't do much of anything inside the OZ. Maybe a 6/7 depth D on a contender

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
For an expiring UFA on a 5 million dollar contract that they're unwilling to retain on? I think they are. There's no contender who's going to look at that and say, "I have 5 million dollars to spend, Duckworth, fetch me my rolodex! I must acquire pending UFA Reilly Smith!"

But even so, Yzerman could trade a 3rd for Smith and get a 2nd+ on the retention trade, so it wouldn't be the end of the world. It would still be a net gain.

How many times have we heard that, only for people to be dead wrong?

They didn't have to pay to move a 7m MAF, they got good value for Miller, decent value for Haula etc. Moving the Clarkson contract only cost them a mid round pick. Same thing with the Lightning. 'Cap hell' is just a sensationalist fantasy that only happens in very specific cases like a Marleau with a full NMC.

On top of that, the value of a pending UFA like Smith is at its highest.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
How many times have we heard that, only for people to be dead wrong?

They didn't have to pay to move a 7m MAF, they got good value for Miller, decent value for Haula etc. Moving the Clarkson contract only cost them a mid round pick. Same thing with the Lightning. 'Cap hell' is just a sensationalist fantasy that only happens in very specific cases like a Marleau with a full NMC.

On top of that, the value of a pending UFA like Smith is at its highest.

Smith has been tied to the NYR'S who happen to have a boat load of cap space this year.

They can absolutely take Smith w/o retention.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
For an expiring UFA on a 5 million dollar contract that they're unwilling to retain on? I think they are. There's no contender who's going to look at that and say, "I have 5 million dollars to spend, Duckworth, fetch me my rolodex! I must acquire pending UFA Reilly Smith!"

But even so, Yzerman could trade a 3rd for Smith and get a 2nd+ on the retention trade, so it wouldn't be the end of the world. It would still be a net gain.

I think quite a few bubbles teams would be interested. I think CGY would be interested. NYR likely, even the Ducks etc if the price is right. He has positive value and could return ad 2nd/b+ prospect if the bidding allows

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i don't see DRW acquiring rentals this season,
they are 1 game under .500, while next best 2 teams in Conference are +12 games over

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
a pass through deal like the one suggested in the OP makes a ton of sense for Edmonton as well, adding Kane and Smith to their wings for a stretch/playoff run makes them a much better team.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
i don't see DRW acquiring rentals this season,
they are 1 game under .500, while next best 2 teams in Conference are +12 games over

This acronym ruined my entire day. Thank you for that good sir

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
m-maybe...but he's MUCH better now.:naughty:

That got a chuckle.

I'm hesitant to include Kravtsov for a rental. I get that there are other components, but RD is a strength, so Coghlan would be a bit redundant. N. Patrick I'm iffy on.

I'd probably look to simplify it. Gauthier (50%) and a 3rd for Smith.

You get a 3rd 4th line depth player and significant salary relief.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad