Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith (PIT) to NYR for a 2nd rounder + 5th

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Drury has made missteps but he did inherit those two terrible mistake contracts that were most likely forced on his former boss by JD.
He also was left the mess by JD again when the team failed to move Kreider, DeAngelo, Fast and Georgiev at the play-in TDL even though the night before the trade deadline Buch and Igor were in a car accident in Brooklyn that sidelined them.
Hey, everyone, this guy wishes we didn't get a 52g season from Kreider in a Rangers sweater!

Joking aside, JG & JD did some good things, but it blew up on them. Drury has been atoning for the Buch trade his entire tenure. He's done a pretty good job since that original sin of his first offseason, but if he doesn't win a cup here, then it will always follow him around.

We made an ECF twice, and fizzled out once. That's not a bad three year stretch. With an upgrade on D and one Rookie landing up front, we should be in that final four conversation still.

We can poo poo all the moves made today and at the draft. But somebody is winning the Cup next summer and it's not the Rangers.
"Twelve hours into the offseason, and the season's over."

That's a loser's mentality. I'd rather let the second day of the offseason play out, and then the third, the fourth, etc. No team is a finished product, and with an upgrade on D, we're in the conversation for sure. I'm optimistic.

Imagine boiling it down to 1/82 of that statement. "Someone's winning tonight and it's not us." I can't imagine living like that.

Dude. The summer just started.
"You can't defeat me, I forfeit."

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Maybe this means Kakko is on the move. I don’t see what this does for us.
I'm not saying Kakko isn't going to be traded, but one would imagine that this was a type of trade he could've been used for. It would have been poor value IMO, but if the Rangers were desperate to use him as a tradechip, why not here?

Like I said, kinda shows again that they are willing to go into the season with Kakko, unless you can use him in a value trade.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
How many assets have the rangers wasted trying to replace Buch? Up to 2 1sts, 3 or 4 2nds at the bare minimum.

People complain about us harping on it, but it’s the gift that won’t stop giving. So much of where we are stems from THAT move and our inability to solve that issue.

In fairness… Kakko (and Kravtsov) too. If they were both playing as top 6 wingers we’d be in business.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I'm not saying Kakko isn't going to be traded, but one would imagine that this was a type of trade he could've been used for. It would have been poor value IMO, but if the Rangers were desperate to use him as a tradechip, why not here?

Like I said, kinda shows again that they are willing to go into the season with Kakko, unless you can use him in a value trade.
You can’t get rid of Kakko at this juncture.

Unless it’s for a clear high upside swap like Zegras.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
He got to the ECF twice and if his draft picks are better than Gorton and Bobrov's, what's to hate on?
This is what Drury has traded away since becoming GM. I only included the trades where picks were involved, which was most of them anyway. The rest were very minor deals.

2nd (Reilly Smith)
5th (Reilly Smith)
4th (Trade up for Boilard)
7th (Trade up for Boilard)
4th (Roslovic)
4th (Ruhwedel)
2nd (Wennberg)
4th (Wennberg)
3rd (Trade up for Fortescue)
7th (Trade up for Fortescue)
Grubbe (Trade for a 5th to pick Larsson)
2nd (Kane)
3rd (Kane)
4th (Kane)
Kravtsov (Traded for a 2026 7th and Will Lockwood)
Gauthier (Motte)
7th (Motte)
1st (Tarasenko and Mikkola)
3rd (Tarasenko and Mikkola)
Blais (Tarasenko and Mikkola)
Skinner (Tarasenko and Mikkola)
Reaves (Traded for a 2025 5th)
Lundkvist (Traded for a 1st and 4th, both of which we wasted on rentals)
2nd (Dumping Nemeth, who Drury signed as a UFA the year before)
2nd (Dumping Nemeth)
Georgiev (Got back two 3rds and a 5th)
4th (Motte)
Barron (Copp)
1st (Copp)
2nd (Copp)
5th (Copp)
3rd (Braun)
4th (Vatrano)
3rd (Reaves)
3rd (Trade up for Korczak)
6th (Trade up for Korczak)
Buchnevich (Traded for Blais and a 2nd)
Howden (Nick DeSimone and a 4th that became Laba)
7th (Goodrow's rights)

To sum that up, we traded away:

1st round picks: 2
2nd round picks: 6
3rd round picks: 6
4th round picks: 7
5th round picks: 2
6th round picks: 1
7th round picks: 4
Prospects/players: Grubbe, Kravtsov, Gauthier, Blais, Skinner, Lundkvist, Georgiev, Barron, Buchnevich, Howden

This is what we currently have in the organization as a result of all those trades:

Reilly Smith
4th (Boilard)
3rd (Fortescue)
5th (Larsson)
7th (2026)
5th (2025)
3rd (McConnell-Barker)
5th (Barbashev)
6th (Roobroeck)
3rd (Korczak)
4th (Laba)

If Smith has a good year, we won't be able to afford him. If he has a poor year, we won't want him. So, either way, it seems a foregone conclusion that he won't be on the team in 2025-26.

Barbashev might get an AHL contract if he earns one in development camp. The 2025 5th and 2026 7th are likely to be traded for rentals, given Drury's track record, but even if not, they aren't likely to produce NHL players.

For the rest, there are varying measures of hope, but the sum total is insignificant compared to what we gave up.

This isn't a sustainable strategy. Drury has pissed away assets and has nothing to show for it. We literally have 1 NHL player today as a result of all his moves, and that player won't be around for long.

Drury's drafting looks good on paper, but of the players he has drafted, we have a sum total of 3 NHL games (Othmann). Granted, it is early yet, but the 2020 draft (Gorton's last) has produced 606 games and counting. The team's success has been built on the back of Gorton's efforts. The only player Drury deserves credit for is Trocheck, but at best, that only makes up for his screw up with Buchnevich.

Drury hired Gallant and fired him 2 years later. He let Knoblauch get away. What exactly has he done to build this team? How does he deserve credit for the team's recent success?

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You can’t get rid of Kakko at this juncture.

Unless it’s for a clear high upside swap like Zegras.
I would tend to believe that if Kakko is traded now, the deal involves a defender coming back.

I don't think they are trading for a top-6 forward at this point. It's either going to be Smith, or they are signing Tarasenko and at that point Kakko is out of a job, so they would try to land a D.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
How many assets have the rangers wasted trying to replace Buch? Up to 2 1sts, 3 or 4 2nds at the bare minimum.

We'd still be Cupless with Buchy

Drury can't win with some of you guys. This was a solid move and makes the team better. Did any of you guys see what some players got today in term and dollars? It was insane. I'm glad we weren't one of those teams paying insane prices.

How many draft picks will be traded by other teams to get out of the horrendous contracts they signed yesterday?

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
In a vacuum he’s a solid player

If they think he’s going to help Zibs… they’re lost. Zibs can only help Zibs.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Sounds like a mature professional leader.

Most mundane, nothing of a GM just like he was as a player. Completely afraid to take any risk to put this team over the top. He's blowing this core's windows. Just admit they can't win and sell. Stop with the bare minimum effort. He did nothing to improve this team. This summer was a pivitol summer for this team and he did absolutely nothing but waste another 2nd round pick and whatever cap space he created by stabbing Goodrow in the back and I don't even think Goodrow was good. Then he pulls the stunt with Trouba and doesn't even see it through, all he did was create a cess pool of drama about it.

For all the BS Sather got, at least he took chances to make the team better.

This team isn't winning with Drury around.
Shesty 28

The main guts of this team is 26 and under.
They will be pretty competitive for the next 5-6 seasons…
It’s not just a 2 year win now or blow it up team.
Zibby will likely continue to run hot and cold given the year… but we’re stuck with him here for a while…
Even if trochek slows down in 2 years, he’ll be a solid 2/B 3C
Those 2 along with Kreider will likely be the last of the vets after next year…

When NY targets their guy in FA, 99.999% of the time they get their target. Players love NY/org

I have no doubt with cap going up and Panarin/Trouba coming off the books, they’ll make a splash.
They are icing a similar team that won the pres trophy last season.
Do I think they repeat? No…
Are they still in the upper echelon of the East? Yes…..
Even if they lose in the playoffs the next 2 seasons, that’s a ton of experience for these young guys to go along with what they’ve been thru already……
Panarin-Trochek-Laffy
Kreider-Zibby-smith/cuylle/Berard/othmann
-/Cuylle/berard-Chytil-kakko
Edstrom-Carrick-Rempe/vesey

Is a legit deep playoff squad….
Jones pm abilities should improve the attack. He’s just smarter and a better passer then Gus.

The team is going to looks very similar.
Smith giving you a 40-50 pts as a Swiss Army knife around the top 9 for 3.6 mill instead of 1 pt from Goodrow is a win.
Kakko/Edstrom should try to replace his PK void.
Kreider will likely give usual 30-40 goals 60-70 pts
Mika is the wildcard. Do we get 90 pt Mika who’s a force? Or 70pt meh mika?
Panarin will put up 90-100pts
Laf and Cuylle will be better
Schneider/ miller as well
Carrick is mainly a wash for Goodie at a fraction of the price……
The other wildcard is the contribution of the kids on the line up.
Edstrom/Jones and 1 of Berard/Othmann need to be positive contributors.
Fox staying healthy and Lindgren returning to defensive competency is also crucial

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Hey, everyone, this guy wishes we didn't get a 52g season from Kreider in a Rangers sweater!

Joking aside, JG & JD did some good things, but it blew up on them. Drury has been atoning for the Buch trade his entire tenure. He's done a pretty good job since that original sin of his first offseason, but if he doesn't win a cup here, then it will always follow him around.

We made an ECF twice, and fizzled out once. That's not a bad three year stretch. With an upgrade on D and one Rookie landing up front, we should be in that final four conversation still.

"Twelve hours into the offseason, and the season's over."

That's a loser's mentality. I'd rather let the second day of the offseason play out, and then the third, the fourth, etc. No team is a finished product, and with an upgrade on D, we're in the conversation for sure. I'm optimistic.

Imagine boiling it down to 1/82 of that statement. "Someone's winning tonight and it's not us." I can't imagine living like that.

"You can't defeat me, I forfeit."
If I’ve posted it once , I’ve posted it at four times.
Kreider was a UFA.
He could have been traded to Dallas for the 1st and Robertson and still then be resigned on July 1st.
It’s called eating your cake and having it too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kendo

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
This is what Drury has traded away since becoming GM. I only included the trades where picks were involved, which was most of them anyway. The rest were very minor deals.

2nd (Reilly Smith)
5th (Reilly Smith)
4th (Roslovic)
4th (Ruhwedel)
2nd (Wennberg)
4th (Wennberg)
2nd (Kane)
3rd (Kane)
4th (Kane)
Gauthier (Motte)
7th (Motte)
2nd (Dumping Nemeth)
4th (Motte)
Barron (Copp)
1st (Copp)
2nd (Copp)
5th (Copp)
3rd (Braun)
4th (Vatrano)
3rd (Reaves)
7th (Goodrow's rights)

Prospects/players: Grubbe, Kravtsov, Gauthier, Blais, Skinner, Lundkvist, Georgiev, Barron, Buchnevich, Howden

This is what we currently have in the organization as a result of all those trades:

Reilly Smith
4th (Boilard)
3rd (Fortescue)
5th (Larsson)
7th (2026)
5th (2025)
3rd (McConnell-Barker)
5th (Barbashev)
6th (Roobroeck)
3rd (Korczak)
4th (Laba)

If Smith has a good year, we won't be able to afford him. If he has a poor year, we won't want him. So, either way, it seems a foregone conclusion that he won't be on the team in 2025-26.

Barbashev might get an AHL contract if he earns one in development camp. The 2025 5th and 2026 7th are likely to be traded for rentals, given Drury's track record, but even if not, they aren't likely to produce NHL players.

For the rest, there are varying measures of hope, but the sum total is insignificant compared to what we gave up.

This isn't a sustainable strategy. Drury has pissed away assets and has nothing to show for it. We literally have 1 NHL player today as a result of all his moves, and that player won't be around for long.

Drury's drafting looks good on paper, but of the players he has drafted, we have a sum total of 3 NHL games (Othmann). Granted, it is early yet, but the 2020 draft (Gorton's last) has produced 606 games and counting. The team's success has been built on the back of Gorton's efforts. The only player Drury deserves credit for is Trocheck, but at best, that only makes up for his screw up with Buchnevich.

Drury hired Gallant and fired him 2 years later. He let Knoblauch get away. What exactly has he done to build this team? How does he deserve credit for the team's recent success?
Signed Gus
Signed wheeler
Might not like Goodrow, but he was a large part of changing the teams culture.
The big club and the Farm both have players that play a harder Game.
Panarin was a lay up. He wanted to go nowhere else and leveraged going to the isles to squeeze out every dollar from Gorts.

gorts did a lot of good things here, but also a lot of bad.
I’m not sure comparing both of their tenures is fair.
Gorton had a playoff team and solid assets here. He was given the go on a rebuild/retool……
Drury didn’t step in on day 1 have McDonaugh, Zucc, and other players to sell.
He told the job when the team was supposed to be a perennial playoff power with 2 young cost controlled can’t miss guys in Laf/kakko.

The moves Drury has made have made the team harder to play against. There were some head scratchers. Nemeth being 1.
Gallant was hired to replace Quinn. ( which was at least better) Lavi replaced gallant, which is better as well.
With all those moves/trades you listed above, we still added Laba/fortescue to the stable ( most notable of the group) and didn’t give up a whole host of a lot for 2 ECF appearances.
They also should have beat the devils but that’s for another discussion.
Drury hasn’t dealt a bunch of 1st, trying to go all in every season. He still feels we’re a step below and it’s obvious in the moves he’s made/hasn’t made.
The true test is going to be when Panarin is gone, Trouba is gone.
Those are the main hold overs taking up tons of cap space and are almost impossible to trade……
That’s when he’ll be judged.
He’ll truly have the team he has his stamp on…..
Well either win, or head for another retool.
To me, the worst thing he did wasn’t adding Kakko in a deal for Eichel.
That basically changed the entire blueprint of the team.
He would have cost a lot, but they would have got a lot back from moving Zibby at the time.
Eichel being signed and 5 years younger was worth the risk, even with the injury

2nd (Reilly Smith)
5th (Reilly Smith)
4th (Roslovic)
4th (Ruhwedel)
2nd (Wennberg)
4th (Wennberg)
2nd (Kane)
3rd (Kane)
4th (Kane)
Gauthier (Motte)
7th (Motte)
2nd (Dumping Nemeth)
4th (Motte)
Barron (Copp)
1st (Copp)
2nd (Copp)
5th (Copp)
3rd (Braun)
4th (Vatrano)
3rd (Reaves)
7th (Goodrow's rights)

Reilly Smith
4th (Boilard)
3rd (Fortescue)
5th (Larsson)
7th (2026)
5th (2025)
3rd (McConnell-Barker)
5th (Barbashev)
6th (Roobroeck)
3rd (Korczak)
4th (Laba)

Last edited:

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I think he's going to have a career year playing with Mika and Kreider.
I think he's going to have a year within his career playing with them.

I think there is something to be said for not panicking and doing anything drastic to a team that reached the ECF 2 out of the last 3 years.

But I also think if the team continues to be a contender throughout the season, it's time to get agressive at the TDL if signing a major player this offseason or doing a big trade isn't happening.

It's clear that this team is missing a piece that they need to win it all.

• Haha
Reactions: will1066

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
We'd still be Cupless with Buchy
lol what is the point of saying this. you have no clue if this is true or not. there's no way to know. it's this type of "justification" of the buch trade that's so wild to me and makes it clear that we need to continue to beat the dead horse.

you don't judge results, you judge process. The process was bad - the idea was bad and the execution was abysmal.

@GAGLine i think you counted Copp return incorrectly. didn't the 2nd turn into a 1st? youre calculating one of each

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
@GAGLine i think you counted Copp return incorrectly. didn't the 2nd turn into a 1st? youre calculating one of each
1719933200988.png

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
People get so hung up on a 2027 2nd rounder. That player won't even make the NHL until 2030 and the odds are against that as well. We could all be dead by then. Smith is a good player who was unhappy in Pittsburgh. A swiss army knife type player who goes to the net and scores 40-50 points and who didn't cost any prospects. It's a good deal. This team's forward group is going to be deep especially if Chytil is healthy and Kakko has a better year. Not to mention Berard, Othmann, Rempe, and Edstrom pushing for spots.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
People get so hung up on a 2027 2nd rounder. That player won't even make the NHL until 2030 and the odds are against that as well. We could all be dead by then. Smith is a good player who was unhappy in Pittsburgh. A swiss army knife type player who goes to the net and scores 40-50 points and who didn't cost any prospects. It's a good deal. This team's forward group is going to be deep especially if Chytil is healthy and Kakko has a better year. Not to mention Berard, Othmann, Rempe, and Edstrom pushing for spots.

All true. Too bad the defense blows

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
All true. Too bad the defense blows
It's the weak spot for sure but a healthy Fox, Jones getting a shot, and Trouba(if he is back) also being healthy and playing 3rd pairing minutes is not really that bad. People forget that both Fox and Trouba were playing on 1 leg in the playoffs. There is also the possibility that they can still work a deal to upgrade. It's early.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
it's not about the one 2027 2nd round pick. It's about we don't have a 2nd until 2028, and have only had 1 in the past 3 years. the pattern.

wild that this has to be explained!

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
it's not about the one 2027 2nd round pick. It's about we don't have a 2nd until 2028, and have only had 1 in the past 3 years. the pattern.

wild that this has to be explained!
Yes, but it's about making the team better now. Smith is an NHL player. This particular trade was fine and not an overpay. They have a pretty decent prospect pool and not everybody is going to make the team. They always have ways of gaining more picks in future years when the window is shut. I'm not worried.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
It's the weak spot for sure but a healthy Fox, Jones getting a shot, and Trouba(if he is back) also being healthy and playing 3rd pairing minutes is not really that bad. People forget that both Fox and Trouba were playing on 1 leg in the playoffs. There is also the possibility that they can still work a deal to upgrade. It's early.

They are locked into Lindgren on Fox's pair. That's the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad