Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith (PIT) to NYR for a 2nd rounder + 5th

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Drury has made missteps but he did inherit those two terrible mistake contracts that were most likely forced on his former boss by JD.
He also was left the mess by JD again when the team failed to move Kreider, DeAngelo, Fast and Georgiev at the play-in TDL even though the night before the trade deadline Buch and Igor were in a car accident in Brooklyn that sidelined them.

Reactions: McRanger92

and 99 others

i enjoy watching hockey
Jul 27, 2011
32 out of 40 points even strength playing with Malkin/Drew O’Connor/Puustinen (????) on a bad penguins team. Welcome to the first line Reilly

Reactions: Synergy27

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
In the end it's a good addition but unless the defense is fixed a solid winger is not moving the needle too much.

Getting the puck out of the zone should be the focus of the off-season

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
Drury can't win with some of you guys. This was a solid move and makes the team better. Did any of you guys see what some players got today in term and dollars? It was insane. I'm glad we weren't one of those teams paying insane prices.
I think most of us are just sour because this is another aging vet being thrown on to fix the unfixable Kreider-Zibanejad line

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
All he did was sulk to the media about how he didn't want to be there and was unhappy all year while barley half assing, and firing piss gernade muffin shots on goal.
Sounds like a mature professional leader.

Most mundane, nothing of a GM just like he was as a player. Completely afraid to take any risk to put this team over the top. He's blowing this core's windows. Just admit they can't win and sell. Stop with the bare minimum effort. He did nothing to improve this team. This summer was a pivitol summer for this team and he did absolutely nothing but waste another 2nd round pick and whatever cap space he created by stabbing Goodrow in the back and I don't even think Goodrow was good. Then he pulls the stunt with Trouba and doesn't even see it through, all he did was create a cess pool of drama about it.

For all the BS Sather got, at least he took chances to make the team better.

This team isn't winning with Drury around.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Penguins fans appeared to be thrilled to get rid of him...
He's not bad he's just turned out to be not what we needed. His streaky goal scoring didn't show up after the first month and there was a lot of chatter that he was sulking about being dealt all year - and that sort checked out with how disengaged he looked a lot of time out there. With that said, both he and Malkin looked better after the trade deadline when they were separated and Smith played with Eller. Maybe the fit just wasn't there.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017

Most mundane, nothing of a GM just like he was as a player. Completely afraid to take any risk to put this team over the top. He's blowing this core's windows. Just admit they can't win and sell. Stop with the bare minimum effort. He did nothing to improve this team. This summer was a pivitol summer for this team and he did absolutely nothing but waste another 2nd round pick and whatever cap space he created by stabbing Goodrow in the back and I don't even think Goodrow was good. Then he pulls the stunt with Trouba and doesn't even see it through, all he did was create a cess pool of drama about it.

Just curious what you think he should have done?

Trade Igor before he's up for a new contract, keep Goodrow and Trouba happy?

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Reilly Smith is like a fine wine that gets better with age:
Traded in 2017 for a 4th.
Traded in 2023 for a 3rd
Traded in 2024 for a 2nd and a conditional 5th.
Maybe Drury can trade him at the TDL for a 1st.
3D Chess
After Kakko, Othmann and Berard all break out.

Yes…. Yes….

Reactions: Kendo

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Just curious what you think he should have done?

Trade Igor before he's up for a new contract, keep Goodrow and Trouba happy?
Get creative and make the team better.

FLA traded a 100 point F and their best D for a crazy F and they went to back-to-back SCF and won a Cup.

Or, do we really think Reilly Smith, who couldn't be bothered to try in PIT because somehow playing with HOFers like Crosby and Malkin and Latang just didn't "do it" for him, we think that guy is the answer, the missing piece to a Cup?

Drury has an infinite amount of options if he had the mental acuity to be creative at all. There are players all around the league that teams would move if the situation fit. He hasn't tried a thing, sat on his hands, and ended up going with this because he got embarrassed and passed by every other aggressive GM in the league.

Watch the deadline video of John Davidson laughing at Drury because of how stupid he was for trading for Roslovic.

We can poo poo all the moves made today and at the draft. But somebody is winning the Cup next summer and it's not the Rangers. One of those teams that paid a price to make their team better is winning the Cup. This team isn't winning the Cup this way.

The instant this idiot prioritized signing Carrick in the opening minutes of free agency we knew it was going to be the same dumpster diving, lazy, unimaginative BS Drury always does. That's why I was annoyed with it right away. Because instead of spending his time usefully, he wastes his time on a player NOBODY in the league wanted and outbid himself wasting time and cap. Meanwhile other GMs were working on making their teams better.

Drury sucks and he's dragging this franchise down.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Drury has made missteps but he did inherit those two terrible mistake contracts that were most likely forced on his former boss by JD.
He also was left the mess by JD again when the team failed to move Kreider, DeAngelo, Fast and Georgiev at the play-in TDL even though the night before the trade deadline Buch and Igor were in a car accident in Brooklyn that sidelined them.
The only thing saving Drury right now are the things he inherited.

The only decent thing he did since becoming GM was signing Trocheck.

He hasn't done jack otherwise. He's spent a bottomless pit worth of futures for garbage he thought would somehow work. Washed up and injured players like Kane, Tarasenko, and Wheeler, never-was players like Blais and Hunt, endless junk in the bottom 6, can't find a 1RW after selling Buch for free, literally free.

Reactions: tiggles

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Little late now since I'm done with work. I dont understand the move... Tarasenko was still available, you're getting the same thing more or less. Barabanov was available... he was hurt this season, the previous year he had 33 5v5 points in 68 games, easily paced for over 50 points that year. His quickness and skill could work well with the wonder twins. Duclair got very little money so that term wasn't an issue. Sprong's a guy that's broke out the last couple years and hasn't even played much of a role. The kids put up back to back +40 point seasons playing 12 minutes a game. +30 5v5 points. It doesn't take much projection to think he could achieve more in a larger role.

Point is... you're getting about the same thing more or less. Seems like you're pissing away a pick when you could sign a guy for the same results. If you're gonna go out and trade for a wing there why not aim big and cough up more for someone that could fit here long term.... not to mention he targets a wing and let's Chychrun get traded for peanuts

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Panarin-Trocheck-Laf
Kreider-Zibanejad-Smith
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Rempe-Carrick-Vesey

Fox-Lindgren
Trouba?-Miller
Jones-Schneider

There has to be something else cooking, especially on D. This roster is no better than what we iced last year after the deadline, when everyone around us got significantly better.

Boston loaded up, NYI basically kept everyone and added Duclair and NJD is going to be really good next year.

The math ain't mathing right now, Chris..
As of the deadline compared to today:
Smith is an upgrade on Roslo (and the injured Wheeler that he replaced).
Chytil at 100% is an upgrade on Wennberg (2x5 LOL).
Carrick/Brodz/Edstrom is a fine side-grade on Goodie.
Jones is a side-grade on Gus, but with upside.

By keeping pace with "What we iced last year," it shows that we could arguably compete for a President's Trophy even with a couple bad injuries and another mid-season Igor slump. We won the regular season with Bonino as the 3C for 40 games and disgruntled fans the whole way.

Boston is wonky. NYI is wonky. CAR lost some guys and made a couple good moves. NJD improved a lot.

Status quo means that we are a good team even with injuries and underperformance. That's the math on day 1 of the offseason. We can still do something to improve the D, too. I'm optimistic.

Reilly Smith was not good in PIT. But his counting stats were fine and it largely was due to the role he was asked to play.

In PIT he was essentially viewed as an offensive driver at 33. Vegas dropped him to the 3rd line last year and won a cup.

I don't really get why the Penguins thought they could bring Smith in and have him be a top six winger at his age.

I think he'll be good for you guys in a contract year and I think the cost for his salary hit is probably fair value of what he would've got at the deadline. I would expect 40-50 points tbh. Which is far better value than anyone you could've gotten in UFA.

Also I hate the Rangers. I hope he stinks.
Thanks for the fair assessment. Love you too, bud. :naughty:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

Dude. The summer just started.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad