Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith (PIT) to NYR for a 2nd rounder + 5th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
This is the GM that traded Buchnevich and had crap like Hunt, Blais, Wheeler, Vesey... in the top 6. And he hasn't learned. Don't fool yourself, Smith is the 1RW opening night. What a f'n joke.

Of all the possibilities, all the possible trade routes, UFA signings.... Drury decided that THIS is the move to get them a Cup?

Drury is absolute dog feces.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
What I like is it’s 1 year and fairly cheap…
There were a lot of deals signed today that are going to be anchors midway thru…
Reilly smith never wanted to leave Vegas. He was basically disinterested the entire year in Pitt…
Getting him back on a contender in hopes of winning a new contract might bring out the Reilly smith that the pens thought they were getting, the guy that was good in Vegas.
I doubt we’re done. But for today we probably are.
Any news on Trouba?? I guess he’s staying now? Wtf is going on there?

At worst, smith and carrick add some abrasive experience and depth to a team that needs it… Berard and Othmann better bring it in camp.
Edstrom too

Reactions: Chytilmania

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Don't fool yourself, Smith is the 1RW opening night.
I feel like it’s pretty established at this point that Panarin-Vin-Laf are the first line at this point

So in that case it means Smith is the 2RW, which is fine. Don’t think it’s worth blowing a gasket over frankly

I think they probably overpaid a bit to get him but that’s about the only minor compliant I could lodge here

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Panarin-Trocheck-Laf
Kreider-Zibanejad-Smith
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Rempe-Carrick-Vesey

Fox-Lindgren
Trouba?-Miller
Jones-Schneider

There has to be something else cooking, especially on D. This roster is no better than what we iced last year after the deadline, when everyone around us got significantly better.

Boston loaded up, NYI basically kept everyone and added Duclair and NJD is going to be really good next year.

The math ain't mathing right now, Chris..

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
I just wish they made this trade at the TDL instead of for the true garbo-Roslovic.

Chris Drury squandering a presidents trophy team in front of prime Igor Shesterkin with the deadline pickups of Roslovic and Wennberg will forever be seen as one of the bigger organizational f*** ups of the modern era

94' NYR traded the farm to get the guys they needed. Not saying it works out every time, but 2 wet farts at the deadline was not the answer.

But hey.. EJ Emery though!

Reactions: gabevh3

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
Drury apparently doesn't like waking up early on Saturdays, so all second round picks must go.
Mustn't ruin his mornings

This is the GM that traded Buchnevich and had crap like Hunt, Blais, Wheeler, Vesey... in the top 6. And he hasn't learned. Don't fool yourself, Smith is the 1RW opening night. What a f'n joke.

Of all the possibilities, all the possible trade routes, UFA signings.... Drury decided that THIS is the move to get them a Cup?

Drury is absolute dog feces.
And an overpayment to boot...

Last edited:
Reactions: GENESISPuck94

Feel Shame

May 8, 2024
More meh. Not like much else moves the needle. Beating a dead horse, but until we can play at even strength we won’t ever go past the ECF anyway. Still waiting on that shakeup trade, Trouba isn’t the shakeup.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Reilly Smith was not good in PIT. But his counting stats were fine and it largely was due to the role he was asked to play.

In PIT he was essentially viewed as an offensive driver at 33. Vegas dropped him to the 3rd line last year and won a cup.

I don't really get why the Penguins thought they could bring Smith in and have him be a top six winger at his age.

I think he'll be good for you guys in a contract year and I think the cost for his salary hit is probably fair value of what he would've got at the deadline. I would expect 40-50 points tbh. Which is far better value than anyone you could've gotten in UFA.

Also I hate the Rangers. I hope he stinks.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Ok fair enough but when you wanna make a trade deadline day trade and have no 2nd round picks or any 3rd round picks left you then need to start using first rounders and those are impimportant
Counter-point: have a good enough team that you don't need to make trades at the deadline to fix the team.

(Not saying that's the Rangers as currently constructed)

Also could look at it as Rangers trading for Smith now instead of in 9 months for a 2nd anyways.

Anyways, like I intimated previously, GMs don't have the luxury that us fans do. If the Rangers falter in the next three seasons at the NHL level, that 2027 2nd pick won't be Drury's to use anymore.

...oh and if Pens miss the playoffs the next couple of years, it may not be Dubas' to use either.

Reactions: egelband

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Reilly Smith was not good in PIT. But his counting stats were fine and it largely was due to the role he was asked to play.

In PIT he was essentially viewed as an offensive driver at 33. Vegas dropped him to the 3rd line last year and won a cup.

I don't really get why the Penguins thought they could bring Smith in and have him be a top six winger at his age.

I think he'll be good for you guys in a contract year and I think the cost for his salary hit is probably fair value of what he would've got at the deadline. I would expect 40-50 points tbh. Which is far better value than anyone you could've gotten in UFA.

Also I hate the Rangers. I hope he stinks.
Thanks for the honest take.
A year at 3.6 isn’t a major investment by any means.
Hoping they milk the last best season smith has left in him so he can get a new deal,( likely somewhere else).
At worst, I trust him far more to bury an open net chance than Wennberg/roslovic….
Drury could have signed Guentzel to that deal, or stamkos for the preds????
Do we really want that for old players?
Panarin and Trouba are coming off the books soon enough.
The next FA class has some heavy hitters and we’ve got kids to sign that need raises.
I doubt we are done, and this roster is still a playoff team. Stay the course even though it’s boring right now.
This might be the year where we take 1 step back to take 2 forward next season.
The only deal that I would have def made no questions asked is the walker deal.
Solid deal. Fair pay for a good player.
Freaking Gus got 2 mill a year like most of us saw coming.

Reactions: FUZfan and egelband

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
As a Pens fan I would like to say thank you to the NY Rangers. After watching the Pens for over 4 decades, Smith was in my top 3 all time hated Penguins player. I don't even care if he scores 30+ for you next season..... BYE

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Let me put it to you this way. I’m 72. By the time this pick gets to the Rangers (if they ever get to the Rangers) the odds are I’m dead or senile,
copy. i'll try to remember that all of your opinions should be seen through a win now lens.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Thanks for the honest take.
A year at 3.6 isn’t a major investment by any means.
Hoping they milk the last best season smith has left in him so he can get a new deal,( likely somewhere else).
At worst, I trust him far more to bury an open net chance than Wennberg/roslovic….
Drury could have signed Guentzel to that deal, or stamkos for the preds????
Do we really want that for old players?
Panarin and Trouba are coming off the books soon enough.
The next FA class has some heavy hitters and we’ve got kids to sign that need raises.
I doubt we are done, and this roster is still a playoff team. Stay the course even though it’s boring right now.
This might be the year where we take 1 step back to take 2 forward next season.
The only deal that I would have def made no questions asked is the walker deal.
Solid deal. Fair pay for a good player.
Freaking Gus got 2 mill a year like most of us saw coming.
Drury is hoping as we all are that one of our top 5 prospects makes the opening day line up. I don't see how this helps the Z line...but I've been wrong more often than right about all things Rangers lately, what do I know. I had Cuylle as a horrible skater and on the way to being a bust and he was an anchor for the 3rd line.

Let me put it to you this way. I’m 72. By the time this pick gets to the Rangers (if they ever get to the Rangers) the odds are I’m dead or senile,
I hope not.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
solid move. I wanted Smith last year. He’s a very good two/way wing. This is actually a buy low move. Was great with LV and the panthers. Expiring term so it doesn’t hurt long term and he’s playing for a contract.

Reactions: egelband and Kendo

Ad

Ad

Ad