Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith (PIT) to NYR for a 2nd rounder + 5th

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Show me a UFA who just signed an equivalent of Smith's 1 year at 3.6m? Term matters. $$ matters and the fact that this 2nd pick is 3 years down the line...

Reactions: TheWrongWay

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Smith shot 8.5% last season, which was significantly lower than his normal number. Still popped in 40 points. If he shoots his ~12%, we'll have a 50 point winger for 3.75.

Allows time for Berard and Othmann to mature in the minors some more. If they blow up in the A, you an always call them up in season. 3LW is also an open spot potentially.

Top 9 is practically set:

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere
Kreider-Mika-Smith
XXXX-Chytil-Kakko

We'll see if there is a cheap veteran that may fill that spot.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
But I really wanted Anthony Duclair for 4 years!
Gross! Who’s giving that guy 4 years?! Oh… Sweet Lou… makes sense.

Smith shot 8.5% last season, which was significantly lower than his normal number. Still popped in 40 points. If he shoots his ~12%, we'll have a 50 point winger for 3.75.

Allows time for Berard and Othmann to mature in the minors some more. If they blow up in the A, you an always call them up in season. 3LW is also an open spot potentially.

Top 9 is practically set:

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere
Kreider-Mika-Smith
XXXX-Chytil-Kakko

We'll see if there is a cheap veteran that may fill that spot.
I still hate that 3rd line.

Kakko is vanilla and the over/under on games for Chytil is 40. Third line has been an issue for years now.

• Haha
Reactions: will1066

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
The Rangers don't appear to be doing anything that would impede their 25/26 plans or even beyond (when the big FA crop comes out in 2026). Makes sense, they have known checks coming due, Othmann / Perrault are coming...they were obviously looking for $$$ fair one year players to find a fit that works.

Enter Mr. Smith / Carrick. Short term pieces with potential to play big roles.

Some of the contracts being given out today are awful. But the panthers / canes both got a little weaker...all in a pretty good first three hours.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
I think it was a solid deal for both sides. He wasnt great for sure but can still be good for 15-20 goals. The biggest issue most Pens fans had was that he just seemed so disinterested at times, he started off really hot and then was just a dude on skates most of the year. Rangers obviously in a better position in terms of season goals so maybe a new scenery will motivate him.

Rangers get a middle 6 guy who can step up if needed
Penguins get draft capital that they are working on collecting

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

DolansKazoo

May 16, 2015
We excel at disinterest here especially in the playoffs. He'll fit in fine.
I think it was a solid deal for both sides. He wasnt great for sure but can still be good for 15-20 goals. The biggest issue most Pens fans had was that he just seemed so disinterested at times, he started off really hot and then was just a dude on skates most of the year. Rangers obviously in a better position in terms of season goals so maybe a new scenery will motivate him.

Rangers get a middle 6 guy who can step up if needed
Penguins get draft capital that they are working on collecting

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Pittsburgh also retained 1.25m so we have him at Goodrow money. I'd say that's quite the upgrade in how that cap space is being used.

And we owned two 2nd round picks in the 2027 draft, so we'll still have another that year after trading one away.
Where do you see that? We have two 2nd round picks in 2027?

People continue to dramatically overvalue picks on here.
Ok fair enough but when you wanna make a trade deadline day trade and have no 2nd round picks or any 3rd round picks left you then need to start using first rounders and those are important.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

Ok fair enough but when you wanna make a trade deadline day trade and have no 2nd round picks or any 3rd round picks left you then need to start using first rounders and those are important.

Late-firsts like EJ Emery are tradeable too.

If I find out that a Trouba deal was held up because Drury didn't want to part with 30OA Emery, just shoot my fan card into the sun.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Sorry, it was the 5th rounder that we owned two of. That's what I get for repeating something I read on twitter from one of the insiders as this was breaking.

Reactions: bl02

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad