Confirmed with Link: Reichel extended for 2 years at $1.2m per cap hit

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
What talent do you question? He's got plus wheels hands and vision.
Decision making, effectiveness as a playmaker. Agree to disagree but I don't see it. He seems like a nervous player with not a lot of confidence. Maybe that's more between the ears than talent but that's just semantics

Reactions: Muffinalt

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Good contract, by the time its over hopefully he's figured it out and is an impactful player.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
the reichel at center experiment went on too long. very easy and understandable to blame lurich for that. reichel has to take responsibility for the rest of his season. he's been a roughly ppg ahl player for three years now. that has to start translating to the big league, unless he wants to be the new brandon pirri.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Reichel couldn't even put up points with Bedard

He had every opportunity to prove himself and he squandered it

There's many things you can criticize Richardson for, but this isn't one of them

Reichel is a bum

He played with Bedard for 105 minutes total and 83 of those minutes were with Bedard and Kurashev -- a line that was never going to work bc none of those players are great at winning back pucks.

The majority of the first half of the year he was playing with Guttman, Entwistle, Raddysh and Johnson. Lot of opportunity to squander there.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
He played with Bedard for 105 minutes total and 83 of those minutes were with Bedard and Kurashev -- a line that was never going to work bc none of those players are great at winning back pucks.

The majority of the first half of the year he was playing with Guttman, Entwistle, Raddysh and Johnson. Lot of opportunity to squander there.
I gather your post is insinuating that Reichel was brought down by his linemates. That's a cop out.

He had some moments but they were few and far between, no matter who he was playing with. His play did show improvement after his return from Rockford so I have some hope.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I gather your post is insinuating that Reichel was brought down by his linemates. That's a cop out.

He had some moments but they were few and far between, no matter who he was playing with. His play did show improvement after his return from Rockford so I have some hope.

I’m not insinuating anything. Most of the first half of the year he had nothing to work with. The only “opportunity” he had was with Bedard on a fundamentally flawed line and [insert shocked pikachu face here] it didn’t work.

Reichel didn’t do himself any favours. He didn’t play well after getting off to a slow start. But it’s completely revisionist to say he squandered opportunities. There were no opportunities to be had on this roster, as it was constructed and after the injuries to Hall and Athanasiou and the termination of Perry’s contract.

Reactions: Giovi and Pez68

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Whatever the cause, he had a disaster of a year and people keep trying to polish the turd for some reason. He wasn't that good at the end of the year, half the lines across the league were playing like crap after the deadline. He obviously has NHL level tools, so maybe he converts them, but it's a big maybe still. If he's a bottom 6, who cares at this point in the rebuild?

Don't get two, should have just eaten the third imo. Too risky setting the precedent with an overpay for 1 and I doubt he would have agreed to it.

Playing this "maybe" game with him doesn't seem like a good idea with so many depth players fighting for minutes right now.

There are enough cost controlled years coming up for the next 5-6 years he would have been easy to manage a hike in AAV in a few, and if he does bounce back to being a good prospect, that extra year locked up makes him much more appealing in a trade for a real long term answer.

It's fine, but since he won't be a a great contract comp to most of the drafted forwards on the way up, I think it would have been much better to have locked down the third year.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I’m not insinuating anything. Most of the first half of the year he had nothing to work with. The only “opportunity” he had was with Bedard on a fundamentally flawed line and [insert shocked pikachu face here] it didn’t work.

Reichel didn’t do himself any favours. He didn’t play well after getting off to a slow start. But it’s completely revisionist to say he squandered opportunities. There were no opportunities to be had on this roster, as it was constructed and after the injuries to Hall and Athanasiou and the termination of Perry’s contract.
Your definition of "opportunity" is different from mine. The fact that he was playing a regular role in the NHL despite playing so poorly is opportunity enough, that few players would enjoy under those circumstances. Furthermore, gifting a player first line minutes in that situation is no way for a player to develop NHL skills.

Reactions: MarotteMarauder

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
Somebody posted that Reichel can't play center and struggles on the wall. So where does he play? A wide open big ice European league?

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Somebody posted that Reichel can't play center and struggles on the wall. So where does he play? A wide open big ice European league?

If I were to do anything I’d probably start him at wing next year with Dickinson and Foligno. Let him play with those guys and get his game game in shape away from the puck and learn from them.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's gonna be tough for him. He's best as a skilled guy with other guys that can do the defensive stuff and the board play stuff. But the question is whether he'll be a good enough skill guy to be in a skill guy role. With Bedard, that's one skill guy he's always behind. So can he be a second skill guy, either at the same line or a different one? If other guys start to fill out that are better as skilled guys, then where does he have a place? Questions, questions.

A big reason why everyone shouldn't oogle over whomever had the most points in a junior league when you get to like 2nd round picks and beyond in a Draft. You run out of the pure skill spots and need guys that can fill in around the lineup pretty quickly. You can sacrifice a bit of a skill to get guys that are big, bring defense/PK to the table, good boardplay, forechecking, etc.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It's gonna be tough for him. He's best as a skilled guy with other guys that can do the defensive stuff and the board play stuff. But the question is whether he'll be a good enough skill guy to be in a skill guy role. With Bedard, that's one skill guy he's always behind. So can he be a second skill guy, either at the same line or a different one? If other guys start to fill out that are better as skilled guys, then where does he have a place? Questions, questions.

A big reason why everyone shouldn't oogle over whomever had the most points in a junior league when you get to like 2nd round picks and beyond in a Draft. You run out of the pure skill spots and need guys that can fill in around the lineup pretty quickly. You can sacrifice a bit of a skill to get guys that are big, bring defense/PK to the table, good boardplay, forechecking, etc.
Yep... and it seems to me that NHL playoff hockey gets more physical with time. There is very little room for small, soft, skill guys who are very good but not elite. Europe may be the best for Reichel. I reckon the upcoming season will be his final test to remain an NHLer.

Reactions: MarotteMarauder

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Your definition of "opportunity" is different from mine. The fact that he was playing a regular role in the NHL despite playing so poorly is opportunity enough, that few players would enjoy under those circumstances. Furthermore, gifting a player first line minutes in that situation is no way for a player to develop NHL skills.
Half the forwards on the team weren't NHL players. Seems everyone on the roster had amazing opportunities by your definition. Nothing like playing against NHL competition without NHL linemates. Seems like a really good way to showcase one's self.

Reactions: Pez68

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Half the forwards on the team weren't NHL players. Seems everyone on the roster had amazing opportunities by your definition. Nothing like playing against NHL competition without NHL linemates. Seems like a really good way to showcase one's self.
Any NHL scouts who have followed the Blackhawks this season will have a very good idea which players they may want on their team.... and Reichel would not be on any of their lists. Players like Vlasic, Dickenson, Foligno and perhaps Kurashev would likely be the guys that scouts like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad