Referee Wes McCauley has a major conflict with Keefe, shouldn't be reffing Leafs Games

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Yeah, that 0-8 record with McCauley sticks out like a sore thumb. The conflict of interest theory concerning Sheldon Keefe is legitimate in my opinion.
MacCauly has called 4 games where Keefe coached in the playoffs.. 3 times we had more penalties, the one game we didn't was the game he called back the Tavares goal.

I don't even know if there is a bias, I just think he is a terrible ref who must insert himself into games, but it is 100% a conflict of interest.
The record during the Keefe era is bad.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I see we already have the refs lined up as the excuse if they lose.

I get why people could believe this. These refs aren't hired for their ability to call a fair game. They're hired for their ability to best serve the league.

The NHL is a phony world of spineless people.

A closed society in which nepotism reigns supreme. An inbred group of mainly unqualified former players. You get places by who you know and who you blow.

Which is why conflicts of interest such as this are common.

With so many exes the gene pool gets a bit murky. Everyone at the family reunion is hooking up. When it's only your sister or your cousin to chose from your cousin starts to look pretty cute.

Limited choices usually result in bad choices.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
If McCauley ends up being the ref, Keefe better keep his mouth shut if he wants to keep his job.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Game 7 Officials

1714780469537.png
1714780353767.png

Eric Furlatt (27), Kelly Sutherland (11)
,Jon McIsaac (2)*
Linespersons Jonny Murray (95), Matt MacPherson (83),

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah, that 0-8 record with McCauley sticks out like a sore thumb. The conflict of interest theory concerning Sheldon Keefe is legitimate in my opinion.
It has to be a deliberate blind eye. Oh look, the leafs are making a push. Call up Wes to put that to an end.
Supposedly refs get reviewed, but he seems to be Teflon for the games with the leafs

Reactions: OddyOh

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Damn, now we only have the Matthews excuse left. :sarcasm:
True. If he doesn't play, that means we lose without our best player. If he plays, then his insertion into the lineup may have disturbed the winning chemistry of the team.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

There are other twitter sources claiming otherwise, but I think Scouting The Refs is a legitimate source with regard to referees.

Probably smart of the league not to use him. Getting in the realm of people that lose sports betting in leafs games reffed by him have enough data to potentially class action the league.

The rigging is getting very close to being actioned upon. Open mic game management moments are funny too.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I really don't understand why this is still a conversation

Is it really that hard for the NHL to simply not put Wes in games where Keefe is coaching? I'm asking honestly.

We wouldn't even need to be having this conversation. Seems so avoidable.

Even if there is nothing to it, generally professional organizations want to avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad