Referee ranking

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Angel Hernandez for the worst.

Wait that's MLB.

I could give or take Wes McCauley (mostly give), I think Furlatt is dreadful, and not a huge Kelly Sutherland fan, but he's been decent to my teams at times.

Reactions: SoupNazi

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
McCauley and Chris lee are the absolute worst. I don't even know most referees names tbh, but when the same guys keep standing out over and over again it gets hard to ignore. Both of those guys love to make the game about themselves.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I can name like three referees. Wes McCauley because of his super cool and hip calls. Steve Kozari because he got knocked out. Then there's the one with a super French name like Yves Saint Laurent or something.

• Haha
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
You'll never really get a consensus on this. In this age of numbers on jerseys and refs with helmets and visors, any ref whose name or voice people know will get a ton of votes for best AND worst.

Reactions: RegDunlop

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Chris Lee is an abomination, and has been for over a decade now. Only thing he knows how to do is how to increase the temperature of the fans and players.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
It depends on if they're reffing games your team is playing and if you're losing.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Tim Peel was atrocious.

Glad the NHL did the right thing and sent him packing.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Kyle Rehman has done a good job. I think in general all refs make mistakes but McCauley seems to be liked by the players because he often verbalizes to them more during the game on what to do, not do, and stop doing before I call it.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Tim Peel was atrocious.

Glad the NHL did the right thing and sent him packing.
An interesting tidbit regarding Peel, he says that he was often assigned to ref games with inexperienced refs. He was sort of used to break new refs in. He says that many people see bad calls, look at who is reffing, and say, “Of course it’s bad, it’s a Tim Peel game,” when it was actually the inexperienced refs making mistakes. Obviously this is coming from him, so form your own opinion. There is an interesting interview from a while back, here’s the link:
It changed my view of him, honestly.

Reactions: njdevils1982

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
An interesting tidbit regarding Peel, he says that he was often assigned to ref games with inexperienced refs. He was sort of used to break new refs in. He says that many people see bad calls, look at who is reffing, and say, “Of course it’s bad, it’s a Tim Peel game,” when it was actually the inexperienced refs making mistakes. Obviously this is coming from him, so form your own opinion. There is an interesting interview from a while back, here’s the link:
It changed my view of him, honestly.
(Without reading the interview )
I mean, just sounds like a dude blaming his coworkers like every poor employee would. That line on the mic said everything we need to know about him. Bad ref this is just excuses. I remember some calls against the habs just awful

Reactions: wgknestrick

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
(Without reading the interview )
I mean, just sounds like a dude blaming his coworkers like every poor employee would. That line on the mic said everything we need to know about him. Bad ref this is just excuses. I remember some calls against the habs just awful
I highly recommend reading the article, it seems as if the game management that got Peel fired is commonplace and he is just the ref who got caught. Again, you could be right that he is just blaming others for his mistakes, still interesting.

Reactions: Fledgemyhedge

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
I highly recommend reading the article, it seems as if the game management that got Peel fired is commonplace and he is just the ref who got caught. Again, you could be right that he is just blaming others for his mistakes, still interesting.
You’re probably right on that unfortunately.

was an interesting read and although I maintain not buying the rookie ref excuse it was interesting to see him humanized.

Sounds like he followed the NHLs direction too well. To a fault and that’s what lead to to his demise. Very concerning as a fan to read because it feels like the only wrong he did was exposing how they’re supposed to ref games. Not the actual game management itself

Reactions: I am Bettman

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Wes McCauley is the absolute best

Pretty much every ref in the 2024 playoffs is the worst

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
McCauley and Chris lee are the absolute worst. I don't even know most referees names tbh, but when the same guys keep standing out over and over again it gets hard to ignore. Both of those guys love to make the game about themselves.
Lee is bad agree.
but the players disagree with you on MacCauley.

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
If game management got Peel fired, then clearly it is not only NOT a league mandate, but it's also clearly contrary to the desire of the league.

So I'm confused. What's the narrative?

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
If game management got Peel fired, then clearly it is not only NOT a league mandate, but it's also clearly contrary to the desire of the league.

So I'm confused. What's the narrative?
The narrative is that he got fired for getting caught, not for game management

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad