Redo One Move From Your Team In The Last 20 Years

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Stopping the hire of Peter Chiarelli would have to be #1 on a list with a few close 2nds

I’d like to be able to undo Klefbom shoulder injury but that probably falls outside the OP premise. Klefbom was our top D so it was a massive understated loss. It also gave Nurse camp way more leverage. Had Nurse been on the 2nd pairing he probably slots in at 5.5 after his bridge deal. He wouldn’t have even had that showcase in a weak Canadian division as he’d had been a clear as day second fiddle to Klef.

Oilers would be a much better team with a healthy Klefbom (he had a value contract) and Nurse never getting his colossal one.
Klefbom injury is a travesty.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Hmmm.

Taking Makar instead of Hischier would’ve been interesting but is probably such a thought experiment in the sense that a lot of consequent decisions change and the team’s still in a good place so not sure it’s even that important.

I’m not big on the Palat deal. And picking someone other than Holtz, like Askarov or Jarvis, is another decision that would be intriguing.

I don’t know man. Lou could’ve drafted better but I like where we are at so I’m not sure I regret the path. The rebuild has gone well to me because I had a realistic expectation of the time needed for it to happen, unlike a lot of fanbases who are in the midst of them right now.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Letting Dan Blysma coach the team for as long as he did during the primes of Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Fleury. A huge portion of their primes were lost to that absolute idiot. Sullivan has his warts and issues. I absolutely do not absolve him of them. But I do think he is a far better coach than Ban Blysma ever was and is but that is insanely low bar to meet. I am grateful for the cup he helped energize the team to get in 09'. But if you are gifted a roster with the talent that was on it in the heat of their prime for the length of time he had his hands on the wheel of this team and you can not accidently fall into more success than he had. You are not an NHL coach. I am still shocked that he is back in the NHL even now.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Bourdon dying isn't fair in this debate imo.
You should choose something else, like the Ekman-Larsson trade

tragedy aside, how good would bourdon have to have been to be worth taking over kopitar? he had to be brian leetch level great right?

that is so far above bourdon’s reasonable ceiling there’s basically no alternate universe where passing on kopitar wasn’t a mistake

and again, every single motherf***ing person in the province wanted kopitar, there is zero hindsight here.

Moridin

Apr 8, 2007
Its hard, but at the end of the day, I don't want to change anything before drafting Matthews. No matter what he is the best to ever play for the Leafs.

I'm going with the signing of Tavares. Without Tavares, the following is relatively likely to happen.

- A lower cap on the first deals for Matthews & Marner.
- Kadri is still our #2 center.
- Hyman could have been kept
- money could have been spent on another #2 defenceman.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Kreider was taken 1 pick after Louis LeBlanc. If they had drafted him, not only do they have him on their team but he can't injure Price. Might not have had enough to beat the Kings, but they had a fighting chance.

Habs would not have had fared any better than the Rangers did against the kings that year. It was a terrible matchup for them.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Tank more in 2022 for Gauthier or Jiricek. Or take Yurov, McGroaty, or even Mateychuk/Geekie over trading down from 11.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
For Montreal it's probably drafting Claude Giroux instead of David Fischer in 2006. Prime Giroux added to the Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Markov, Plekanec, Gallagher group gives that team the true #1C it was always missing but without losing anyone important to that core through the butterfly effect of Giroux likely putting Montreal higher in the standings. Giroux breaking into the league for Montreal in 08-09 like he did with the Flyers also potentially prevents the Gomez/McDonagh trade from happening and potentially means Bergevin is never hired.

Looking at draft picks retrospectively is low hanging fruit. The list of regrettable decisions would be endless for all teams.

I'd have a much bigger issue with the gomez trade.... where you already had picked mcdonagh in the draft and then gave him away along with Higgins.

Last edited:

OldAsianSharksFan

More 1OV picks please
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
You wouldn't rather reverse something that has to do with the Joes and Patrick era? They were pretty darn close for pretty darn long. Quality era.
For the Sharks? It's either the Dany Heatley trade or the Martin Jones 6 year $34.5M contract in 2017.

I understand that the Brian Campbell trade was the Sharks going for the Cup, and losing. Also the Christian Ehrhoff trade was to cut salary to Heatley so we weren't going to get fair value.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
For the Sharks? It's either the Dany Heatley trade or the Martin Jones 6 year $34.5M contract in 2017.

I understand that the Brian Campbell trade was the Sharks going for the Cup, and losing. Also the Christian Ehrhoff trade was to cut salary to Heatley so we weren't going to get fair value.
I guess what I'd be looking for is did anything reversible in this exercise keep ya from beating the Pens?

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
IMG_5543.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: NYRfan85

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Trading Rask for Raycroft, easily.

Still boils my blood to this day. :madfire:
The Marleau signing was the first that came to mind for the Leafs since it was such an obvious blunder the moment the contract was signed...

The 1st round pick they gave up to shed the 3rd year of his deal was used to draft Seth Jarvis

That's pretty gross...

• Wow
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Let me guess, I'm not the first to mention the Leafs' acquisition of John Tavares? They scored 277 goals in 2017-18 - they were tied for second with the Jets. They did not need Kyle Dubas' big splash. Without that big splash, they could have easily afforded to acquire a legitimate Number One d-man - like Alex Pietrangelo, and have much more reliable goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00