Pre-Game Talk: Redemption against the Bruins

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

Hey coach, team is struggling and that 1st line is not clicking at all...we need a shakeup.

1729880491344.png

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
- Slow start to the season ("Don't worry, November's almost here!")
- Embarrassing losses to bottom-feeders
- Goaltending (outside) Stolarz (so far) a question mark
- Bottom 6 not good enough (the 3rd line specifically)
- Nylander/Marner dangling inside the opposing blue line with no one behind him, coughs up the puck leading to a crippling goal against.
- Inconsistent efforts throughout
- Still stuck in east-west mindset, way too many intercepted stretch passes, giveaways in the neutral zone and a forecheck that seems to rely on what mood they're in that night
- Special teams are a s**t show (although the PP usually waits until the playoffs to be this bad)

So, tell me again, what was Berube supposed to bring to this team that would get them out of their bad habits? Because so far, this is exactly, precisely the same team we've seen every other year and maybe even worse.

I get that it's only 8 games but I'm already getting the feeling that this Berube's system is the square peg to this team's round hole of wanting to play pond hockey. At the very least it seems they way be willing to do the heavy forecheck/north-south thing for a game or two but will regress at the first opportunity hoping the coach doesn't notice.

Out of 8 GP, one really great effort/result and a whole lot of mediocrity-to-awful. Not good at all.

Reactions: NVious

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'm predicting two losses in Boston and Winnipeg. Then they will rebound after that.
I’ll go with we win both. More times than not we beat the good teams and lost to bad teams. Just a quirk but stuff like that happens. Remind me of when I used to play a lot of snooker, I could always beat one the better players in the pool hall but regularly lose to average random guys.

horner

May 22, 2007
- Nylander/Marner dangling inside the opposing blue line with no one behind him, coughs up the puck leading to a crippling goal against.
- Still stuck in east-west mindset, way too many intercepted stretch passes, giveaways in the neutral zone and a forecheck that seems to rely on what mood they're in that night
- Special teams are a s**t show (although the PP usually waits until the playoffs to be this bad)

So, tell me again, what was Berube supposed to bring to this team that would get them out of their bad habits? Because so far, this is exactly, precisely the same team we've seen every other year and maybe even worse.

I get that it's only 8 games but I'm already getting the feeling that this Berube's system is the square peg to this team's round hole of wanting to play pond hockey. At the very least it seems they way be willing to do the heavy forecheck/north-south thing for a game or two but will regress at the first opportunity hoping the coach doesn't notice.

Out of 8 GP, one really great effort/result and a whole lot of mediocrity-to-awful. Not good at all.
Old habits are hard to break.
Being to cute with the puck.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The Powerplay would benefit tremendously with a left flank focus.. if we are not going to try and find a righty on the bumper. Like Kuch and Point. You could put Marner there as the shot power is not as important as the release. Knies at net front for screens, back post plays and puck recoveries.

If you used Matthews on the left, Nylander goal line, OEL up top, Knies bumper and a flank lefty (Robertson) you could run a number of plays

1. Matthews shot through a screen rolling down
2. Matthews to goal line, Knies pop play.
3. Matthews rolling down and a touch back to OEL for a one timer from the midpoint.,
4. Matthews. Nylander or OEL getting it to Roberston for a one time shot as a mixer.

Savard simply has to find something here.. you need to PP on nights you are doing f*** all and the last two nights we have done f*** all and the PP has cost us momentum, not added to it.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Not having a third line center is hurting what they can do. If they don’t want to use Nylander at center then we need Domi there. This is what I’d like to see once healthy.

Knies Matthews Domi
McMann Tavares Marner
Jarncrok Nylander Robertson
Lorentz Kampf Dewar

This is assuming we don’t trade anyone

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

You expect people to completely change 8 games into a season? We're a month and a half into his tenure, trying to form new habits that conflict with lifelong ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad