Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospect Depository IV - A New Thread About Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Seriously?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=56641

This is the second time someone thought we were talking about Charles Hudon (I wish he was our prospect). Instead of the little, skilled Hudon, we have the big "powerforward" type prospect.

Yup. But I don't think he's getting a contract. Granted, haven't seen him play but he's almost 20. Should produce better than that at juniors. And with the issue he has.. hoping good future for the kid but I'm not sure if that is with the Wings.

There's also Emeric Hudon who plays in Shawinigan.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Yup. But I don't think he's getting a contract. Granted, haven't seen him play but he's almost 20. Should produce better than that at juniors. And with the issue he has.. hoping good future for the kid but I'm not sure if that is with the Wings.

There's also Emeric Hudon who plays in Shawinigan.

He had some medical issues, so he lost a year or a year and half in his development. He's a RHS, 6'1", 201 lbs. It's the kind of prospects DRW like to work with. I wouldn't rule him out quite yet, although he is definitely the weakest prospect during the 2011 draft year. Even Marchenko and Nedomlel, who were taken later are more promising. I think Quine and Hudon will struggle to land deals.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Seriously?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=56641

This is the second time someone thought we were talking about Charles Hudon (I wish he was our prospect). Instead of the little, skilled Hudon, we have the big "powerforward" type prospect.

Ya that was my bad i realize we have a Hudon in our system, but for some reason i thought he was referring to the Canada vs Finland exhibition game yesterday, completely misread what he said and thats my bad.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Ya that was my bad i realize we have a Hudon in our system, but for some reason i thought he was referring to the Canada vs Finland exhibition game yesterday, completely misread what he said and thats my bad.

Haha, no worries. ;)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He had some medical issues, so he lost a year or a year and half in his development. He's a RHS, 6'1", 201 lbs. It's the kind of prospects DRW like to work with. I wouldn't rule him out quite yet, although he is definitely the weakest prospect during the 2011 draft year. Even Marchenko and Nedomlel, who were taken later are more promising. I think Quine and Hudon will struggle to land deals.

Saying goodbye to Quine would be a mistake. He is a fantastic skater and has good hockey sense at least offensively.

I wouldn't give Hudon a contract though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What's Quine's potential? 3rd liner?

We will see, he reminds me an awful lot of Landon Ferraro, not as physical yet, but a sneaky shot, very fast and good feel for the game. If he wasn't stuck on a bad Petes team I don't think there would be any question about his contract status around here. Even then I don't think that is really all that up in the air, the tweets about the trade even point out he will be in the AHL next year.

The guy has a very high ceiling, keep in mind he was the second overall pick in the OHL when he entered. It would have helped if he continued to grow, but he should play at 5'11" and 190 or 195 lbs when he is done with AHL duty. His skating is what gets him to the NHL for me, just like people say about Athanasiou it is hard to see how he won't make it at some point on the speed factor.

What he is has a large part to do with what he looks like in pro hockey. I could see him still having a breakout campaign he has very good vision. Keep in mind he played for Canada's U-18 team on a line with Scheifele and Ritchie, when they went on the PP, he played with the first unit along with Murray and Murphy. The kid has class talent, it is just putting it all together. I certainly wouldn't cut bait given his gifts, who knows if he gets going he does have top 6 skills. The last two years including this year he has been a point a game player and this year he is doing it coming off mono. Even three seasons ago after his trade from Kingston he came up to about a point a game player.

He also can play both center and wing, he might start in Toledo, but given the few ECHL games I have taken in he will absolutely destroy it because of his speed. Raedeke and Andersson will be gone, Glendening has been very impressive but I think they have room for a center in the organization especially since it sounds like Jarnkrok will never see a day in Grand Rapids.

I do think he is a bottom line player in the NHL, but as far as ultimate best case potential he still has a lot of it.

Aug 6, 2012
We will see, he reminds me an awful lot of Landon Ferraro, not as physical yet, but a sneaky shot, very fast and good feel for the game. If he wasn't stuck on a bad Petes team I don't think there would be any question about his contract status around here. Even then I don't think that is really all that up in the air, the tweets about the trade even point out he will be in the AHL next year.

The guy has a very high ceiling, keep in mind he was the second overall pick in the OHL when he entered. It would have helped if he continued to grow, but he should play at 5'11" and 190 or 195 lbs when he is done with AHL duty. His skating is what gets him to the NHL for me, just like people say about Athanasiou it is hard to see how he won't make it at some point on the speed factor.

What he is has a large part to do with what he looks like in pro hockey. I could see him still having a breakout campaign he has very good vision. Keep in mind he played for Canada's U-18 team on a line with Scheifele and Ritchie, when they went on the PP, he played with the first unit along with Murray and Murphy. The kid has class talent, it is just putting it all together. I certainly wouldn't cut bait given his gifts, who knows if he gets going he does have top 6 skills. The last two years including this year he has been a point a game player and this year he is doing it coming off mono. Even three seasons ago after his trade from Kingston he came up to about a point a game player.

He also can play both center and wing, he might start in Toledo, but given the few ECHL games I have taken in he will absolutely destroy it because of his speed. Raedeke and Andersson will be gone, Glendening has been very impressive but I think they have room for a center in the organization especially since it sounds like Jarnkrok will never see a day in Grand Rapids.

Interesting... I guess we'll have to wait and see when he gets to GR.

RedWingsNow*

I don't that Quine has earned a contract. And if he doesn't bust a move soon, he won't. It's quite amazing how quickly this guy adds up the minuses.
-14 in 21 games Tied for third worst on the team despite missing 14 games.
-19 last year -- tied for second worst, only behind a 15-year old.
-35 two years ago -- Tied for second worst, despite missing 16 games.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I don't that Quine has earned a contract. And if he doesn't bust a move soon, he won't. It's quite amazing how quickly this guy adds up the minuses.

I'll be honest, I've never seen him play. But to his defense a coach will generally play his best players vs other teams top lines. Well if his line mates and defensemen suck, his stats will show it. They will show more so if he plays more.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT

To be fair this year, the team is brutal. Last place and a goal differential of -54. Neither goalie is posting a SV% over .900

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

He was used in a shut down role for team Canada before and is considered a pretty good 2 way player. Hes one of the wings fastest prospects and has produced pretty big offense, I dont know what else you think he has to do to get a contract because plus minus is a garbage stat

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I hope the Wings don't give out contracts based on their prospect's +/-. If they do, they should all be fired.

RedWingsNow*

I hope the Wings don't give out contracts based on their prospect's +/-. If they do, they should all be fired.

+/- is just one indicator.

And in Quine's case, it coincides with so-so physical attributes and uninspiring offense....

I'd put his chances of a contract at about 33 percent.

RedWingsNow*

He was used in a shut down role for team Canada before and is considered a pretty good 2 way player. Hes one of the wings fastest prospects and has produced pretty big offense, I dont know what else you think he has to do to get a contract because plus minus is a garbage stat

When the Wings have a prospect you don't think is the cat's meow, I'll be interested.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
When the Wings have a prospect you don't think is the cat's meow, I'll be interested.

I dont think hes the cats meow but you dont have to be the cats meow to get a contract to play in the ECHL. Especially when hes putting up pretty big numbers and is decent defensively... but youre right his +/- is bad and youve seen him play a tonne so youre probably right, hes not good enough to get a shot in the ECHL :laugh:

RedWingsNow*

I dont think hes the cats meow but you dont have to be the cats meow to get a contract to play in the ECHL. Especially when hes putting up pretty big numbers and is decent defensively... but youre right his +/- is bad and youve seen him play a tonne so youre probably right, hes not good enough to get a shot in the ECHL :laugh:

I haven't seen him play at all. What I can say is that the highlight reels haven't been very impressive. His stats aren't indicative of some great talent.

What I see is another Randy Cameron, Zach Torquato, Tyler Haskins.
Undboutedly, he'll be good enough for an ECHL position. But the question is, is he worth an NHL contract?
We've only got so many to go around.

From Quine's draft, Jurco, Oulette and Sproul already have deals. Tvrdon, Backman and Marcheno are likely to get deals. Nedomlel might get a deal. We've got Frk, Paterson, Athanasiou getting deals the next year.

We're still waiting for Pulkinnen and Jarnkrok to come over and Jensen to sign.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
The bi polar Odd Couple of the HF Red Wings board Newfy (loves everything) and Captain Bob (hates everything). Sign these guys up to a Wings radio show.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I haven't seen him play at all. What I can say is that the highlight reels haven't been very impressive. His stats aren't indicative of some great talent.

What I see is another Randy Cameron, Zach Torquato, Tyler Haskins.
Undboutedly, he'll be good enough for an ECHL position. But the question is, is he worth an NHL contract?
We've only got so many to go around.

From Quine's draft, Jurco, Oulette and Sproul already have deals. Tvrdon, Backman and Marcheno are likely to get deals. Nedomlel might get a deal. We've got Frk, Paterson, Athanasiou getting deals the next year.

We're still waiting for Pulkinnen and Jarnkrok to come over and Jensen to sign.
Cameron who could barely produce in the Q, Torquato who couldnt skate etc. Its obvious you havent watched him if youre going to compare him to those players. He produced over a ppg last year, was a second overall OHL pick and is a solid 2 way player.

Hes one of our best skating prospects and you compare him to Torquato, you let guys like Nestrasil and Coetzee go to make room for young prospects, you dont just let decent young guys walk because you have a lot of decent young guys.

The bi polar Odd Couple of the HF Red Wings board Newfy (loves everything) and Captain Bob (hates everything). Sign these guys up to a Wings radio show.
Definitely dont love everything lol I dont even think Quine is that great of a prospect but when youre questioning if he should get a contract I think its pretty obvious he should based on his skating alone. You dont have to be great to get an NHL contract and play in the minor leagues, but you also shouldnt just let a guy whose putting up over a ppg for 2 years, is good defensively and one of the wings fastest prospects just walk either. But like I said, one of us watch these guys and the other one looks at plus minus.

How many on here would look at the stat sheet and say Ferraro didnt deserve a contract?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I'd say Quine has a 9/10 chance to get a contract. It's not 100% sure but he's very very close. Someone said his offense is questionable? In his 21 games he has 21 points and the Pete's have scored 47 times in those games. That's a point on ~45% of their goals, which is not too bad.

RedWingsNow*

Cameron who could barely produce in the Q, Torquato who couldnt skate etc. Its obvious you havent watched him if youre going to compare him to those players. He produced over a ppg last year, was a second overall OHL pick and is a solid 2 way player.

Hes one of our best skating prospects and you compare him to Torquato, you let guys like Nestrasil and Coetzee go to make room for young prospects, you dont just let decent young guys walk because you have a lot of decent young guys.

Sorry, man, You draw a line somewhere.
You might want to take 5'11 Quine. But 6'2 Nestrasil has something our organization lacks.

Definitely dont love everything lol I dont even think Quine is that great of a prospect but when youre questioning if he should get a contract I think its pretty obvious he should based on his skating alone. You dont have to be great to get an NHL contract and play in the minor leagues, but you also shouldnt just let a guy whose putting up over a ppg for 2 years, is good defensively and one of the wings fastest prospects just walk either. But like I said, one of us watch these guys and the other one looks at plus minus.

How many on here would look at the stat sheet and say Ferraro didnt deserve a contract?

Quine is a good skater. But he's not Helm fast or Athansiou fast. He's not so fast he gets a contract just because.

We've got 51 guys under contract now. We have a 50 contract limit.
Here are the guys whose contracts end in 2013
White. Cleary. Filppula. Howard. Brunner. Smith. Nyquist. Miller. Mursak. Andersson. McCollum. Pare. MacDonald. Pearce. Lashoff. Raedeke.

Guys we may lose without replacing with NHLers -- Cleary. Miller.
49 Contracts.
Prospects/players we cut bait on. Mursak. Pare. Macdonald. Learche. Raedeke. Lashoff.
Down to 43 -- thought I don't think this team cuts Lashoff and Mursak. so maybe we're still as high as 45.

Prospects we haven't signed yet.
Backman. Nedolmlel.Marchenko. Quine. Hudon. Marshall. Jensen.

I see Backman, Marchenko and Jensen ahead of Quine. And maybe Nedomlel, too.

So now we're at 46 or 47 to 48 or 49.

This assumes no other UFA prospects or UFA signings.
There's not much room for Quine.
What if we want a goalie for toledo?

What if we sign Backman and Marchenko but they stay in Europe for a year?

The only thing I can really think of in Quine's favor is that next year, the only decisions we need to make are on Paterson, Athanasiou and Bodin (very little shot). Frk is already signed and Mckee and DeHaas are a long ways away yet.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Sorry, man, You draw a line somewhere.
You might want to take 5'11 Quine. But 6'2 Nestrasil has something our organization lacks.

Quine is a good skater. But he's not Helm fast or Athansiou fast. He's not so fast he gets a contract just because.

We've got 51 guys under contract now. We have a 50 contract limit.
Here are the guys whose contracts end in 2013
White. Cleary. Filppula. Howard. Brunner. Smith. Nyquist. Miller. Mursak. Andersson. McCollum. Pare. MacDonald. Pearce. Lashoff. Raedeke.

The only thing I can really think of in Quine's favor is that next year, the only decisions we need to make are on Paterson, Athanasiou and Bodin (very little shot). Frk is already signed and Mckee and DeHaas are a long ways away yet.

Nestrasil provides nothing to this organization that its currently lacking. Hes a soft, slow big guy and hasnt been able to show hes worth anything other than a roster spot in the ECHL. Quines speed may not be like Helm or Athanasiou but hes a Ferraro type skater and the organization lacks speed more then it lacks whatever you think Nestrasil provides.

Quine is ahead of at least Bodin, Coetzee, Fournier, Hudon, Marshall, Nestrasil, Pare, Pearce, and Raedeke in term of trying to keep in the system. The wings already have to many forwards signed, there will be guys traded from what they have now so those contract numbers will be reduced by probably 3 or 4. They have 6 NHL right wingers, 5 centers and 5 left wingers.

I dont think Quine is some awesome prospect or anything but the chances he'll get a contract are much higher then not. Hes put up pretty damn good numbers, has high end speed which the wings lack, and hes solid defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad