Salary Cap: Red Wings 31.1M cap space

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
We will sign:
- Seider 8.5M
- Raymond 7.0M
- Veleno 1.6M
- Berggren 1.1M

These 4 are the focus. The last two are easy. Veleno and Berggren are easy deals to complete. Veleno has no leverage. I actually see Burger having more leverage, and far more upside (I like him more than others).

NOW, for the big dogs. No way Raymond makes 1.5 less than Mo. An argument can be made for Lucas to get more than Mo. Even Yzerman spoke of his play and emerging status as an impact player. I can't say what they will sign for, but neither will come in under 8 on a long-term deal. Short-term, to get to UFA status, maybe. (I really do not like that Claude LeTurtle is Mo's agent).

I'd sign both for 8 years at $8.5M but I doubt they take it. They may want a year less (to get to UFA status under 30) but this locks up your two core players and keeps them under Larkin (who has a 8.7M cap hit).

Really hope they can trade Veleno - a trade involving him and Holl would be spectacular. We need one more D-man and enough space to allow Mazur/Danielson/Kasper getting serious looks

This "trade" would involve Detroit giving up more picks than they did to dump Walman. I can't imagine a NHL team wanting Holl. Veleno, nice guy, gym rat, and all but he is an easy to find bottom line role player. At best, he offsets Holl and the Wings get "future considerations."

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Really hope they can trade Veleno - a trade involving him and Holl would be spectacular. We need one more D-man and enough space to allow Mazur/Danielson/Kasper getting serious looks

Yeah… I don’t like making a trade to clear a guy to “make sure rookies get serious looks”

If those guys are what we think they are… they should be getting serious looks even if Veleno or Holl or Berggren are still here.

The rookies should not get a gifted “this is your spot to fight for” time. They should be aiming to have guys, especially Kasper and Danielson saying “I want to take Copp’s time. I want to make it a decision between me and the best player on the team, not me and others fighting for scraps.”

I mean, Larkin came in and blew the door off. Raymond came in and blew the door off. Seider was 1D almost immediately.

If the rookies are good enough, they’ll push dead weight off the roster. We simply don’t have boat anchor contracts with four years of term that make it so we have to play Frans Nielsen or Justin Abdelkader anymore.

You want Bergy on the roster, well Bergy should have to outplay Tarasenko, Raymond, Debrincat or Kane to get top 6 minutes if that’s what he needs to succeed. If he can’t, well, see ya Burgers!

Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
If Tarasenko is 3RW, who plays the top 6 winger? I’d love to see this.

Danielson - Larkin - Raymond
Debrincat - Compher - Kane
Berggren - Veleno/Kasper - Tarasenko
Rasmussen- Copp - Fischer

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
So the cap left is around $20 mil at start of june and still has to sign the 3 rfa's. SY seems to want to wait til the last moment. Watching the Kane negotiations made me shake my head.

Anyway why is this taking so long ? I get the sense it is a slow moving train wreck lol.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
So the cap left is around $20 mil at start of june and still has to sign the 3 rfa's. SY seems to want to wait til the last moment. Watching the Kane negotiations made me shake my head.

Anyway why is this taking so long ? I get the sense it is a slow moving train wreck lol.

RFAs historically take time, can't make a player sign a contract. It's likely Yzerman has a bridge deal and a max term deal for both and they are going back and forth on prices. Regardless he has an internal cap for both situations, or if one goes short and one long...etc. The least of the worries should be if those guys will be signed.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

Honestly believe this is as close to the roster as possible. Would still rather veleno get's traded, just not positive that tarasenko is going to play with a complete rookie. Could see kasper getting first call up, copp going in that 3c position and motte with fischer and ras, so essentially this:

Berggren - Copp - Tarasenko
Rasmussen- Fischer - Motte

Danielson can play pretty well defensively and is fast enough to hang with top line players on most teams, including larkin as well. Has the hockey iq to not put himself in terrible situations (minus the inevitable rookie mistakes that larkin and others made). I love this 4th line as a checking, keep it pinned in the o-zone line like last year minus copp. The third line has major potential with scoring with berggren setting up tarasenko and copp doing the dirty work, but i fear it is going to be very slow.

I also wouldn't mind seeing larkin with DBC and Kane with Danielson and Raymond with compher. That way Danielson can trade off with compher for Center duties to get more experience and exposure for him to become that hopeful 2c one day and compher helps insulate danielson more.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

There's no Top6.

It's Top9 or even Top12.

8 forwards will go on the PP, and 4 will specialize for the PK

PK Group
Copp - Motte
Ras/Veleno - Fischer

PP group
Kane, Larkin, Raymond, Compher