Salary Cap: Red Wings 31.1M cap space

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
So do we think the wings will have room for another 8M+ defensemen once Ed and Seider get paid. Is it even feasible if we want a balanced roster?
After seider and Ray there really isn’t anybody to pay for a few years, with us also have our few bad contracts coming off the books. Definitely have room to add an $8 mill d-man

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
After seider and Ray there really isn’t anybody to pay for a few years, with us also have our few bad contracts coming off the books. Definitely have room to add an $8 mill d-man

Pretty much this.

Also think Edvinsson could be a lot cheaper than Seider on his 2nd deal.

Ed isn't getting anyhow the "norris" role Seider was able to do. When Seider is quarterbacking the 1st PP for oncoming years, it's very hard for Edvinsson to score points for a lucrative contract. He'll be the cheap "kronwall" behind "lidström".

Edvinsson's bigger deal is very far in the future. He still has 2 ELC years left.

Reactions: saska sault

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
IMO wings don’t need to make the same mistakes almost all teams are making rushing out to pay guys elite talent money. Go 3-4 years and if they are worth 10+M on their next contract I’ll gladly pay them means we are in great shape. What has that Matthew’s contract benefited anybody but himself that whole duration he was paid top dollar even before he was a top dollar player and saved 1-2M for the last two years? Not to mention the risk of injury or just not being that guy. I just don’t get it

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Just look at that Dhalin contract. Great player but how many years before that becomes a good deal cap wise? And then you have to pay him again anyways?

Best case scenario is Stuzle who is making what he is worth at the moment but not surpassing it really. And then they have to wait closer and closer to when he gets another deal they end up earning way more money. It’s a grift dumb teams like buffalo like to pat themselves on the back for

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
IMO wings don’t need to make the same mistakes almost all teams are making rushing out to pay guys elite talent money. Go 3-4 years and if they are worth 10+M on their next contract I’ll gladly pay them means we are in great shape. What has that Matthew’s contract benefited anybody but himself that whole duration he was paid top dollar even before he was a top dollar player and saved 1-2M for the last two years? Not to mention the risk of injury or just not being that guy. I just don’t get it
The problem with the Matthews deal was he took a bridge at max term dollar value. Had Matthews' 2nd contract been 8 years there would be 3 years left on it now rather than this silly $13.2M one that's kicking off now. It's the max term 2nd contracts like Jack/Quinn Hughes or Heiskanen or Stutzle you should be looking at.

Just look at that Dhalin contract. Great player but how many years before that becomes a good deal cap wise? And then you have to pay him again anyways?

Best case scenario is Stuzle who is making what he is worth at the moment but not surpassing it really. And then they have to wait closer and closer to when he gets another deal they end up earning way more money. It’s a grift dumb teams like buffalo like to pat themselves on the back for
Dahlin, much like Matthews, got bridged. That's why they are as expensive as they are now.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Ok, I'm going to try to update our current roster. Feel free to move wingers and d-men around.

Cat-Larkin-Raymond
Tank-Compher-Kane
Berggren-Copp-Ras
Motte-??? (Veleno? Danielson? Kasper?)-Fischer

Chiarot-Seider
Ed-Gus
Maatta-Petry
Holl/maybe AlJo

Talbot
Husso
Lyon

Campbell/Cossa/Alexander/Whoever else is in GR

Reactions: JoesuffP

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Ok, I'm going to try to update our current roster. Feel free to move wingers and d-men around.

Cat-Larkin-Raymond
Tank-Compher-Kane
Berggren-Copp-Ras
Motte-??? (Veleno? Danielson? Kasper?)-Fischer

Chiarot-Seider
Ed-Gus
Maatta-Petry
Holl/maybe AlJo

Talbot
Husso
Lyon

Campbell/Cossa/Alexander/Whoever else is in GR
One thing to note is that Ray, Kane, and Tarasenko are all pretty much exclusively right wings.

• Love
Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not sure what takes so long with Mo and Ray. Even in the presser today no one even asked him how close they were to signing.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Id put Berggren with Tarasenko on the third line , Florida fan said , he is good with prospects and good defensively , we just don't have third line center, try Veleno there?

Or maybe even Copp. He'll crash the net and corners, when Berg+Tank will do their skill thing.

If you put the 4th line (Motte - Veleno - Fischer) on very small minutes.

Reactions: lilidk

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Or maybe even Copp. He'll crash the net and corners, when Berg+Tank will do their skill thing.

If you put the 4th line (Motte - Veleno - Fischer) on very small minutes.

I think you’re watching a different Copp than the rest of us.

Copp never was or will be a crash the net, bang in the corners player. Put Copp on that line and watch him fumble the puck and spend the rest of his shift defending. The dude should only be a shutdown 4c at this point.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Id put Berggren with Tarasenko on the third line , Florida fan said , he is good with prospects and good defensively , we just don't have third line center, try Veleno there?
Joey V and Berggren did show some chemistry together on a few different line combos, if he is still here I am sure they will try it. I would like to see the GR line of Berggren, Kasper and Masur get an early season crack in the lineup as a kid line too, that group may be ready as an unit.

Reactions: lilidk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Joey V and Berggren did show some chemistry together on a few different line combos, if he is still here I am sure they will try it. I would like to see the GR line of Berggren, Kasper and Masur get an early season crack in the lineup as a kid line too, that group may be ready as an unit.

It was a great pre-season line Kostin - Veleno - Berggren.

Now change Tarasenko there instead of Kostin and watch out....

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020
Really hope they can trade Veleno - a trade involving him and Holl would be spectacular. We need one more D-man and enough space to allow Mazur/Danielson/Kasper getting serious looks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad