Prospect Info: Red Wings 2024 Development Camp Discussion

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I have no problem with Danielson playing the year in GR but if he took on the 3C role and you shifted Copp to LW at times I think that would give our forward corps much better balance.

I will digress, below, but I am thrilled to start seeing more posts on Nate making the big club.

I have been and will continue to say DANIELSON makes the opening day roster as the #2 or #3 center. I kept him at #3, pushing Copp down to #4. He's a ready made center for the Wings system and they are in dire need at this position.

Compher as a #2... I don't like. as a #3 he works. Copp, as a Red Wing, I really don't like. Put the over paid Abby 2.0 on the 4th line. Choose between he and Veleno for the center slot. Begrudgingly, I take Copp. (I am not a big fan of Veleno either.)

Down the middle
Larkin
Danielson
Compher
Copp

Veleno is the 13th forward.

Away from all the flash and highlight stuff, I like what Whipple brought. It's looking like he may be a wonderful pick. From what I've seen, he has the best personality out of all these kids. He is so friendly and outgoing, a real ray of sunshine.

SWEET! I am a huge Whipple fan! Wait until he and Cleveland form the 2nd PK unit and the mess with our forwards, out we come bottom pairing.

I know folks have been a bit silent on #62 in camp, but that is just because they've been awestruck, and Brady is a bit understated in his play.

Brady Cleveland​

Cleveland scored the tournament-winning goal for Team Watson, which is perhaps a shade ironic since it's his game with the puck on his stick that will wind up determining whether he can become an NHL player. As a six-foot-five fluid skating defenseman, he is dripping with upside, but at this point, he simply doesn't handle the puck with the comfort and aptitude necessary to be a functional NHL D man.

stickhandling schmick handling. The kid is sleeping with the twig in Colorado. 3 years from now, he'll be another John Scott (NHL all-star MVP)

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Based on my observations from previous years (when Finnie was a midget player) he is a skilled shoulder first type of player (likes to drive to the net), I have seen lots these kids over the years, and usually they never go far because they never get the size needed to carry on this style of play.

Finnie in his 18 year old season was playing at over 190 pounds (according to Petes), and at least 6' tall now has the size to match his style of play at higher levels.

Coaches will often play their best players at center through the younger ranks, but as a wannabe power forward type, I suspect Finnie will find his success on the wing for the wings in the middle 6 in a few years time.

The addition of a center (a good player) also contributes greatly to the scoresheet stats, I am looking forward to his 19 year old season in the WHL. (Note in his draft year, Finnie was +11 as a center on a good WHL team, so he can be a responsible center, I suspect the coach loaded up a line where they could use Finnie's size with a new center, I don't know for sure, I didn't see any of his games this year)
I liked the way he drove towards the net on the wing. He also looks to have a nice shot. With a pick that late it's hard not to be excited about his potential.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Brady Cleveland​

Cleveland scored the tournament-winning goal for Team Watson, which is perhaps a shade ironic since it's his game with the puck on his stick that will wind up determining whether he can become an NHL player. As a six-foot-five fluid skating defenseman, he is dripping with upside, but at this point, he simply doesn't handle the puck with the comfort and aptitude necessary to be a functional NHL D man.

stickhandling schmick handling. The kid is sleeping with the twig in Colorado. 3 years from now, he'll be another John Scott (NHL all-star MVP)
One thing to keep in mind with that goal is he drove to the net and another player shot the puck and it apparently went in off Cleveland. So while it's nice he used his size to drive the net during a 3v3 tournament, he wasn't exactly dangling fools before burying the puck top shelf over the goaltender's glove hand. That's obviously not his game at all. Overall his skating looked fine.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
One thing to keep in mind with that goal is he drove to the net and another player shot the puck and it apparently went in off Cleveland. So while it's nice he used his size to drive the net during a 3v3 tournament, he wasn't exactly dangling fools before burying the puck top shelf over the goaltender's glove hand. That's obviously not his game at all. Overall his skating looked fine.

Why you ruining my day with facts? hahaha

Seriously, thank you for the report on all the players and on Brady. Pulling for him, and Whipple.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
this Hunter Johannes guy looks good and dominant against this level - college guy so it makes sense. Signed by GRR

Would love to know his full story. Minimal production in three years at AIC (Atlantic Hockey) transfers to Lindenwood and then a year later is playing (and scoring goals) at North Dakota.

Turns 26 in August so not a lot of upside left but it is intriguing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad