Prospect Info: Red Wings 2024 Development Camp Discussion

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
wow she was in a group? never knew that, thought she was strictly a solo artist.
Didn't know that either, but not really surprised. Not on the same level, but bananarama was the background vocals for fun boy three.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Did she come out pre 1981? I remember she was really big when I was like 5-8 years old. I'm just curious if I fall into the old portion of this question or not.

Nevermind, just checked. I was 1 year old when she debuted.

"old man yells at clouds, shaking fists angrily"
From memory, Madge's birthday is in the same year as mine, and she is 2 months older, so technically, I am post Madonna :laugh:

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
From memory, Madge's birthday is in the same year as mine, and she is 2 months older, so technically, I am post Madonna :laugh:

I had thought of making the point her given name at birth was Madonna, and thus technically you had to be born before her in1958 to be a legitimate member of the small (and growing smaller by the day) pre-Madonna club.

Last edited:
Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Who is #56? He had a nice pass for the goal for the red team in game 1. Nice to see MBN display some nice hands on his goal for the first game.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Your dad having an Atari console pre-Madonna is really awesome.
It was mostly just the 70s. :)

I had thought of making the point her given name at birth was Madonna, and thus technically you had to be born before her in1958 to be a legitimate member of the small (and growing smaller by the day) pre-Madonna club.
Ahh, I thought you meant before she hit with Lucky Star. She is indeed a few years older than me.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
A few quick comments on the 3v3 tournament:
  • Happy to see Jakub Kindl at the tournament, he looks like he's doing well.
  • Dylan James and Nate Danielson have some nice chemistry.
  • Nate scoring a few goals doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's sure nice to see.
  • ASP's nickname is "Pelli". He said some people do call him Pelican but he didn't seem to be a fan of that nickname. He didn't really stand out. Decent at finding open space and solid passing.
  • Brennan Ali had a nice assist. I liked what I saw from him.
  • Ross Mitton is a really nice skater. He showed off some impressive wheels and had some nice drives to the net.
  • Max Plante looked nice, decent defensive awareness and passing. Fanned on a good scoring chance and had a few decent shots on net.
  • Forslund looks like a shoot first guy which is fine. Need those guys.
  • The Wings seem to be high on Emmitt Finnie and you can see why with that flow. He scored a few goals. He tore it up in the WHL and he could be a surprise prospect as a 7th rounder. He was interviewed and is very likable IMO. One of his goals came off a nice pass from Jakub Rychlovsky.
  • Hunter Johannes had a nice sequence where he broke up a rush with a solid hit and then turned around and scored a goal on the other end. He scored 3 goals and It sounds like he's hanging around town for as long as he can and it's nice to see his commitment to putting his best foot forward.

Here is Max Bultman's article($) on the prospect tournament.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
It was mostly just the 70s. :)

Ahh, I thought you meant before she hit with Lucky Star. She is indeed a few years older than me.

Soooo many hours spent rolling the score on Space Invaders.

giphy.gif

Reactions: odin1981

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
A few quick comments on the 3v3 tournament:
  • Happy to see Jakub Kindl at the tournament, he looks like he's doing well.
  • Dylan James and Nate Danielson have some nice chemistry.
  • Nate scoring a few goals doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's sure nice to see.
  • ASP's nickname is "Pelli". He said some people do call him Pelican but he didn't seem to be a fan of that nickname. He didn't really stand out. Decent at finding open space and solid passing.
  • Brennan Ali had a nice assist. I liked what I saw from him.
  • Ross Mitton is a really nice skater. He showed off some impressive wheels and had some nice drives to the net.
  • Max Plante looked nice, decent defensive awareness and passing. Fanned on a good scoring chance and had a few decent shots on net.
  • Forslund looks like a shoot first guy which is fine. Need those guys.
  • The Wings seem to be high on Emmitt Finnie and you can see why with that flow. He scored a few goals. He tore it up in the WHL and he could be a surprise prospect as a 7th rounder. He was interviewed and is very likable IMO. One of his goals came off a nice pass from Jakub Rychlovsky.
  • Hunter Johannes had a nice sequence where he broke up a rush with a solid hit and then turned around and scored a goal on the other end. He scored 3 goals and It sounds like he's hanging around town for as long as he can and it's nice to see his commitment to putting his best foot forward.

Here is Max Bultman's article($) on the prospect tournament.
Finnie did not tear up the WHL last year. He had a solid season, nothing more.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He led his (bad) team in scoring by 16 points.
Like I said. He didn't tear up the WHL. You are too easily impressed, which will set you up for disappointment further down the road.

Like I said he had a solid season and has some NHL projectible traits. He played well enough to earn a contract. Don't read any more into it than that.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
He led his (bad) team in scoring by 16 points.

And he did it playing 16 more games than the next guy, Keller. an energetic little center they acquired in a trade who's gone undrafted twice. That trade allowed Finnie to move from C to RW and they clicked immediately, Finnie going on that great consecutive game point streak. Overall, he and undrafted Keller produced at an almost identical rate on their bad team. Finnie's a nice prospect and might have a lot more in him, Wings seem to think so by signing him so quickly and then bringing him to GR, but let's not get carried away by claiming he tore up the WHL. Maybe next year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It was really interesting, how much the positional change did affect on Finnie's scoring.

This could be very interesting note on the big picture overall, when rating prospects from junior leagues.

Finnie absolutely struggled to score as a Center, but thriwed as a winger. I accidendally found this at last season, when Finnie starter to score at mid-january and then went to look at his WHL-stats.

You can see the Faceoffs amounts from the player profile, game-by-game, and when he takes Faceoffs like from 6 to 25 in a single match, he is clearly a Center and when he takes 0 to 5, he is a winger. These faceoff amount had a major change on January 15th = positional change. I also found some proof for this from the roster lineups.

In there games with 5 or less Faceoffs, since January 15th, he scored:
25 games, 14 goals, 23 assists = 37 points.
1.48 points per game.

When having more faceoffs and playing as a Center, he scored:
35 games, 5 goals+17 = 18 points
0.51 points per game

He was scoring almost 3-times more as a winger.

Does he transfer too defensive at Center role? Or, will he just explode as all-offensive winger? Don't know. Interesting to see where this will develop.

Imo, this is more interesting in big picture, how high-scoring wingers could be generally overrated, and defensively solid Centers underrated, in junior leagues.

Last edited:

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
It was really interesting, how much the positional change did affect on Finnie's scoring.

This could be very interesting note on the big picture overall, when rating prospects from junior leagues.

Finnie absolutely struggled to score as a Center, but thriwed as a winger. I accidendally found this at last season, when Finnie starter to score at mid-january and then went to look at his WHL-stats.

You can see the Faceoffs amounts from the player profile, game-by-game, and when he takes Faceoffs like from 6 to 25 in a single match, he is clearly a Center and when he takes 0 to 5, he is a winger. These faceoff amount had a major change on January 15th = positional change. I also found some proof for this from the roster lineups.

In there games with 5 or less Faceoffs, since January 15th, he scored:
25 games, 14 goals, 23 assists = 37 points.
1.48 points per game.

When having more faceoffs and playing as a Center, he scored:
35 games, 5 goals+17 = 18 points
0.51 points per game

He was scoring 3-times more as a winger.

Does he go too defensive at Center role, or just explode as all-offensive winger. Don't know. Interesting to see where this will develop.

Imo, this is more interesting in big picture, how high-scoring wingers could be generally overrated, and defensively solid Centers underrated, in junior leagues.
Based on my observations from previous years (when Finnie was a midget player) he is a skilled shoulder first type of player (likes to drive to the net), I have seen lots these kids over the years, and usually they never go far because they never get the size needed to carry on this style of play.

Finnie in his 18 year old season was playing at over 190 pounds (according to Petes), and at least 6' tall now has the size to match his style of play at higher levels.

Coaches will often play their best players at center through the younger ranks, but as a wannabe power forward type, I suspect Finnie will find his success on the wing for the wings in the middle 6 in a few years time.

The addition of a center (a good player) also contributes greatly to the scoresheet stats, I am looking forward to his 19 year old season in the WHL. (Note in his draft year, Finnie was +11 as a center on a good WHL team, so he can be a responsible center, I suspect the coach loaded up a line where they could use Finnie's size with a new center, I don't know for sure, I didn't see any of his games this year)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Based on my observations from previous years (when Finnie was a midget player) he is a skilled shoulder first type of player (likes to drive to the net), I have seen lots these kids over the years, and usually they never go far because they never get the size needed to carry on this style of play.

Finnie in his 18 year old season was playing at over 190 pounds (according to Petes), and at least 6' tall now has the size to match his style of play at higher levels.

Coaches will often play their best players at center through the younger ranks, but as a wannabe power forward type, I suspect Finnie will find his success on the wing for the wings in the middle 6 in a few years time.

The addition of a center (a good player) also contributes greatly to the scoresheet stats, I am looking forward to his 19 year old season in the WHL. (Note in his draft year, Finnie was +11 as a center on a good WHL team, so he can be a responsible center, I suspect the coach loaded up a line where they could use Finnie's size with a new center, I don't know for sure, I didn't see any of his games this year)
He will be our best prospect in whl next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad