Movies: Rebel Moon (2023) Zack Snyder space opera on Netflix

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Heard some god awful things about this movie, but I'll probably still check it out for myself.

I've recently watched two Neil Breen movies, so Rebel Moon will probably feel like Citizen Kane in space in comparison. lol
Neil Breen movies are so bad that they are good in the sense that they are really funny to watch and dissect. That's not the case with this movie.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
You guys don’t like this one? But I was told sci-fi fans would think it was good despite critics nearly unanimously thinking it was terrible

Reactions: DaaaaB's

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Dude I'd take Michael Bay any f***ing day. There's a lot of garbage in Michael Bay's filmography, but you also get some just fun action movies a la Bad Boys, The Rock, Pain and Gain, etc.

Snyder has like... I guess Dawn of the Dead (I don't like it but being as generous as possible)?
The Rock is the only Bay movie I genuinely like.

I can't think of a single Snyder movie that I have strong positive feelings for.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I didn't really like 300 that much. I remember it more for the memes tbh
300 found a way of toeing the line between being incredibly homophobic and gay at the same time.

Absolute brutal film - completely unwatchable and I felt like I was taking crazy pills in the mid 2000s with everyone around me loving it.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
300 and Watchmen are good. Both have flaws, but are still good over-all. Everything Snyder has done since then has been various degrees of terrible.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
A movie like 300 was not a masterpiece but it was at least fun.

Snyder just seems stuck in a teenage phase where he thinks that making movies brooding and dark, makes them seem more mature and adult.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I watched about an hour of it downloaded for the cruise I'm on and it's a bunch of decent Sci fi action scenes with the most paper thin pretext for it all. Really don't feel like watching the rest.

Beantown Beatdown

Sep 10, 2007
Hamilton
Just finished it. It’s pretty bad. Snyder needs a new schtick. The whole dark and brooding, with slo-mo shots is cool once, maybe twice. But it’s grown very tiresome. It tries so hard to be a Star Wars clone, however Star Wars set the bar the bar way to high and this doesn’t even come close.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Looks like Snyder is not done with this as he is now putting out a podcast tale explaining the origins of the robot warrior in the movies

Also both movies are getting director's cuts that have more gore etc come August 2

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Looks like Snyder is not done with this as he is now putting out a podcast tale explaining the origins of the robot warrior in the movies

Also both movies are getting director's cuts that have more gore etc come August 2

The podcast thing is very weird. Even weirder is that it has a decent cast list, Ella Purnell, Jason Isaacs, Naveen Andrews, not like super A list, but certainly not no names either.

The "first drafts" of these movies that came out were not great, hell definitely don't go into even the "good" category even for me, but they were watchable. I watch most anything in this type of genre though, even if Zack Snyder's take on space opera feels a whole heck of a lot like "300" which I don't really like. I'll be watching the extended editions next month though to see if they are any better. Alot of it felt super rushed and hammy, so the extended editions MAY improve the movies quite a bit.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
At this point I'm convinced he does this on purpose just to remain relevant. What was the last movie he made that was actually good right away? Man of Steel? That was over a decade ago now.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
At this point I'm convinced he does this on purpose just to remain relevant. What was the last movie he made that was actually good right away? Man of Steel? That was over a decade ago now.
IDK... I think a lot of these streaming 200m budget movies are just bad business. They don't really drive subscriptions. They (obviously) don't make anything at the box office. I just don't think it's a business model that makes sense.

What is the last streaming "hit"? Movie not TV show.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
IDK... I think a lot of these streaming 200m budget movies are just bad business. They don't really drive subscriptions. They (obviously) don't make anything at the box office. I just don't think it's a business model that makes sense.

What is the last streaming "hit"? Movie not TV show.
The Irishman maybe?

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I tried watching this back in the winter but couldn't make it thru because it's terrible. Snyder is such a bad filmmaker.

Reading thru this thread I laughed pretty hard at people saying audience scores are a good indicator of whether a movie is good or not. It's absolutely not a good indicator, the masses have terrible taste in entertainment and most already have their mind made up before they even see the movie. Almost every movie is liked by at least 70% of Google users and as already mentioned by MMC you can like a movie and still admit it's not very good.

• Love
Reactions: MMC

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
The Irishman maybe?
Feels like one of those "good reviews not a lot of people watched" type things. I was thinking Glass Onion even though reviews were middling at least had some buzz. I of course like any distinguished gentleman loved The Killer but that one definitely wasn't a hit.

Probably Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F, which came out earlier this month. It had a $150M budget.
Fair. Still not sure it's a "drive subscriptions" hit or just a "hey cool a new movie on the service I already pay for" hit, but that's probably splitting hairs too much on my end.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I watched part 1 of the extended cut. Easy bar to clear, but it's MUCH better than the original. Story is actually coherent at least. It's no cinematic heavyweight, it's still a popcorn movie that's trying waaaay too hard, but it much more cohesive, paced better, and overall just makes more sense.

The Rebel Moon director’s cuts are a lesson in how not to start a franchise

Good article outlining what I was trying to say. The first cuts where half a film chopped up seemingly nearly at random. It doesn't make these movies great, but it certainly makes them actual films. 2nd part was less improved from the extended cut (I've now watched it as well) but both parts are considerably better.

I was reading the Snyder still plans to return to Rebel Moon franchise with tentative plans for Rebel Moon 3 to enter pre-production in late 2025 eyeing a 2026 or 2027 release date. We'll see if that happens. If it does, hopefully they'll learn from the completely botched execution of this release.

Last edited:
Reactions: Satans Hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad