Really Miss Vince Lascheid's Organ

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Watching old Pens games from decades ago, my god, the in game between action entertainment was so so much better.
I really miss the prominent role the organ played, I don't know who 'polled' people and decided the organ was too old fashioned. This is a problem at all rinks, but it really sticks out to me with the Penguins.
The Pirates at least play recordings, the Pens do not and it stinks!

Is anybody with me, and also, WHERE can I find a compilation of his tunes for the Penguins?
I have seen a few here and there on youtube, but nothing comprehensive with his polka tunes that made a Pens home game on TV so distinct.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Lascheid often had clever walk up songs for Pirates and visitors alike before the players started picking their own.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I agree. Live organists were a fun part of going to sporting events for a long time. It's a shame they are going the way of the dinosaur.

Yea somewhere in the 2000's some idiot sports marketing folks decided that they needed to manufacture excitement. That lead to Gary Glitter's Rock and Roll being played at decibel levels nearing a 747 jet takeoff at every break in play.

I miss the days of people (not video prompts) banging on the seats/billboards of "LET'S GO PENS". It was genuine excitement and energy in the building. Now it's all fake and people can see right through it. But hey- revenues are through the roof and that's all that matters!

<get off my lawn>

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Watching old Pens games from decades ago, my god, the in game between action entertainment was so so much better.
I really miss the prominent role the organ played, I don't know who 'polled' people and decided the organ was too old fashioned. This is a problem at all rinks, but it really sticks out to me with the Penguins.

Is anybody with me, and also, WHERE can I find a compilation of his tunes for the Penguins?
I have seen a few here and there on youtube, but nothing comprehensive with his polka tunes that made a Pens home game on TV so distinct.
Anyone remember Harry the Whale?

Vince was a legend.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
i remember there where 3 (big boned) ladies that sat about 3 rows up from the ice. one day they were picked for score-o. when the started to walk out on to the ice , Vince played the "elephant waltz." i almost roll out of my seat. now a days there would of been a big lawsuit. and V.L. would be history:laugh:
+ for score-o. After watching mostly crappy Pens teams or crappy teams + Mario, it was a relaxing break between periods to hear Vince.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Watched some mid 70's Pen's game lately. WIth the Blue jerseys. Weird to see different color helmets on the Penguins players. Some had a dark navy blue helmet, while others had a much lighter shade of blue. Strange to see the lack of uniformity.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Watched some mid 70's Pen's game lately. WIth the Blue jerseys. Weird to see different color helmets on the Penguins players. Some had a dark navy blue helmet, while others had a much lighter shade of blue. Strange to see the lack of uniformity.
But you can’t deny it’s sweet that players had their own theme music then, like Battleship Bob.

Reactions: td_ice

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Some things should be left in the past.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I remember Vince occasionally playing Three Blind Mice, for the refs.
Same. It was always fun to go and hear him play at games in part because my dad was (and is) a piano/keyboard enthusiast and having my dad do a running commentary on the musical choices was a treat when we there together. :laugh:

I really miss those local, personal touches, tbh. The canned music choices at games has never sat well with me.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
induvialisum and freedom was big back then. instead of all the group think today.:nod:
edit; that and they were cheap.:laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Same. It was always fun to go and hear him play at games in part because my dad was (and is) a piano/keyboard enthusiast and having my dad do a running commentary on the musical choices was a treat when we there together. :laugh:

I really miss those local, personal touches, tbh. The canned music choices at games has never sat well with me.

I’ve always wanted to write a book about the hockey organ. What a great thing.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Anyone remember Harry the Whale?

Vince was a legend.
now you are talking! Harry the Whale was a legend, though he passed away in 2018.

it was better. And having John Barbero instead of that goof now was icing on the cake.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
now you are talking! Harry the Whale was a legend, though he passed away in 2018.

it was better. And having John Barbero instead of that goof now was icing on the cake.
RIP Harry.

Sometimes he was the only thing to look forward to at a Pens games. He lightened the mood when things got ugly.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada

Barbero is the best PA announcer to ever turn on a microphone.

His calls were legendary and were a vital part of what made Penguins hockey so damn fun!! Even when we sucked.

I still don’t know the name of the annoying dolt we have now. Me and the Mrs. have always just called him “that f***ing monster truck MAYHEM guy” because that’s what he’s always sounded like… :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: edog37 and td_ice

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Barbero is the best PA announcer to ever turn on a microphone.

His calls were legendary and were a vital part of what made Penguins hockey so damn fun!! Even when we sucked.

I still don’t know the name of the annoying dolt we have now. Me and the Mrs. have always just called him “that f***ing monster truck MAYHEM guy” because that’s what he’s always sounded like… :rolleyes:

From what I remember, current guy asked if they wanted him to sound more like Barbero or the monster truck voice he uses and they wanted the latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad