Realignment II: Well, why not, we've got another year to kill

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Still think it's crazy to put WPG in a division with no other CDN teams. You can slide them in with either the eastern CDN clubs one timezone east, or the western ones two timezones west. Leaving them alone in a crap division like this proposed Central is going to hurt the team.

Certainly have to agree with that. One reason for why a radical re-alignment is being seriously considered is obviously that teams like Minnesota aren't happy with their current alignment, and that Vancouver hasn't wanted to be separated from the Alberta teams and put in the Pacific Division, in order to make the Northwest only a 2 Time Zone Division. But if they're going to separate Winnipeg from all other Canadian teams, 4 of which are only 1 Time Zone away, it is clearly exchanging one alignment disadvantage for another. And who knows yet what other teams would be separated by a 4-Division setup in the East.

Clearly the biggest obstacle for Winnipeg is the League's apparent unwillingness to allow an Eastern Conference (or that one Conference) to have anything more than 1 Time Zone. Regardless of how they divide up the Divisions, it appears that the one Conference could still have 4 Time Zones while the other only has one. With a more balanced schedule that might not make so much difference in the Regular Season, but the significant difference would still exist in the Playoffs. But on the other hand, a more balanced schedule would also likely mean that not only would Winnipeg (in a Central Division) be separated from all other Canadian teams, but also not play any of those teams more than 2 in the Season,.... whereas with the current schedule Winnipeg would at least play all those western Canadian teams 4 times each.

Winnipeg could, if the League saw fit to make such an alignment, be in a Division either with some combination of:
Edmonton, Calgary, Minnesota, Colorado, Chicago....
or in a Division with some combination of:
Ottawa, Toronto, Detroit, Chicago, Minnesota....

RandR

May 15, 2011
Still think it's crazy to put WPG in a division with no other CDN teams. You can slide them in with either the eastern CDN clubs one timezone east, or the western ones two timezones west. Leaving them alone in a crap division like this proposed Central is going to hurt the team.
If it happens then I think it is because no American team would want Winnipeg with 3 other Canadian teams in their division (I don't blame them). The most likely candidate to be in that situation would be Minnesota, yet look at how tickled pink they (Leipold) are about this potential Central Division
I think that is a grand slam, home run, hat trick for our team.

NHL Realignment: Minnesota Wild Owner Spills Beans On 'Central Division'

Yes, it sucks for Winnipeg, but they're the new kid on the block, so they are last in line for getting what they want out of realignment. I am sure they would rather be with 3 other Canadian teams, but it's not all bad for them ... Minnesota is close, Chicago will be a big draw (especially with Toews being from Winnipeg), and the vast majority of their road divisional games will be in their time zone.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
If it happens then I think it is because no American team would want Winnipeg with 3 other Canadian teams in their division (I don't blame them). The most likely candidate to be in that situation would be Minnesota, yet look at how tickled pink they (Leipold) are about this potential Central Division

NHL Realignment: Minnesota Wild Owner Spills Beans On 'Central Division'

Yes, it sucks for Winnipeg, but they're the new kid on the block, so they are last in line for getting what they want out of realignment. I am sure they would rather be with 3 other Canadian teams, but it's not all bad for them ... Minnesota is close, Chicago will be a big draw (especially with Toews being from Winnipeg), and the vast majority of their road divisional games will be in their time zone.

Doesn't have to be 3 other Canadian teams. Two other or even just one other is certainly feasible...
- Winnipeg and the Alberta teams (Vancouver is left alone with the PTZ teams, but what's the dif, other than Vancouver being a bigger city with probably less dependence on having a Canadian rival in the Division.
- Winnipeg with the Ontario teams (Montreal left alone with Boston and the NY teams).
- Or Winnipeg with Edmonton, Calgary with Vancouver...
- Or Winnipeg with Toronto, Ottawa with Montreal...

Obviously a 6-Division setup allows for more flexibililty in this regard.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
NYR, NYI, NJ, Phi, Was, Pit
Bos, Mtl, Ott, Tor, Buf
Det, Clb, Car, TB, Fla
Chi, Min, Dal, StL, Nas
Van, Edm, Cal, Wpg
SJ, LA, Ana, Col, Phx

RandR

May 15, 2011
Doesn't have to be 3 other Canadian teams. Two other or even just one other is certainly feasible...
- Winnipeg and the Alberta teams (Vancouver is left alone with the PTZ teams, but what's the dif, other than Vancouver being a bigger city with probably less dependence on having a Canadian rival in the Division.
- Winnipeg with the Ontario teams (Montreal left alone with Boston and the NY teams).
- Or Winnipeg with Edmonton, Calgary with Vancouver...
- Or Winnipeg with Toronto, Ottawa with Montreal...

Obviously a 6-Division setup allows for more flexibililty in this regard.
Going west, they would never split Calgary from Edmonton. Putting the Jets with just the 2 Alberta teams could be feasible, but none of the more western Canadian teams would like that (Alberta teams wouldn't want to switch Vancouver for Winnipeg nor would Vancouver want to lose the Alberta teams).

Going east, it could be feasible for Winnipeg to join a division with just the Leafs (or Leafs and Ottawa). However, in either case, the Leafs would never want to switch Montreal for Winnipeg.

I think the problem is that in all of the above scenarios, somebody else would be less happy in order to suit Winnipeg. That would act as a deterrent.

I disagree that 6 divisions would make it easier to deal with Winnipeg; having larger divisions means that, for example, the Leafs wouldn't have to lose Montreal in order for Winnipeg to join them. In any case, 4 divisions has multiple advantages for dealing with the longstanding complaints in the league that predate Winnipeg's entry and at least some of those are taking priority anyway.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Going west, they would never split Calgary from Edmonton. Putting the Jets with just the 2 Alberta teams could be feasible, but none of the more western Canadian teams would like that (Alberta teams wouldn't want to switch Vancouver for Winnipeg nor would Vancouver want to lose the Alberta teams).

Going east, it could be feasible for Winnipeg to join a division with just the Leafs (or Leafs and Ottawa). However, in either case, the Leafs would never want to switch Montreal for Winnipeg.

I think the problem is that in all of the above scenarios, somebody else would be less happy in order to suit Winnipeg. That would act as a deterrent.

I disagree that 6 divisions would make it easier to deal with Winnipeg; having larger divisions means that, for example, the Leafs wouldn't have to lose Montreal in order for Winnipeg to join them. In any case, 4 divisions has multiple advantages for dealing with the longstanding complaints in the league that predate Winnipeg's entry and at least some of those are taking priority anyway.

You already cancelled out any alternative, you don't need to specifically say that a 6-Division setup wouldn't be easier. What doesn't work is a League trying to give certain teams more what they want, with other teams getting less what they want. It's the same old bull****.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Det, Bos, Chi, Mtl, Buf, Stl, Min, Tor, Ott

Was, Phi, Pit, TB, Nas, Dal, NYR, Car, NJ, Clb, NYI, Fla

Van, SJ, Ana, Phx, LA, Cal, Wpg, Col, Edm

RandR

May 15, 2011
What doesn't work is a League trying to give certain teams more what they want, with other teams getting less what they want. It's the same old bull****.
Do you really think there is a solution that will give every single one of the 30 governors exactly what they want? I don't. :shakehead

And the status quo isn't a long-term solution either (Winnipeg in the Southeast is obviously temporary.)

It is inevitable that some teams will come out of the re-alignment happier than others. I like the approach the league is taking... by doing something more dramatic than a bandaid, they can address more issues so that even though not everyone will get to be in exactly which division they want, hopefully the mutual benefits will mean that everyone is better off to some degree.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Do you really think there is a solution that will give every single one of the 30 governors exactly what they want? I don't. :shakehead

And the status quo isn't a long-term solution either (Winnipeg in the Southeast is obviously temporary.)

It is inevitable that some teams will come out of the re-alignment happier than others. I like the approach the league is taking... by doing something more dramatic than a bandaid, they can address more issues so that even though not everyone will get to be in exactly which division they want, hopefully the mutual benefits will mean that everyone is better off to some degree.

Who used the word, "exactly"? I said, giving certain teams "more what they want", and others "less what they want". Of course every team can't get exactly what it wants, though some teams do seem to come very close, and yet if you try to tamper even a little with that... NO WAY, you can't do that!

RandR

May 15, 2011
Who used the word, "exactly"? I said, giving certain teams "more what they want", and others "less what they want". Of course every team can't get exactly what it wants, though some teams do seem to come very close, and yet if you try to tamper even a little with that... NO WAY, you can't do that!
I wasn't quoting you, so feel free to remove the word "exactly" from the point I was making.

Sorry we disagree on this topic so fundamentally. :)

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Phi, Was, Pit, Car, TB, Fla, Nas, Dal
NYR, NYI, NJ, Det, Clb, Chi, Stl
Bos, Mtl, Ott, Tor, Buf, Min, Wpg
Van, Edm, Cal, SJ, LA, Ana, Col, Phx

TruthDeliveryVehicle*

I agree. The NHL going to make itself into a joke with weird alignment just to try to satisfy every team's concerns. There are some issues with the current alignment that affect multiple teams and it makes sense to address them. There are also some teams with issues that cannot be avoided because of geography and higher priorities.

Teams like Dallas, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Colorado will always be at a disadvantage due to where they are situated. They had to consider this before basing their franchises out of these cities.

Some franchises will have some natural seniority in getting what they want since they are more crucial to the league's success overall. You can't afford to have a very unhappy owner in Detroit, Toronto or Boston, etc. These are the teams that are paying a lot of the NHL's bills, so they're likely not going to pick their battles with them.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I wasn't quoting you, so feel free to remove the word "exactly" from the point I was making.

Sorry we disagree on this topic so fundamentally. :)

Let's do this, RandR.... Let's start by allotting each team in the League at least one "rival", and try, if it's OK, not to grade the degree of the rivalry (we all know that some rivalries are bigger than others, it's the same in every League).

And certainly not limit the rival list to just one, because certain teams do have more than 1 rival,... just as long as it can reasonably be claimed that the teams do have a rivalry.

Here, I'll start off with at least the list of teams...
TEAMS and their Rivals (at least 1 per team, maximum 29 ;) , rivals in no specific order):
Anaheim Ducks (
Boston Bruins (
Buffalo Sabres (
Calgary Flames (
Carolina Hurricanes (
Chicago Blackhawks (
Colorado Avalanche (
Columbus Blue Jackets (
Dallas Stars (
Detroit Red Wings (
Edmonton OIlers (
Florida Panthers (
Los Angeles Kings (
Minnesota Wild (
Montreal Canadiens (
Nashville Predators (
New Jersey Devils (
New Rork Islanders (
New York Rangers (
Ottawa Senators (
Philadelphia Flyers (
Phoenix Coyotes (
Pittsburgh Penguins (
Saint Louis Blues (
San Jose Sharks (
Tampa Bay Lightning (
Toronto Maple Leafs (
Vancouver Canucks (
Washington Capitals (
Winnipeg Jets (

RandR

May 15, 2011
Let's do this, RandR.... Let's start by allotting each team in the League at least one "rival", and try, if it's OK, not to grade the degree of the rivalry (we all know that some rivalries are bigger than others, it's the same in every League).

And certainly not limit the rival list to just one, because certain teams do have more than 1 rival,... just as long as it can reasonably be claimed that the teams do have a rivalry.

Here, I'll start off with at least the list of teams...
TEAMS and their Rivals (at least 1 per team, maximum 29 ;) , rivals in no specific order):

Anaheim Ducks ( Kings )
Boston Bruins ( Canadiens, Rangers )
Buffalo Sabres ( Canadiens , Bruins )
Calgary Flames ( Oilers )
Carolina Hurricanes (
Chicago Blackhawks ( RedWings )
Colorado Avalanche (
Columbus Blue Jackets (
Dallas Stars (
Detroit Red Wings ( Blackhawks, Leafs )
Edmonton OIlers ( Flames )
Florida Panthers ( Lightning )
Los Angeles Kings ( Ducks )
Minnesota Wild (
Montreal Canadiens ( Leafs, Bruins )
Nashville Predators (
New Jersey Devils ( Rangers )
New York Islanders ( Rangers )
New York Rangers ( Islanders, Devils )
Ottawa Senators ( Leafs, Canadiens )
Philadelphia Flyers ( Penguins, Rangers )
Phoenix Coyotes (
Pittsburgh Penguins ( Flyers )
Saint Louis Blues (
San Jose Sharks ( Kings )
Tampa Bay Lightning ( Panthers )
Toronto Maple Leafs ( Canadiens, RedWings )
Vancouver Canucks (
Washington Capitals (
Winnipeg Jets (

Sure, for fun's sack... why not! :nod:

I added a bunch of rivalries ... the obvious ones where multiple teams are within a short drive, a few historic rivalries, and a couple places that I happen to know (I grew up near Buffalo on the Canadian side and went to a lot of Sabre games in my younger days.)

I really don't know who the rivalries are for many teams. And some rivalries could be one seen as stronger in one city than the other. (eg- Original six teams are rivals to many, but it may not always be mutual.)

Did you want to fill in the rest?

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico

Anaheim Ducks ( Kings )
Boston Bruins ( Canadiens, Rangers )
Buffalo Sabres ( Canadiens , Bruins )
Calgary Flames ( Oilers )
Carolina Hurricanes (
Chicago Blackhawks ( RedWings )
Colorado Avalanche (
Columbus Blue Jackets (
Dallas Stars (
Detroit Red Wings ( Blackhawks, Leafs )
Edmonton OIlers ( Flames )
Florida Panthers ( Lightning )
Los Angeles Kings ( Ducks )
Minnesota Wild (
Montreal Canadiens ( Leafs, Bruins )
Nashville Predators (
New Jersey Devils ( Rangers )
New York Islanders ( Rangers )
New York Rangers ( Islanders, Devils )
Ottawa Senators ( Leafs, Canadiens )
Philadelphia Flyers ( Penguins, Rangers )
Phoenix Coyotes (
Pittsburgh Penguins ( Flyers )
Saint Louis Blues (
San Jose Sharks ( Kings )
Tampa Bay Lightning ( Panthers )
Toronto Maple Leafs ( Canadiens, RedWings )
Vancouver Canucks (
Washington Capitals (
Winnipeg Jets (

Sure, for fun's sack... why not! :nod:

I added a bunch of rivalries ... the obvious ones where multiple teams are within a short drive, a few historic rivalries, and a couple places that I happen to know (I grew up near Buffalo on the Canadian side and went to a lot of Sabre games in my younger days.)

I really don't know who the rivalries are for many teams. And some rivalries could be one seen as stronger in one city than the other. (eg- Original six teams are rivals to many, but it may not always be mutual.)

Did you want to fill in the rest?

Getting a lot more varied answers here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=953891

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
NYR, NYI, NJ, Phi, Was, Pit, Clb, Det
Bos, Mtl, Ott, Tor, Buf, Car, TB, Fla

Chi, Nas, StL, Min, Dal
Van, Edm, Cal, Wpg
SJ, LA, Ana, Col, Phx

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
That's okay.

I'm not sure where this is leading unless you're trying to make a point that not everyone will agree on realignment or rivalries. (I don't disagree with that point; I've made the same point myself here.)

Results from the first 100 Posts (rivals included if mentioned from both sides):

Team Rivals

Anaheim Ducks (San Jose, Los Angeles, Detroit,
Boston Bruins (Montreal, Toronto, Philadelphia, Dallas,
Buffalo Sabres (Toronto, Ottawa,
Calgary Flames (Vancouver, Edmonton ?,
Carolina Hurricanes (New Jersey, Florida,
Chicago Blackhawks (St Louis, Detroit, Vancouver,
Colorado Avalanche ( ?,
Columbus Blue Jackets (St Louis,
Dallas Stars (Boston, San Jose,
Detroit Red Wings (Toronto, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Anaheim, San Jose,
Edmonton Oilers (Calgary ?,
Florida Panthers (Carolina, Tampa Bay ?,
Los Angeles Kings (Anaheim, San Jose,
Minnesota Wild ( ?,
Montreal Canadiens (Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Rangers,
Nashville Predators (St Louis,
New Jersey Devils (Rangers, Philadelphia, Carolina,
New York Islanders (Rangers, Pittsburgh,
New York Rangers (New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington, Montreal, Islanders,
Ottawa Senators (Toronto, Buffalo, Montreal, Pittsburgh,
Philadelphia Flyers (Pittsburgh, Rangers, New Jersey, Boston,
Phoenix Coyotes ( ?,
Pittsburgh Penguins (Philadelphia, Washington, Rangers, Detroit, Ottawa, Islanders,
St Louis Blues (Nashville, Chicago, Columbus,
San Jose Sharks (Los Angeles, Anaheim, Dallas, Detroit,
Tampa Bay Lightning (Florida ?,
Toronto Maple Leafs (Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo, Detroit, Boston,
Vancouver Canucks (Calgary, Chicago,
Washington Capitals (Pittsburgh, Rangers,
Winnipeg Jets ( ?,

Teams more than 1 Time Zone away are in Red.

So, the point being that those teams with multiple rivals can do without some of those rivals in their Division in order that other teams can be in a Division with at least one rival or two.

I'll update after another few pages of posts.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
2) With a 14/16 split, both Detroit and Columbus in the East, no anticipated eastern Expansion or Relocation sites:
PACIFIC | MIDWEST | | NORTHEAST | SOUTHEAST
Edmonton | Winnipeg | | Montreal | Columbus
Calgary | Minnesota | | Ottawa | Pittsburgh
Vancouver | Chicago | | Toronto | Philadelphia
San Jose | Nashville | | Buffalo | Washington
Los Angeles | St Louis | | NY Islanders | Carolina
Anaheim | Dallas | | NY Rangers | Tampa Bay
Phoenix | Colorado | | New Jersey | Florida
| | | Boston/Detroit | Detroit/Boston

Detroit and Boston are variables in the 2nd Option.
This is beginning to grow on me. The basic problem is that there are more eastern teams than western teams, so you CAN'T have balanced 15/15 east/west without putting Detroit and/or Columbus in the Midwest... deal with it.

The other thing to consider is that, barring unforseen circumstances, this is the last year for the Phoenix Coyotes. Either their fate will have to be decided before the BOG votes on the final realignment, or else the BOG will have to vote on Plan A and Plan B alignments. How do we handle the various possible outcomes?

In the unlikely event that the Coyotes are saved, or Paul Allen allows the team into Portland, there are no changes to MoreOrr's alignment.

If the Coyotes fold (or are "suspended") Colorado moves to the Pacific, and one (or both if you want "balanced") of Detroit/Columbus move to the Midwest.

If Coyotes move to KC or Houston, they go into the Midwest and Colorado goes to the Pacific.

If Coyotes go east (Quebec/Hamilton/wherever), then Colorado goes to Pacific and one or both of Detroit/Columbus go to the Midwest.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
This is beginning to grow on me. The basic problem is that there are more eastern teams than western teams, so you CAN'T have balanced 15/15 east/west without putting Detroit and/or Columbus in the Midwest... deal with it.

The other thing to consider is that, barring unforseen circumstances, this is the last year for the Phoenix Coyotes. Either their fate will have to be decided before the BOG votes on the final realignment, or else the BOG will have to vote on Plan A and Plan B alignments. How do we handle the various possible outcomes?

In the unlikely event that the Coyotes are saved, or Paul Allen allows the team into Portland, there are no changes to MoreOrr's alignment.

If the Coyotes fold (or are "suspended") Colorado moves to the Pacific, and one (or both if you want "balanced") of Detroit/Columbus move to the Midwest.

If Coyotes move to KC or Houston, they go into the Midwest and Colorado goes to the Pacific.

If Coyotes go east (Quebec/Hamilton/wherever), then Colorado goes to Pacific and one or both of Detroit/Columbus go to the Midwest.

The problem w/ the above post is this: It has been stressed that no NHL Franchise can be suspended or folded, knorthern, since the NHL owns the franchise.... if it was Pittsburgh and Buffalo would no longer be hockey markets after bankruptcy protection in which the league stepped in temporarily until an owner was found...

The inherent problem isn't Colorado, but Dallas being in a division made up of the SW and CA teams

RandR

May 15, 2011
Results from the first 100 Posts (rivals included if mentioned from both sides):

Team Rivals

Anaheim Ducks (San Jose, Los Angeles, Detroit,
Boston Bruins (Montreal, Toronto, Philadelphia, Dallas,
Buffalo Sabres (Toronto, Ottawa,
Calgary Flames (Vancouver, Edmonton ?,
Carolina Hurricanes (New Jersey, Florida,
Chicago Blackhawks (St Louis, Detroit, Vancouver,
Colorado Avalanche ( ?,
Columbus Blue Jackets (St Louis,
Dallas Stars (Boston, San Jose,
Detroit Red Wings (Toronto, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Anaheim, San Jose,
Edmonton Oilers (Calgary ?,
Florida Panthers (Carolina, Tampa Bay ?,
Los Angeles Kings (Anaheim, San Jose,
Minnesota Wild ( ?,
Montreal Canadiens (Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Rangers,
Nashville Predators (St Louis,
New Jersey Devils (Rangers, Philadelphia, Carolina,
New York Islanders (Rangers, Pittsburgh,
New York Rangers (New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington, Montreal, Islanders,
Ottawa Senators (Toronto, Buffalo, Montreal, Pittsburgh,
Philadelphia Flyers (Pittsburgh, Rangers, New Jersey, Boston,
Phoenix Coyotes ( ?,
Pittsburgh Penguins (Philadelphia, Washington, Rangers, Detroit, Ottawa, Islanders,
St Louis Blues (Nashville, Chicago, Columbus,
San Jose Sharks (Los Angeles, Anaheim, Dallas, Detroit,
Tampa Bay Lightning (Florida ?,
Toronto Maple Leafs (Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo, Detroit, Boston,
Vancouver Canucks (Calgary, Chicago,
Washington Capitals (Pittsburgh, Rangers,
Winnipeg Jets ( ?,

Teams more than 1 Time Zone away are in Red.

So, the point being that those teams with multiple rivals can do without some of those rivals in their Division in order that other teams can be in a Division with at least one rival or two.

I'll update after another few pages of posts.
Interesting thread you started there! :yo:

Although I don't agree with some of those rivals listed, I largely agree with your point. Going back to the Winnipeg situation, I'd say that Toronto would be the team that can most afford to give up an existing rival in order to welcome Winnipeg into their division. Toronto is a wealthy franchise, they have as many rivals as any team, and they sell out all the time no matter who they play.

However, I read this morning that the Leafs had 8 unsold suites last year... which is a huge amount of lost revenue (my guess is something near $2 million/year). So there is pressure in Toronto to address their suite sales situation, and if they lost 2 of their 3 home games against their biggest rival (Montreal) in exchange for Winnipeg, then those empty suites get even harder to sell. So even they would be expected to vote against exchanging an existing rival (Montreal) for Winnipeg unless other aspects of the realignment at least outweighed the loss of that rival.

Minnesota doesn't mind gaining Winnipeg in their division, because overall they are still much better off than now if the Central division ends up the way that Leipold described.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
The problem w/ the above post is this: It has been stressed that no NHL Franchise can be suspended or folded, knorthern, since the NHL owns the franchise.... if it was Pittsburgh and Buffalo would no longer be hockey markets after bankruptcy protection in which the league stepped in temporarily until an owner was found...

The inherent problem isn't Colorado, but Dallas being in a division made up of the SW and CA teams

But that is no longer to be a problem, even if the League stayed with 6 Divisions, with the introduction of Winnipeg to the NW, Dallas would be put in the Central. Even if Phoenix is relocated somewhere out of the west, if the League really wants to eliminate 3 Time Zone Divisions, then Vancouver could take the Pacific slot, Dallas still stays in the Central.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
But is no longer to be a problem, even if the League stayed with 6 Divisions, with the retroduction of Winnipeg to the NW, Dallas would be put in the Central. Even if Phoenix is relocated somewhere out of the west, if the League really wants to eliminate 3 Time Zone Divisions, then Vancouver could take the Pacific slot, Dallas still stays in the Central.

I'd agree, just as long as Dallas is the one moving, not any of the other..... I'm not sure where COL fit into that option;)

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I'd agree, just as long as Dallas is the one moving, not any of the other..... I'm not sure where COL fit into that option;)

Colorado first into the Pacific (Dallas out) with Winnipeg in the Northwest. Vancouver into the Pacific if Phoenix is relocated out of the far-west or if the League wants to get rid of 3 Time Zone Divisions.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Trying to put together Divisions based primarily on RIVALRIES is an exercise in futility.

Just put teams together in Divisions that make the most travel and TV broadcast sense for the League, give them a schedule that enables sufficient games against, especially Conference teams, that every team gets a chance to have a little animosity against its Conference opponents. And then just let the rival matchups happen as they may, in the Playoffs!

Can we Please just make Divisions that make travel and TV broadcast sense! And that don't isolate the most undesired teams in Divisions by themselves in Divisions that are disadvantageous to them.

I think making an alignment which gets teams playing their rivals is a more important goal than "travel." Time zones, yes, but again, travel is determined by the ORDER of games on the schedule (Washington's CAR-MIN-CAL road trip pretty much craps on the concept that a Southeast Division helps travel!)

And you can schedule around the division's shortcomings.

This is probably definitely the biggest non-starter in this whole thread.

There is no way in hell the League splits up the Rangers & Isles (& Devils).

The only reason the Mets/Yankees and Jets/Giants are split is history - The AL and NL were separate leagues and the AFC/NFC split is a legacy of the AFL & NFL as separate leagues.

Yes, but who cares about the origin of that history? Is the RESULT better?
In baseball, the Mets and Yankees play 6 times.
The Mets & Yankees have division rivals which play 18 times each (NYY-BOS, NYY-BAL, NYM-PHI, NYM-ATL)
Then they have League opponents (7-9 times each)
Then there's teams in the other league they face once every few years.

The number of games doesn't work in hockey. But would the principle?
Would 6 vs geographic rivals OUT OF CONFERENCE, and 6 vs division rivals, and not playing some teams time zones away benefit the sport? Let's say your no longer DIVISION rivals with your most hated enemy. But you're now division rivals with someone a little further away. And you still play your most hated geographic rival.
Aren't there more teams you're fired up to play now?

Interesting idea for discussion sake, but the NHL doesn't have a history of 2 leagues coming together the way that football and baseball do. So it would be a non-starter to split up longstanding divisional rivals into rival conferences/leagues such as the way you have with the Rangers/Islanders, Kings/Ducks, Oilers/Flames, etc.

If anything, it would make more sense for MLB to go the way of the NHL or NBA and have 2 geographic-based conferences with rival teams from the same city or state in the same divisions as each other. Of course, that would be a non-starter too due to the ties between NL or AL teams that sometimes go back a hundred years.

The problems with MLB's alignment is that the season format makes year-long interleague play undesirable.
And that makes a six division of five setup impossible. Hockey does not have that problem.

Why wouldn't a W-C-E in each conference, where West plays West, Cent vs Cent, and East plays East in interleague work?
The main issue is that geography would make something like PHI in the Wales East and PIT in the Campbell Central. But if you could make a configuration around that (or simply add a flex schedule component), I think it'd work just fine.

If you don't like the idea, at least say why.

Personally, I would love a Canadian division. Even more good HNIC double-headers on Saturday nights, and a Canadian regular-season champion every year. And with 2 rounds of divisional playoffs ... thus every year we would have 3 series of Canadian playoffs with a champion and league semi-finalist. It would be HUGE for TV ratings and bragging rights in Canada.

If the league goes to 4 divisions, then a Canadian division would fit nicely right now, with room to add another team in case Phoenix moved to Quebec City (or Ontario).

I have no problem per se with a "Canadian division." My problem is what it means for the other three divisions.

A Canadian Division of VAN, EDM, CAL, WIN, TOR, MON, OTT means three American Divisions:

East: DET, BUF, PIT, BOS, NYR, NYI, NJ, PHI (As a NY, I'm cool with this)
West: SJ, LA, ANA, PHX, COL, MIN, CHI, STL (That's pretty wide-spread)
South: NASH, DAL, TB, FLA, CAR, WASH, CBJ (Egads!)

It basically creates a Southern division. And that is extremely bad for hockey. The attendance of southern market basically confirms that "people from the north migrated to the south; Those people like hockey and will adopt the new local team, and definitely go see that team when their original hometown team comes to town." Which was the entire premise behind why they thought southern hockey would work in the first place.

We've already established that a four-division setup works near-perfect in the West:
One Pacific/Mountain Time Zone division
One Central Time Zone division

And those look remarkably similar to the old Smythe and Norris divisions:
Norris: CHI, STL, MIN (DAL, WIN, NASH replace DET, TOR)
Smythe: VAN, CAL, EDM, LA, SJ (add ANA, COL, PHX)

So why not bring back the Adams and Patrick?
Patrick: NYR, NYI, NJ, PHI, PIT, WASH… add TB and FLA for eight.
Adams: DET, TOR (from Norris), BUF, BOS, MON, OTT.. and add CAR for seven.

That would depend on the schedule model. To me, playing everyone in the league twice is stupid (and I live in California now and am ticked off my Islanders don't visit this year). There's little interest in wasting all those home games on teams 2-3 time zones away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad