Real Estate Still Available on Washington Capitals Island

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A well coached team that works hard can end up in the middle of the standings, or maybe even higher.

But am I going to get excited to get on board the Caps wagon? Dylan Strome, PLD, Chychrun, etc... etc... I can't get excited for any of these guys. For me this is not a likable scrappy team. I have enjoyed watching Ovi like twice in the last five years.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
It’s just like Epstein’s Island except here young, fresh hockey fans are molested by the grotesque mediocrity of the greasy Washington Capitals organization.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
It's also a half measure rebuild/retool. They're not going to be good enough to win anything, but not bad enough to get elite talent either. I'd rather bottom out tbh.
Well as a Pens fan the good news for you is it looks like you ARE bottoming out!

The bad news is your front office didn't get the memo and are still trying to be competitive :laugh:

Reactions: AllAlphas

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Yes the Pens are awful I know
Nah, your core of stars is going to keep you from a top 10 pick IMO, as it should be, as why should generational players like Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Karlsson be forced to fight for nothing, without even any quality prospects on the roster to mentor? Just sheer suckage for suckage sake is beneath these players.

You guys could only be so fortunate as to bottom out. I think you guys are in for the worst of both worlds this season.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Nah, your core of stars is going to keep you from a top 10 pick IMO, as it should be, as why should generational players like Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Karlsson be forced to fight for nothing, without even any quality prospects on the roster to mentor? Just sheer suckage for suckage sake is beneath these players.

You guys could only be so fortunate as to bottom out. I think you guys are in for the worst of both worlds this season.
This could be the year things really bottom out. Crosby looks bad so far, Letang/Karlsson are bleeding high danger chances against, only Malkin has looked good.

And yes being a mediocre team would suck, worst of both worlds is right. Caps are better sure, but they also are not gonna do any real damage with that roster.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I actually liked their offseason a lot. Bought low on some good depth players that all needed a change of scenery. Mangiapane, PLD, Thompson, and Chychrun for basically nothing nailed down. Also an organization that tends to do well with their top 60 draft picks. Tom Wilson is on hockey fans' hate list because when he's healthy and motivated he's a 200ft force.

I don't think it's enough to make any real noise but they're still markedly better than quite a bit of the soft basement eastern teams. Ultimately would rather somebody else like the Sabres, Sens, or Wings make the playoffs because fresh blood is fun to watch in the postseason, but I don't think they're a team to take too lightly either.

Reactions: PlushMinus

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's also a half measure rebuild/retool. They're not going to be good enough to win anything, but not bad enough to get elite talent either. I'd rather bottom out tbh.
That is true but you can always get lucky via draft. As long as you have a playoff team tearing it all down probably isn't worth it. Certainly not with so many failed rebuilds around.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
If I may, I think the reason there's a bit of excitement... well maybe excitement is the wrong word to use, but I think the reason the Caps deserve extra 'props' as the Americans say is that it would have been so easy for the Caps to sandbag for picks. It was the ideal environment clubs often choose to tank; aging or injured core, teams prime moment gone, big rebuild needed. Caps instead have tried to retool on the fly and made trades that are definitely not 'we plan to suck' type trades. Certainly defensively, it's light years from last season. They deserve a lot of praise I think, saying even as a Caps fan.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I actually liked their offseason a lot. Bought low on some good depth players that all needed a change of scenery. Mangiapane, PLD, Thompson, and Chychrun for basically nothing nailed down. Also an organization that tends to do well with their top 60 draft picks. Tom Wilson is on hockey fans' hate list because when he's healthy and motivated he's a 200ft force.

I don't think it's enough to make any real noise but they're still markedly better than quite a bit of the soft basement eastern teams. Ultimately would rather somebody else like the Sabres, Sens, or Wings make the playoffs because fresh blood is fun to watch in the postseason, but I don't think they're a team to take too lightly either.
Good post. I think our GM (Bmac) really nailed it in the offseason. He's had a few misses in the past but I think over the years his strike rate is about 80/20, maybe 70/30 if being unbiased.

I think the Caps org know they aren't a Cup threat, but you know the old saying: make it into the playoffs and you're playing with house money. Anything can happen.

imho - the goal was to make the Caps a competitive team during the final Ovie years. And that's what they've done. This year they already look way better than last season

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
I've always found it weird in every sport where fans just dismiss wins against bad teams. In pretty much every sport, beating a good team one night like say Dallas or Vegas, and then playing a bad team and playing down to their level is a sign that you aren't legit. Great teams don't just win against bad teams they destroy them. It's a sign that you are capable of handling business and showing up every night, not just when you feel the game is worthy enough for you.

That said, we have 76 more games this season and it's way too early to cipher out who is a legitimate contender. The Capitals roster has been pretty significantly overhauled because Oshie and Backstrom are effectively retired and they got rid of Kemper. Could they be in a place to add ad the trade deadline, sure, could they collapse in a month, sure. Is it somewhere in between, maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad