Real Estate Still Available on Washington Capitals Island

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Word is spreading quickly. We were all sold a bill of goods by the prognosticators when they claimed these Washington Capitals were bound for mediocrity, doomed to irrelevance, stuck in Ovechkin Goal Record Limbo.

The extermination of Nicklas Backstrom, T.J. Oshie, and Evgeny Kuznetsov, combined with the arrival of scrappy castaways like Jakob Chychrun, Pierre-Luc Dubois, and Andrew Mangiapane has created a special group of guys who play with renewed vigor. Head Coach Spencer "Carbs" Carbery has the boys operating like a well-oiled machine.

Dylan Strome looks like a stud. Connor McMichael is beating the pumpkin allegations. Big Tom Wilson has returned to All-Star form. And this is all before Alex Ovechkin has even found his footing.

The time to invest is now. The price of the brick is going up.

Discuss.

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I genuinely hope this thread has legs, but beat not-the-Flyers a few more times before getting too excited. Come out of October 8-1-1 or 9-1, and we might have something here.

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
To be fair, we beat the previously undefeated Golden Knights and Stars prior to the Flyers as well as the Devils

And that is entirely fair. That said, three wins against good teams is generally considered "a few good wins," not "this team is a wagon, everyone get on board immediately." Win out October, and we're looking at a different conversation.

Reactions: AllAlphas

AllAlphas

Apr 29, 2013
I won't be glazing or lathering any sacks until I see how they look against Tampa and the NYR.
Exactly!
It's way too early in the season to be getting, either excited, or depressed about your teams chances.
Just enjoy some fun, early season hockey and, whether they win or lose, go out and get laid!

• Haha
Reactions: BallardEra

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Word is spreading quickly. We were all sold a bill of goods by the prognosticators when they claimed these Washington Capitals were bound for mediocrity, doomed to irrelevance, stuck in Ovechkin Goal Record Limbo.

The extermination of Nicklas Backstrom, T.J. Oshie, and Evgeny Kuznetsov, combined with the arrival of scrappy castaways like Jakob Chychrun, Pierre-Luc Dubois, and Andrew Mangiapane has created a special group of guys who play with renewed vigor. Head Coach Spencer "Carbs" Carbery has the boys operating like a well-oiled machine.

Dylan Strome looks like a stud. Connor McMichael is beating the pumpkin allegations. Big Tom Wilson has returned to All-Star form. And this is all before Alex Ovechkin has even found his footing.

The time to invest is now. The price of the brick is going up.

Discuss.

These early threads are getting out of hand. Creative but out had hand. It is a long season

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Considering Caps made the playoffs last year and, I think we can all agree, got better in the offseason, it shouldn't even be that surprising. Just that their lack of exciting young talent means they don't get media attention.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Yikes. As a Caps fan, 5-1 is a hell of a lot better than 1-5, but it's still just a six-game sample size. The two recent games against a rebuilding club in Philly, with no centers and coming into the home-and-home shooting blanks in the bargain, aren't worth a lot. The two games against NJ and one each against Vegas and Dallas is quality competition, though, and the Caps came out of those games 3-1. We'll see.

The additions are working out well. They're winning even though Matt Roy hasn't entered the chat and Ovechkin is still thawing out. Chychrun is playing a very solid all-around game, providing welcome offense to a team that didn't have much of it from the blueline last year. That takes the pressure off Carlson to do everything. Their patience with McMichael is paying off. Wilson looks like a prime power forward right now, and will make Team Canada for the Four Nations at this rate.

The doomsday start would have been PLD looking disinterested and MIA, dragging down everything he touches and left with no trade value whatsoever. He hasn't been perfect, but he's anchoring their top scoring line and Carbery is giving them the toughest line matchups, responsibility, and praise. So it could certainly be a lot worse. PLD has been better than expected and he's helping his linemates McMichael and Wilson to a big October so far.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Considering Caps made the playoffs last year and, I think we can all agree, got better in the offseason, it shouldn't even be that surprising. Just that their lack of exciting young talent means they don't get media attention.
It's also a half measure rebuild/retool. They're not going to be good enough to win anything, but not bad enough to get elite talent either. I'd rather bottom out tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad