Re-sign Kulemin @ 3m?

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
That's pretty good value for a guy that Kulemin's skill and role provides . I'd probably do it, assuming there is no NTC or crap like that in the contract.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
No.

This team needs different personnel if they want a different culture. Kulemin has been a part of all three late season collapses.

Ashton, Damigo, Broll etc. These guys can all give you defensive responsibility and 10G10A for a fraction of the cost.

The overpayment of veterans who are marginal performers kills this org over and over. I like Kulie as a player, but it's time to move on and change the nature of this team

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
It is fair value for him. That being said I might have to say no because Clarkson's contract is really putting a cap crunch on us. (Dion's is not helping also.)

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think he can easily be replaced from within. Why do you guys want to reward players who have contributed to this mediocrity? You guys want to bring back the same players while expecting a different result. Let some young Marlie who is hungry to replace Kulie

Avec Fromage*

No.

This team needs different personnel if they want a different culture. Kulemin has been a part of all three late season collapses.

Ashton, Damigo, Broll etc. These guys can all give you defensive responsibility and 10G10A for a fraction of the cost.

The overpayment of veterans who are marginal performers kills this org over and over. I like Kulie as a player, but it's time to move on and change the nature of this team

Why is Kulemin to blame? Clarkson, Lupul, Reimer, Franson, Phaneuf (last 20 games), McClement, Carlyle are deserving of blame this year.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
That's around his value, give or take 200/300k, and I'd love to have him stay but I really don't think he's going to even want to re-sign here anyways. :laugh: - and in regards to this season, he had an awesome stretch when he was put on the 2nd line before the Olympics but subsequently didn't do much of anything offensively or defensively post Olympics. I realize it was a team collapse but I think he's gonna want a change in scenery after three years in a row of this crap.

Good luck in Pittsburgh, Kulie!

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
Are you guys kidding? Kulemin is quietly one of our BEST perfor-.... nah just kidding.

He has flat-lined, and both TML and Kulemin need a change of scenery when it comes to each other. He's just not as much of a force as he needs to be in order to justify putting up no points, especially for the amount of money he will be getting.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Why is Kulemin to blame? Clarkson, Lupul, Reimer, Franson, Phaneuf (last 20 games), McClement, Carlyle are deserving of blame this year.

So you just pick and choose names based on an eye test?

Since Kulemin has been here we have made the playoffs once, he's been a main pker on a team that has been absolutely dreadful outside of a 40 game stretch in 2013. He doesn't make an impact offensively.

What has he done to earn 3M for multiple years? While he is not the problem, he's certainly been a part of this teams lack of success. For less than 1M we can promote a young player who can be defensively responsible and give you 20 points. Exactly like Kulie was promoted a few years ago.

I'm surprised after all this garbage as fans were not welcoming change with open arms

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Kulemin's style of play could easily be replaced for someone who makes in and around the 1 to 1.5 mil/per year range. I don't know why people love paying 3rd liners so much.

Good third liners are better than crappy third liners. They aren't all the same.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
I don't know why people feel the need to over pay a guy like Kulemin or any third liner for that matter. 3 million?

Look at these stats:
Kulemin, Nikolai » R 27 TOR 70 9 11 20 24 -4 16.23
Winchester, Jesse » C 30 FLA 52 9 9 18 38 -2 12.74
Santorelli, Mike » C 28 VAN 49 10 18 28 6 9 18.56

Not that I would consider Jesse Winchester but the guy makes way less, plays much less ice time and basically has identical numbers to Nik? Not only that Winchester almost matched Kule's numbers in 52 games this year vs Nik's 70 games.

Or how about Mike Santorelli - who made $550,000 with the canucks this year? In 49 games Mike achieved 8 more points than Nik.
Source for Mike's Contract: http://www.capgeek.com/player/1066

http://www.capgeek.com/ufa-finder/ - here is the ufa list & source for these stats.

I'd honestly try to bring in a guy like Matt Moulson into our top six (replace Lupul) and some more character type guys instead of focusing on re-signing a waste of 3 million dollars like Kulemin.

Last edited:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Hell yea, then throw him on the second line and actually give him soon offensive zone time, and watch him pot 20.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
truthfully?

i wouldn't cry if Kulemin moved along. I like Kulemin. but it's time to let the kids come up and show us what we have. the end.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Look at these stats:
Kulemin, Nikolai » R 27 TOR 70 9 11 20 24 -4 16.23
Winchester, Jesse » C 30 FLA 52 9 9 18 38 -2 12.74

True. Nothing else matters other than stat-lines. We should just throw guys like Ross and Kozun on our third line next year. They'd surely score as much.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I said no, just for the sake of getting some personnel changed out. We need to change the culture and find some people with character. I like Kulemin but unless its a bargain lets get some fresh blood in here. 4 years is too long too.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
True. Nothing else matters other than stat-lines. We should just throw guys like Ross and Kozun on our third line next year. They'd surely score as much.

Winchester and Santorelli are proven vets like Kule that can do the same job. I look at the 3rd and 4th lines and would take the "money ball" approach. I've seen Santorelli play a slew of games this year cuz I live on the pacific coast and found him much more impressive, capable and just as physical (but actually uses his size to his advantage so it can be viewed as punishing) as Kule. Winchester is a bit of a different player but can definitely get the job done.

Why do we have to be so "young" on our 3rd and 4th lines. Why can't we just get guys that can get the job done regardless of age - and not only that, actually bring proper support for guys like Mcclement, and maybe some leadership into the room (for guys like naz)?

Also committing 3 mil to Kule is money spent poorly. You could take that 3 mill and rellocate it to get a proper dman or a top six guy (obvi they would cost more than just 3 mill but shedding contracts like Kule or Bolland would help bring someone in that would actually HELP our team).

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

Well yeah you could throw out two names that are not a significant part of the Marlies.

Or you could throw out names like Ashton, Damigo or Leivo who actually could get 20 points over a full season.

Kulemin is not offensively skilled. He can skate and has an above average shot. Offensively, those players are a dime a dozen. His defense is what makes him a good NHLer and you can find his defensive skills for a lot less than 3M

Seriously, the love of average nhlers among or fanbase is mind boggling. This team is BAD

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
I really like Kule, but it's time to move on. He may benefit from a change of scenery and we need to change some personnel. He is not the one to blame, but please let some Marlies play in the bottom six.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad