Speculation: Re-alignment

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Who knows how long this would last if it went into effect, but I like that the Sharks would be in a 7 team conference. Makes it easier to make the playoffs.

And, not gonna lie, the possibility of yearly or near yearly playoff series' against the Canucks is fun as a hockey fan. And even as a Sharks fan I suppose.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
And Edmonton. Edmonton is the definition of incompetent management (scouting, GM, coaching).

What concerns me about the Oilers is their speed. They could possibly skate in circles around us. They have been getting better for the last few years and a little improvement in their D could make them better than us.

I guess my confidence level with the team right now is about as low as the players in themselves. I dont trust them to beat any NHL level team right now.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
What concerns me about the Oilers is their speed. They could possibly skate in circles around us. They have been getting better for the last few years and a little improvement in their D could make them better than us.

I guess my confidence level with the team right now is about as low as the players in themselves. I dont trust them to beat any NHL level team right now.
Edmonton has had the same issues for a long time (90s). The best to which they could aspire is bubble team. They have no idea on dmen, not even close. Their later round drafting/development is the definition of fail. One of the few teams with a top 5 pick that completely failed (Bonsignore). MacT was their best ever coach and he was of the dime a dozen variety. Perfect storm for the cup run with Pronger plus some outstanding reclamation projects which was immediately blown up.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
Who knows how long this would last if it went into effect, but I like that the Sharks would be in a 7 team conference. Makes it easier to make the playoffs.

And, not gonna lie, the possibility of yearly or near yearly playoff series' against the Canucks is fun as a hockey fan. And even as a Sharks fan I suppose.

This is my favorite part about the realignment. The new structure of the playoff would allow teams in the same decision a much higher chance of meeting in the playoffs year in year out. This would be great for building rivalries.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hate this new re-alignment plan.

Me too. I mean, good for the Sharks that they might be in a seven team division (or conference, whatever you want to call it). That gives them a better shot to make the playoffs. But I hate it that they have to face a team from their own division (or conference) in the first and second rounds of the playoffs (should they get there).

Just leave it at six divisions of five teams. Move the Blue Jackets to the east, the Jets to the west, move Dallas to the Central (where it makes more sense) and Colorado to the Pacific. Too bad for the Red Wings that they have to stay in the west. I believe the Blue Jackets asked to move to the east first, although I could be wrong on that.

Atlantic: Devils, Flyers, Islanders, Penguins, Rangers
Northeast: Bruins, Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Sabres, Senators
Southeast: Blue Jackets, Capitals, Hurricanes, Lightning, Panthers

Central: Blackhawks, Blues, Predators, Red Wings, Stars
Northwest: Canucks, Flames, Jets, Oilers, Wild
Pacific: Avalanche, Coyotes, Ducks, Kings, Sharks

HBSauce

Dirts McGirts
Apr 30, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Edmonton has had the same issues for a long time (90s). The best to which they could aspire is bubble team. They have no idea on dmen, not even close. Their later round drafting/development is the definition of fail. One of the few teams with a top 5 pick that completely failed (Bonsignore). MacT was their best ever coach and he was of the dime a dozen variety. Perfect storm for the cup run with Pronger plus some outstanding reclamation projects which was immediately blown up.

Living in Edmonton I'm surrounded by Oiler fans so I know a little bit. Their D prospects right now are enticing with Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat and Musil coming up. Prospects don't always pan out but atleast 2 of those 4 should make it to the Oilers. Currently lacking in D but Justin Schultz has been a great addition for them.

For that 1994 draft, their 6th pick was Ryan Smyth...

MacT I used to always dislike since the oilers were always a grind it out team with little flash, but he was able to get a decent amount out of what he had to work with. And I doubt he is worse than the Todd...

Do I believe the Oilers management could be better? Yes, but it is heading in the right direction and their later round scouting has been better recently (starting in 2007 I'd say). They've made strides from the 90's oilers IMO

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
From the TSN article:

The playoff format calls for the top three teams in each division to earn post-season berths. The remaining four spots would go to wild-card teams, the top two records remaining in each conference. That means there's a possibility five teams make it from one division and only three from another.

It would be divisional playoffs, not conference playoffs, so 1 vs. 4, 2 vs 3 in the first round. The two fourth seeds would be made up of the wild-card teams. The top division winner based on regular-season points in the standings would face off against the lower-ranked wild-card team. The other division winner would play the higher-ranked wild-card.

First-round winners then meet in second round in the division championship; Third round sees Pacific winner vs. Mid-West winner in Western Conference finals; Central winner versus Atlantic winner in Eastern Conference finals; Eastern and Western Conference champions meet in Stanley Cup finals.

So if I am reading this correctly (And I believe I am, if the Sharks, for example, were the lowest-rank wild card team, and say the Blackhawks were the top division winner, now all of a sudden for the first two rounds the Sharks are in the Mid-West Division Playoffs (because they would play the Hawks 1st round, and then winner of the other mid-west matchup second round).

Crazy...

Edit: My own question answered by CBC
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/02/nhl-drops-4-conference-realignment-plan.html

What it does mean, though, is if a team crosses over, it stays there. So, let's say the Oilers finish fourth in the Pacific next year, but get to the playoffs as the "remaining team" with the most points. And say Chicago wins the Midwest (ahead of St. Louis and Nashville) and has fewer points than Pacific winner Vancouver. The Oilers technically become a Midwest Division club. They would play the Blackhawks in the first round and, with a win, the Blues or Predators in the second.

Last edited:

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
I hate uneven divisions ...

It drives me insane to even look at MLB and how they lined up for years .. Especially with only 4 teams going to the playoffs in each league.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Even with it, it won't last long. They will expand to even it out eventually.
But they won't be expanding in the West, so Columbus and Detroit will get sent back.

Don't like the wild card, don't like the fact that Florida teams are in the wrong division, even though I understand they want to preserve the Atlantic division; unless they plan to re-locate Tampa and Florida to Montreal and Hamilton.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
But they won't be expanding in the West, so Columbus and Detroit will get sent back.

Don't like the wild card, don't like the fact that Florida teams are in the wrong division, even though I understand they want to preserve the Atlantic division; unless they plan to re-locate Tampa and Florida to Montreal and Hamilton.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. There are six markets in the west that are possibilities. Some more remote than others but certainly conceivable. Seattle is going to get a team, one way or the other. It's only a matter of time at this point. Then places like Portland, Houston, KC, Sacramento, and somewhere in Wisconsin can get a team if certain things happen.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Isn't Seattle getting the Kings already? I suppose it'd work out for all if Florida teams move to Hamilton and Quebec and you expand in Seattle and one of KC/Houston. But Tampa is doing relatively well attendance wise, I think.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Isn't Seattle getting the Kings already? I suppose it'd work out for all if Florida teams move to Hamilton and Quebec and you expand in Seattle and one of KC/Houston. But Tampa is doing relatively well attendance wise, I think.

Seattle's plan with the arena involves getting both basketball and hockey teams in there. Both the city and Hansen benefit from a second tenant. Outside of the Coyotes, there are no relocation candidates. Expansion will be the next step once the Coyotes situation is resolved.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

You're right about Tampa...for the same reason the FL teams are in the same division as the Eastern Canadian teams...snowbirds. Canadian Snowbirds who live in Florida during the winter are the reason last year's realignment proposal and this year's proposal always have the Florida teams with the Eastern Canadian Teams. Not because of move possibilities, but to appease Canadian Snowbird fans.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Me too. I mean, good for the Sharks that they might be in a seven team division (or conference, whatever you want to call it). That gives them a better shot to make the playoffs. But I hate it that they have to face a team from their own division (or conference) in the first and second rounds of the playoffs (should they get there).

Just leave it at six divisions of five teams. Move the Blue Jackets to the east, the Jets to the west, move Dallas to the Central (where it makes more sense) and Colorado to the Pacific. Too bad for the Red Wings that they have to stay in the west. I believe the Blue Jackets asked to move to the east first, although I could be wrong on that.

Southeast: Blue Jackets, Capitals, Hurricanes, Lightning, Panthers

Central: Blackhawks, Blues, Predators, Red Wings, Stars

slightly modified, I like this:

Southeast: Stars, Capitals, Hurricanes, Lightning, Panthers

Central: Blackhawks, Blues, Predators, Red Wings, Jackets

AnderFunk

Sep 17, 2010
Regina, SK
Here's what I would have done:

-Move Winnipeg to the Northwest Divsion from the Southeast Division(NW + 1, SE - 1)
-Move Nashville to the Southeast Division from the Central Division (SE + 1, CL - 1)
-Move Dallas to the Central Division from the Pacific Division (CL + 1, PC - 1)
-Move Colorado to the Pacific Division from the Northwest Division (PC + 1, NW - 1)

Map

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Living in Edmonton I'm surrounded by Oiler fans so I know a little bit. Their D prospects right now are enticing with Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat and Musil coming up. Prospects don't always pan out but atleast 2 of those 4 should make it to the Oilers. Currently lacking in D but Justin Schultz has been a great addition for them.

MacT I used to always dislike since the oilers were always a grind it out team with little flash, but he was able to get a decent amount out of what he had to work with. And I doubt he is worse than the Todd...

Do I believe the Oilers management could be better? Yes, but it is heading in the right direction and their later round scouting has been better recently (starting in 2007 I'd say). They've made strides from the 90's oilers IMO

While there is a good chance that a few of those D prospect become NHL level Dmen I am not sure any are solid bets on becoming 1/2 on the blueline.

I am not too sure how you rank management of a team that has been at the bottom of the league for so long, even if they rise how much of that is about lottery picks?

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose

MacT was worse than the Todd because he fell into non-creativity. He also had issues as a motivator with his old school style which doesn't work well with players who are getting their wealth early. The days of fire breathers are almost done. The Todd doesn't shoot himself in the foot on the motivational side and he is at least somewhat creative. His record with the PP prior to this year is outstanding. It isn't just having a high number on PP, it is taking a good PP and achieving even better numbers. It is differential, not the raw number.

In terms of drafting, I will give you one Oiler success who stands out because he is the exception, Petry. I am looking for guys drafted past round one who can aspire to more than last pairing or lower line minutes. Guys who, if traded, can garner more than 200 games elsewhere. Not guys who fall out of the NHL scene as soon as they leave the Oilers. All teams will have prospects show up for half seasons or more when injuries or personnel shortages dictate it. The Oilers later rounds are absolutely pathetic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad