News: RDS: Mantha wont resign with Vegas, hitting the market

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Taking a deeper look at his 5v5 numbers, I think his on ice contributions have been really underrated.

He's coming off another really solid year in terms of 5v5 scoring efficiency. He was 18th in G/60 and 48th in P/60.

Since he entered the league in 2015-16, his 5v5 scoring efficiency has been indicative of a legit top line goal scorer, especially when you factor in how weak his supporting cast has been at times. Despite the lack of talent around him, his 5v5 G/60 since 2015 of 0.84 is comparable to guys like Svechnikov, Kempe, Toffoli, Pavelski, Eberle, and Boeser, all pretty notably good finishings wingers. He's also 89th in P/60 in that span (min 400gp), right between Larkin and Backstrom. Among RWs, he's top 30 in both goals and points per 60.

His underlying numbers suggest his overall game might be getting a bit underrated as well. I was surprised to see how good his relative xGA and xG% numbers have been. In terms of expected goals, he's been a notably positive possession and defensive player in pretty much every season outside his rookie year, and his actual goal differential numbers support that.

Screenshot_20240619-072225.png

His relative corsi is also 2nd among RWs since he entered the league (min 400gp). That was pretty surprising. I don't think that means he necessarily a good defender, but he's pretty good at moving the puck north and using his frame and hands to extend offensive zone time, which is usually the best way to limit goals against.

His Jfresh card is pretty impressive as well.

GH8W3ZBXsAAc-r7.jpeg

These numbers combine to suggest that his on ice contributions should make him top ~15-20 RW in the game. Capable 5v5 scorer, elite possession and goal differential numbers, and a big body with great hands and insane release....

It's kind of odd how low his worth seems to be around the league. His on ice impacts and scoring levels suggest he should be highly coveted. I know he has a reputation for being soft, but it doesn't seem to be preventing him from being a valuable 5v5 player.

It makes me think that previous reports of attitude and off ice issues are really hurting his value. Unless the league is still overvaluing physicality (which I don't think is as much of a thing anymore, managers are getting savvier every year).

I do think there are some motivation issues, but I think that also gets exaggerated because he's cursed with being big, smooth skating forward. Those guys always look a lot lazier than they actually are, it's amazing how many skilled big guys like him have been pegged as lazy just because they can't move their feet as quickly.

It will be interesting to see how much he gets in free agency. I think he could be a real high value target for teams on a budget looking for a top 6 finisher. Would love for the devils to be in on him, he could score a lot of goals on Hughes' wing.

I think he'll be metro bound, to one of Carolina, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, or Columbus.

Last edited:

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Taking a deeper look at his 5v5 numbers, I think his on ice contributions have been really underrated.

He's coming off another really solid year in terms of 5v5 scoring efficiency. He was 18th in G/60 and 48th in P/60.

Since he entered the league in 2015-16, his 5v5 scoring efficiency has been indicative of a legit top line goal scorer, especially when you factor in how weak his supporting cast has been at times. Despite the lack of talent around him, his 5v5 G/60 since 2015 of 0.84 is comparable to guys like Svechnikov, Kempe, Toffoli, Pavelski, Eberle, and Boeser, all pretty notably good finishings wingers. He's also 89th in P/60 in that span (min 400gp), right between Larkin and Backstrom. Among RWs, he's top 30 in both goals and points per 60.

His underlying numbers suggest his overall game might be getting a bit underrated as well. I was surprised to see how good his relative xGA and xG% numbers have been. In terms of expected goals, he's been a notably positive possession and defensive player in pretty much every season outside his rookie year, and his actual goal differential numbers support that.

View attachment 884320

His relative corsi is also 2nd among RWs since he entered the league (min 400gp). That was pretty surprising. I don't think that means he necessarily a good defender, but he's pretty good at moving the puck north and using his frame and hands to extend offensive zone time, which is usually the best way to limit goals against.

His Jfresh card is pretty impressive as well.

View attachment 884324

These numbers combine to suggest that his on ice contributions should make him top ~15-20 RW in the game. Capable 5v5 scorer, elite possession and goal differential numbers, and a big body with great hands and insane release....

It's kind of odd how low his worth seems to be around the league. His on ice impacts and scoring levels suggest he should be highly coveted. I know he has a reputation for being soft, but it doesn't seem to be preventing him from being a valuable 5v5 player.

It makes me think that previous reports of attitude and off ice issues are really hurting his value. Unless the league is still overvaluing physicality (which I don't think is as much of a thing anymore, managers are getting savvier every year).

I do think there are some motivation issues, but I think that also gets exaggerated because he's cursed with being big, smooth skating forward. Those guys always look a lot lazier than they actually are, it's amazing how many skilled big guys like him have been pegged as lazy just because they can't move their feet as quickly.

It will be interesting to see how much he gets in free agency. I think he could be a real high value target for teams on a budget looking for a top 6 finisher. Would love for the devils to be in on him, he could score a lot of goals on Hughes' wing.

I think he'll be metro bound, to one of Carolina, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, or Columbus.

Mantha sounds a lot like Tatar a couple of years ago. Tatar was a nice fit on a young Devils third line.

Still, I can’t imagine Fitz picking him up. Devils want to get harder to play against. That’s part of why Tatar didn’t get an offer he liked from Fitz.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
It’s too easy to hate on Mantha, where my Mantha lovers at??

I’d say he’s easily worth 5+, he’s a very efficient scorer at 5v5. And he has an active stick and is quite solid defensively, all I know is he made things happen this year in Washington. Scored a lot of timely goals when no one else would.

Rising cap and depth scorer, wouldn’t be the worst thing if he basically got the same contract he received a few years ago. That would be good value for him

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
It’s too easy to hate on Mantha, where my Mantha lovers at??

I’d say he’s easily worth 5+, he’s a very efficient scorer at 5v5. And he has an active stick and is quite solid defensively, all I know is he made things happen this year in Washington. Scored a lot of timely goals when no one else would.

Rising cap and depth scorer, wouldn’t be the worst thing if he basically got the same contract he received a few years ago. That would be good value for him
Are you Mantha's agent?

• Haha
Reactions: PelagicJoe

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Hughes seems to be on a mission to improve MTL non existent scoring depth.

His first target have seemed to be a young established top 6 forward, but the price asked combined to incompatible MTL trade chips vs the needs of teams that got those available seems to make that possibility difficult.

So lately, he hinted at the possibility of signing UFA scoring forwards to short but high $$ contract.

But frankly, which high profile scoring UFA will want to come to a rebuilding MTL team?

Personally, if I was Hughes, I would opt for the same strategy as Steve Yzerman did in Detroit.
He signed a few mid range scoring forwards like Perron and Sprong (and Gostisbehere on defense). He took a gamble on an injury riddled P. Kane too.

Mantha fits that bill.

He's not in a position to ask for a too long/too expensive contract and he'd return home for his childhood team, with probably one of his former favorite NHL player as a coach in MSL.

If I was Hughes I would sign David Perron too. He's a respected veteran with a ring, he's still capable of putting 40some pts.

Those two would bring much needed help in terms of secondary scoring and depth for cheap.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Lol you don't know what you're talking about

Anderson, last year, was one of our 3 worst forwards, on a team that finished 5th last

Let that sink in for a minute
Oh really, maybe should take a reading course, Mantha has the tools, but no heart, you keep him I will take a Anderson every day of the week over someone like a Mantha, that when he was with the Red Wings I thought was going to be a player, I was wrong.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Anderson has zero hockey IQ.

He's a thoroughbred with a little (hockey) brain.
His skates are going too fast for his hockey processor.

The only thing he's good at is skating hard in straight line and then crush the net.

But after some 8 full seasons in the NHL, his one trick poney trick is known throughout the league.

On the other hand, Mantha's problem seems more like he's the kind of player that surf on his talent.

He seemed to have taken things for granted and isn't the most dedicated to optimizing his potential (training).

He's a typical high maintenance player.

Plus he's been plagued by injuries.

But in my mind, he actually represents a low risk high reward type of UFA signing.

He's in no position to ask for a big and long contract, but he has the potential to be a solid double for cheap..

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Mantha sounds a lot like Tatar a couple of years ago. Tatar was a nice fit on a young Devils third line.

Still, I can’t imagine Fitz picking him up. Devils want to get harder to play against. That’s part of why Tatar didn’t get an offer he liked from Fitz.
I suspect you're right, though I think guys with his frame, possession skills, and shot are pretty hard to play against, even if they're not running around throwing body checks.

It was odd that we ditched Tatar just to trade Sharangovich for Toffoli, who is also quite easy to play against lol. Toffoli and Mantha share a lot of similarities.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The title should read, Vegas want no part of Mantha so he hits the market, which is whisper quiet.

Reactions: MisterT

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I'd take a chance on him if the deal was a 1 year 2.5m contract for the Leafs. Giving him term would be a mistake.

Reactions: Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad