RD Zayne Parekh - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2024, 9th, CGY)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The player comparison I would use is Zach Werenski. Natural skaters with a great offensive rhythm and wrist shot
I think that’s what you hope if he improves defensively, not that Werenski is great defensively. I don’t think that’s very likely. It sounds like the scenario where he’s the steal of the draft, which is said about a lot of players and the majority of them don’t get anywhere close to that.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Comparison with Werenski?!? Werenski is definitely more physical and strong in the defensive game.

I compare him more to Cale Makar or Adam Fox.

4th in my latest rankings, I think he can be an extremely brilliant player in the role of an offensive defenseman in the NHL.

What he does in the OHL is very strong.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
People with this player in the top-10 don’t know what kinds of defenders are successful in the NHL.
You're right comrade, Adam Fox doesn't work in the NHL.

If he doesn't have the profile to work in the NHL, take him out of the first 2 rounds if you think so.Parekh is either top 10 or nothing. If you put him between 11 and 15 when you think he doesn't have the profile to play in the NHL it doesn't change anything.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
People with this player in the top-10 don’t know what kinds of defenders are successful in the NHL.
He can skate. He moves the puck. And its in his opponent's net move often than his own when he's on the ice. Seems like some team might value that in the top 10. Not saying he lands there (think he settles around 15ish) but literally every player taken where he's projected has work to do. Sometimes you take a chance because you like the tools and there are no guarantees after pick 1.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
You're right comrade, Adam Fox doesn't work in the NHL.

If he doesn't have the profile to work in the NHL, take him out of the first 2 rounds if you think so.Parekh is either top 10 or nothing. If you put him between 11 and 15 when you think he doesn't have the profile to play in the NHL it doesn't change anything.
Adam Fox is a terrible comp for this player. He is and has been a good two way defender since the age of 16.

Parekh is too risky to take above guys like Buium, Leuvushov, Dickinson, or Jiricek. hell, even Yakemchuk who I don’t like I think has better tools for the NHL. Parekh hasn’t showed any consistent stretches of defensive ability at any level. Hughes, Makar and Fox all showed promise. these players are way too risky to bet a top-10 selection on. Tony DeAngelo, Ryan Murphy, are all examples of OHL d who have done something similar recently. all 3 haven’t become close to Makar or Fox.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

Historically yes, but Hockey is evolving. Lumbering dmen are dying out. In 10 years speed and skill are going to be the end all be all in the NHL. Saginaws coach honestly is kinda leading the forefront of that mentality. Once the old boys club in the nhl dies off you will see massive changes to the sport .

That said Zayne isn’t great in his own end, but you comped Merkley and DeAngelo. Both aren’t as good offensively as Zayne and both are locker room cancers which is why they can’t stick in the NHL. Hell DeAngelo gets opportunities despite being a shit person because of his offensive abilities

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I think that’s what you hope if he improves defensively, not that Werenski is great defensively. I don’t think that’s very likely. It sounds like the scenario where he’s the steal of the draft, which is said about a lot of players and the majority of them don’t get anywhere close to that.
I'm pretty high on Parekh. Right now, I have him as the 2nd best defenseman behind Levshunov

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Historically yes, but Hockey is evolving. Lumbering dmen are dying out. In 10 years speed and skill are going to be the end all be all in the NHL. Saginaws coach honestly is kinda leading the forefront of that mentality. Once the old boys club in the nhl dies off you will see massive changes to the sport .

That said Zayne isn’t great in his own end, but you comped Merkley and DeAngelo. Both aren’t as good offensively as Zayne and both are locker room cancers which is why they can’t stick in the NHL. Hell DeAngelo gets opportunities despite being a shit person because of his offensive abilities
i didn‘t comp Merkley, I comped Murphy.

The NHL landscape is constantly evolving, but the one truth that come up over and over again is that big players are what gets you far in the playoffs. Teams love big players that are physical, that can skate and have skill. it’s what win playoff games.

Players like Parekh have always been a detriment come playoff time. he is the kind of player Internet scouts like you or I are going to love more than actual NHL teams.

Reactions: ello

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
i didn‘t comp Merkley, I comped Murphy.

The NHL landscape is constantly evolving, but the one truth that come up over and over again is that big players are what gets you far in the playoffs. Teams love big players that are physical, that can skate and have skill. it’s what win playoff games.

Players like Parekh have always been a detriment come playoff time. he is the kind of player Internet scouts like you or I are going to love more than actual NHL teams.
The new “meta” right now is Size + Skating for defensemen. The trend tends to change every 4 years or so. Not long ago, it was all about the smooth skating offensive defenseman. If a defenseman is dynamic enough offensively, they can be pretty valuable come playoff time. I think Parekh has a lot of dimensions to the offensive side of his game and his defensive instincts are decent. Thats just my opinion

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Adam Fox is a terrible comp for this player. He is and has been a good two way defender since the age of 16.

Parekh is too risky to take above guys like Buium, Leuvushov, Dickinson, or Jiricek. hell, even Yakemchuk who I don’t like I think has better tools for the NHL. Parekh hasn’t showed any consistent stretches of defensive ability at any level. Hughes, Makar and Fox all showed promise. these players are way too risky to bet a top-10 selection on. Tony DeAngelo, Ryan Murphy, are all examples of OHL d who have done something similar recently. all 3 haven’t become close to Makar or Fox.

Levshunov is not exempt from all reproaches. Neither does Jiricek.Parekh isn't bad in the game without the puck either.Failing Adam Fox, since this example doesn't look good to you, Quinn Hughes.

It is a mistake to think that he is a player comparable to Dragicevic. Parekh is much more responsible.

His talent is so enormous anyway, that an average level of defense still allows him to be advantageous.

This is what we call an attacking fullback. .

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
He’s got defensive issues. They don’t seem insurmountable to me. I don’t think he lacks the awareness and hockey sense necessary to round out. I think he’s too aggressive and gets caught lacking because of it. And I think he’s a junior player so it’s not an issue for his coaches and it’s basically working at this level. It’s hard to be a defensive force when you’re way behind the play, deep in the zone on a pinch when it goes the other way.

I’m not going to pretend his issues are limited to transition. His in-zone defense isn’t good either. He’s a 17 year old junior player. Structure isn’t exactly the top headline in the OHL. And he’s really scrawny. Not very tall and really very thin. He’s not built to close on guys quick, gap up, and play tight.

A lot will come down to development. No different from safer players that flash some offensive tools you hope they can develop. This is the flipside of that coin.

Parekh is too risky to take above guys like Buium, Leuvushov, Dickinson, or Jiricek. hell, even Yakemchuk who I don’t like I think has better tools for the NHL.

I’ve got him behind those guys too. But I still have him in the first half of the first round. There are just a ton of defenders I like early in this draft.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
He’s got defensive issues. They don’t seem insurmountable to me. I don’t think he lacks the awareness and hockey sense necessary to round out. I think he’s too aggressive and gets caught lacking because of it. And I think he’s a junior player so it’s not an issue for his coaches and it’s basically working at this level. It’s hard to be a defensive force when you’re way behind the play, deep in the zone on a pinch when it goes the other way.

I’m not going to pretend his issues are limited to transition. His in-zone defense isn’t good either. He’s a 17 year old junior player. Structure isn’t exactly the top headline in the OHL. And he’s really scrawny. Not very tall and really very thin. He’s not built to close on guys quick, gap up, and play tight.

A lot will come down to development. No different from safer players that flash some offensive tools you hope they can develop. This is the flipside of that coin.

I’ve got him behind those guys too. But I still have him in the first half of the first round. There are just a ton of defenders I like early in this draft.
i think it’s absolutely fair to have him in the mid teens. His upside is tantalizing but like most GM’s, I’d rather bet on the guy with good size and skatint that can also chip in on offence here and there that you hope continue’s to evolve this over time over a full blown offensive guy who is wildly effective in the system he plays but may struggle to find the same success under different coaching.

I have a problem with him in the top-10, I think there are better bets there.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I see some kylington in him. both in terms maybe stylistically, but also seems like better talent analogue than fox (who is basically a unicorn to be so incredibly good with his physical limitations) or Makar. And while I could certainly see parekh falling short of kylington as a player, at this point I don’t see him likely to exceed Oliver. I think that is someone you would be happy with drafting in 20s, not sure much higher.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’ve only seen one full game from Parekh, but there were a couple moments where I questioned if he knew what defense was. One particular play where a guy just absolutely turned him inside out, like he was a ten year old plopped into a major juniors game for the first time.

It would be silly to judge by a few plays in one game… but it did not give me a good first impression. Hopefully it was just an aberrant game and he progresses well through the rest of the season.

PittsburghHustlers

Jan 9, 2017
Stockholm
In a draft like this (lacking of high end skill) I'd be happy to draft Parekh in the top 5. His ceiling is close to Celebrini's IMO, although with a much lower floor. I also believe his defence isn't as bad as people are suggesting.

• Wow
Reactions: Groo and dr1234

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I’ve only seen one full game from Parekh, but there were a couple moments where I questioned if he knew what defense was. One particular play where a guy just absolutely turned him inside out, like he was a ten year old plopped into a major juniors game for the first time.

It would be silly to judge by a few plays in one game… but it did not give me a good first impression. Hopefully it was just an aberrant game and he progresses well through the rest of the season.
I haven’t watched him a ton. Maybe 8 or so games this season.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Not pure offensive defenders that don’t show any care about their end of the ice. They‘re not very successful in the NHL…
Except we know this is false since the best defenseman of his generation and reigning Norris winner grades out negatively defensively.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Except we know this is false since the best defenseman of his generation and reigning Norris winner grades out negatively defensively.
Does Parekh have a better shot at becoming Karlsson than not? I think he has a much higher chance not being Karlsson. This is an extreme boom bust type of prospect. I doubt a team blows a top 10 pick on such a risky pick.

Always gotta love when people compare a prospects short coming to the short comings of the best of the best. See, look at what this amazing player was able to over come, its a guarantee this 17 year old will do the same.

Like no, more often then not you end up with a Ryan Murphy or a Deangelo instead of another Karlsson.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Does Parekh have a better shot at becoming Karlsson than not? I think he has a much higher chance not being Karlsson. This is an extreme boom bust type of prospect. I doubt a team blows a top 10 pick on such a risky pick.
Geez. Don't hurt yourself going out on that limb lol.

Yes, there is a good chance that a team doesn't select him in the top 10 since he doesn't check the usual hockey guy boxes. Teams naturally mitigate risk at the top. You could argue that's why they are picking in the top 10 in the first place. It doesn't really change the outlook as a player. This league also let the Zellweger's and Hutson's and Casey's fall to the 2nd round. They are always going to undervalue these types of players and overrate their counterparts.

Always gotta love when people compare a prospects short coming to the short comings of the best of the best. See, look at what this amazing player was able to over come, its a guarantee this 17 year old will do the same.
Strawman. Nobody compared him to Karlsson. It was to point out how ridiculous of a statement that poster made. It's almost 2024 and people still speak in cliches that aren't true and we can actually measure with some degree of certainty these days.

Like no, more often then not you end up with a Ryan Murphy or a Deangelo instead of another Karlsson.
So if I don't get a generational player I'll either get a productive, but flawed player or I'll get a flat out bust? Sounds like you explained the draft process perfectly.

Also can we stop with the Ryan Murphy comps. That was a hockey generation ago and I'm going to guess many here didn't watch him play 13 years ago in the OHL. But if we want to go that far back in the archives, can we at least mention Ryan Ellis? Small. Slow. "Only cared about offense". Dynamite with the puck though.

I think there is a big difference in a skater not playing defense at 17 in Junior hockey and being incapable of playing defense (And for the record, he actually graded out quite well defensively as a 16 year old defenseman in the OHL). I think this is the league's biggest flaw in the draft process. Like with Mintyukov last year, Saginaw asks a lot of their defensemen to get involved and push the pace of play. The focus and intensity just isn't always going to be there. There are countless examples of players dinged for their defensive play in Junior who went on to become adequate if not plus defenders in the NHL. On the flip side, how many with questionable puck skills or offensive play went on to be adequate or plus offensive players. That would be quite a short list.

I'm sure if you went back into the Makar thread on here there are multiple bozos saying he won't be able to defend in the NHL. If you watched him play in the AJHL or WJAC how could you accurately project him defending NHL players? You couldn't, but what you could see was an incredible skater, with incredible skill, and an incredible mind for the game. That translates.

At the end of the day, the best defenders are the ones that don't have to play defense as often because they have plus puck skills to move pucks out of their zone efficiently and help convert at the other end. They don't spend unnecessary time trapped in their own zone. Parekh is one of the most skilled and creative defensemen to come around in recent years. And he's right handed. If that isn't your first impression, your process is wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad