RD William McIsaac - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2024 Draft)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
6'3 right handed defenseman, believe he is currently playing on the 2nd pair for Spokane. Saw a tweet from his WHL bantam draft class where they thought he was the 2nd best skater in that class. Thinking he might have a big role for them next year, and checking to see if anyone has more info on this player.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I've watched quite a few Spokane games this season to see Catton and De Luca, so I saw McIsaac a lot too. He's usually on the second D pair with 20-year-old Mac Gross while the first pair is 20-year-old Reagan Wiles with 2023 draft-eligible Saige Weinstein. That defensive group as a whole isn't great, especially when you add in the third-pair guys (04s Brinson, Crampton and Bonni, who plays most games as a forward now). Along with McIsaac being a high draft pick for them, the fact that Weinstein is the only other non-04 is a big reason why McIsaac can be expected to play a big role for them next season.

As to his game and upside, I haven't been a huge fan but he's definitely showing promise. A big body who can skate really well. Not sure about second-best in his bantam draft class, but he's very mobile and fairly quick, making him a strong rush defender. He's also shown the ability to throw hits or just be physical in general, but there's a lot of room for improvement too. I've found him to be fairly conservative on rush defense and would like to see him play more aggressively in all three zones. I'm sure some of that will come with added confidence in a bigger role next year. With the puck, he hasn't shown very much. He has decent speed with the puck, but I don't see him as a puck carrier at the next level as his hands don't look great, at least not consistently. His shot is excellent, with very good strength and decent accuracy, but he tends to fire it from bad angles and wants to get rid of the puck as soon as he gets it. Not sure if he has the puck skills to fake out opponents and get himself into better shooting positions, but he should definitely be able to grow into a puck distributor with a good shot.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Impressed with his development lately. Seems to be more involved with the offense. Any Spokane watchers confirm? Not seeing his name in lists but I can see him sneak into the 1st round.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Impressed with his development lately. Seems to be more involved with the offense. Any Spokane watchers confirm? Not seeing his name in lists but I can see him sneak into the 1st round.
I’d be SHOCKED if he’s anywhere near the first round. Haven’t been watching Spokane a whole lot but when I did he was usually okay to good, not great. He put up 5 points in his last 3 games but before that he sat at 1 goal and 9 points in 30.

Big right-shot D will always get NHL interest but McIsaac still hasn’t shown much offensive upside at all and I don’t see a reason why anyone would spend a first on him. Maybe top 3 rounds based on size and upside alone but I saw him as a late round candidate so far.

Reactions: Bubbles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad